Christchurch

Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch

Originally Posted by adamlt1972
Avoid Phillipstown and Aranui.
Suburbs like Merivale, Papanui, Cashmere and Beckenham are nice, but can be pricey.You could look at places like St Albans, Bishopdale, Parklands and Ilam will be nice enough, and maybe a little more affordable.
Places like Avonside and Bexley have been badly hit by the quakes (and as other posters have indicated rentals can be difficult at the minute as a result of the quake).
Parts of St Albans and Parklands are also affected by the quake
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

usernoel03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Christchurch

Thanks to everyone for their help. I've got a list of web sites for holiday lets, ill let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
and Rangiora, it's not dangerous, just dull and full of poms....
How jolly rude!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:36 am
Just Joined

usernoel03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodlea
How jolly rude!
Sorry, was not intensional
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by usernoel03
Sorry, was not intensional
I think they meant me...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Christchurch

I’m in Christchurch for a few days this week (necessity has meant for the first time in almost 7 years of living here I have to go to the south island). Most of my business will be in the city (a few different spots), should I hire a car or risk public transport? Also if I use a bus which ticket should I get?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I’m in Christchurch for a few days this week (necessity has meant for the first time in almost 7 years of living here I have to go to the south island). Most of my business will be in the city (a few different spots), should I hire a car or risk public transport? Also if I use a bus which ticket should I get?
I am quite embarrassed to say that I have never been on a bus in Chch and can't help you there. However there is quite an extensive bus network here.
Try thishttp://www.metroinfo.org.nz/index.html
If you are staying in the city centre and most of your business is there then you can probably walk to wherever you need to go. You probably wouldn't need to hire a car, it all depends on how far out you need to travel.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a car or public transport? The answer of course depends on where you will be located during your stay and where you need to get to while you are here. If you are mainly in the central city and the local surrounding suburbs, then public transport is cheap and efficient. The bus system uses a pre-pay card called "The Metro Card". It's free to obtain, just load up with minimum of $10 and you are good to go. When you hop on the bus, scan it at the machine and it deducts the cost from the balance. You can top it up on the bus or at the main depot. Information on the Christchurch Metro Card and bus timetables are at the Metro website (posted by "Persephone")
By the way, there is a free bus that travels up and down Colombo Street (The main high street in Christchurch).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:05 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Christchurch

Hated the city, loved the people. Just needs a few more quakes to sort out the dire city planning.

Those Christchurchers are real party people , first and last time I drink too much and forget where my hotel is .
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Hated the city, loved the people. Just needs a few more quakes to sort out the dire city planning.

Those Christchurchers are real party people , first and last time I drink too much and forget where my hotel is .
Just out of interest.. whats so bad about it?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't feed the Troll Dusty !
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Yotty
Don't feed the Troll Dusty !
but it's sooo much fun....
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: Christchurch

but it's sooo much fun....
<Returns to living under bridge.>
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

and Rangiora, it's not dangerous, just dull and full of poms....
and Rangoons