Christchurch?

Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Default Re: Christchurch?

Thanks everyone, its surprising what very different views you all have on christchurch but its great to read. I've applied for the job in Te Puke now so we will wait and see. Its a 10 week countdown now till I have to resign if we are to leave in December, so i'm hoping theres lots of jobs to apply for as the more i apply for the more chance i have of getting one of them. I will keep christchurch in the back of my mind but i don't think its the place for us.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Christchurch has been my home city since 2004. I did leave at one point, but I moved back here a couple of years ago because i missed it!

It's a beautiful city full of greenery (hence the name garden city), so this makes for beautiful colours, especially during spring, summer and autumn.

There's plenty to do in and around the city. Lots of live music, restaurants concerts, sport, beaches and your not far to the mountains either.

Christchurch is like any other city in that it has 2 or 3 dodgy areas where you would not really want to live (although there are still nice streets amongst these areas and if you took a drive around these areas, you probably would not even know!)

But on the whole, if you find a nice suburb, things are great.

The Winters here are usually cold and damp, but the rest of the year is lovely. Warm days and nights with Summer temps from 20-30+ deg c.

On the whole I would not leave the city now. I love it here. Dont get me wrong, I have had some bad experiences here, but it has not deterred me from the bigger picture, and that is that it's a fabulous place!

grant
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Grantanddebs..

I love Christchurch, we lived here and returned to Oz, what a mistake!! We are making tracks to move back next year..

The kids love it better, we love it better, I'm not going to add any more to the post as Grantanddebs really said it all for me..

Lets just say (even as an Aussie!), life across the ditch aint always that grand!

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
Christchurch has been my home city since 2004. I did leave at one point, but I moved back here a couple of years ago because i missed it!

It's a beautiful city full of greenery (hence the name garden city), so this makes for beautiful colours, especially during spring, summer and autumn.

There's plenty to do in and around the city. Lots of live music, restaurants concerts, sport, beaches and your not far to the mountains either.

Christchurch is like any other city in that it has 2 or 3 dodgy areas where you would not really want to live (although there are still nice streets amongst these areas and if you took a drive around these areas, you probably would not even know!)

But on the whole, if you find a nice suburb, things are great.

The Winters here are usually cold and damp, but the rest of the year is lovely. Warm days and nights with Summer temps from 20-30+ deg c.

On the whole I would not leave the city now. I love it here. Dont get me wrong, I have had some bad experiences here, but it has not deterred me from the bigger picture, and that is that it's a fabulous place!

grant
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:35 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

We are loving ChCh & can't wait for summer here - we're walking distance from the arts centre & it's brilliant on days like today (when there's a teensy bit of sun lol) and we can walk across the road to the park, feed the ducks, kick a ball, or walk a bit further and check out the markets, buy german sausage (what is it with all the frankfurter vans???) and then chill out watching the sword juggler or inspecting the stuffed birds in the museum.

I like the touristy aspect too as there always seems to be people out and about and that means the cafes/attractions stay open for us too!

Except for the heart palpatations over lack of job (which will hopefully change soon ) I'm glad we came to Christchurch.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Yep, summer is beautiful in Christchurch..Oz is too hot for me, and I am from there!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:27 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm a Queenslander so very excited at the prospect of a summer where we can enjoy ourselves rather than just be grateful we survived another year without melting or combusting!!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
I'm a Queenslander so very excited at the prospect of a summer where we can enjoy ourselves rather than just be grateful we survived another year without melting or combusting!!
Then you can totally relate to what I'm talking about!

Summer in Christchurch is beautiful most of the time, you can do everything we can't do in Oz when it's too hot! I never turned on the reverse cycle in summer, sometimes you can get the odd dodgy day (the first 3 weeks of January this were pretty dismal!), but you don't get the humidity..

The trade off is winter is pretty cold, but you become accustomed to it eventually, as long as you find a decent home..
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:12 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread....

I forgot to tell you.... Am moving to Christchurch... Starting at the end of September!!

Christchurch, here i come!!

Now, what does a single gay man do in Chc?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
I don't know, but I'm sure you'll find plenty to do! Welcome to the Chch!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread....

I forgot to tell you.... Am moving to Christchurch... Starting at the end of September!!

Christchurch, here i come!!

Oh welcome!!! Have you changed your job - apologies if I've missed something -

Jan
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:01 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Oh welcome!!! Have you changed your job - apologies if I've missed something -

Jan
Thanks Jan!

I've been offered a promotion within the same company just in a different hotel :-)

I might end up meeting you guys ;-)
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jan!

I've been offered a promotion within the same company just in a different hotel :-)

I might end up meeting you guys ;-)
that would be cool