British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   in Christchurch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christchurch-445354/)

pommie2000 Apr 27th 2007 2:14 am

in Christchurch

Hello,

I have been in Christchurch for sometime...love it here although a little chilly today :rofl:

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 27th 2007 3:26 am

Re: in Christchurch

Hello Pommie2000,
It is a bit cold today! And rainy! Altogether a bit like England, but with better scenery!

How long have you lived here, and where abouts do you live?

sky Apr 27th 2007 5:32 am

Been working flat out today so can't say I noticed until I came home :eek:
Busy trying to light the really rubbish fire in our rental now to warm our toes!

mcuddy1 Apr 27th 2007 5:41 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4703596)
Been working flat out today so can't say I noticed until I came home :eek:
Busy trying to light the really rubbish fire in our rental now to warm our toes!

We are Freezing today. Radiator is on but makes no difference, I might have to light the fire. The house we rented is only 6 years old but lacks any warmth.
I suspect if I look inside the wall cavity there will be nothin but fresh/cold air.
Brrrrrrr:ohmy:

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 27th 2007 6:02 am

Same here - tis a bit nippy! Luckily I picked up a 3 bar heater from the roadside in summer, repaired it, and it is now doing a great job of keeping our tootsies warm. Just call me pikey ;)

Gawd knows what winter is going to bring in the way of leccy bills! :blink:

happynz Apr 27th 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4703637)
Same here - tis a bit nippy! Luckily I picked up a 3 bar heater from the roadside in summer, repaired it, and it is now doing a great job of keeping our tootsies warm. Just call me pikey ;)

Hmmm...it's character-building.
;)

Andrew Cross Apr 27th 2007 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4703637)

Well done pikey...

I had our radiator on today and my big fluffy sox n slippers. Guy coming next week to measure us up for a heat pump....yippee :D

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 27th 2007 8:24 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 4703672)
Hmmm...it's character-building.
;)

You're not wrong there - the question I have to ask myself is: Do I really need this much character? ;)

Wiz'n'Ton Apr 27th 2007 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross (Post 4703864)
Well done pikey...

Nicely done :rofl:

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross (Post 4703864)
I had our radiator on today and my big fluffy sox n slippers. Guy coming next week to measure us up for a heat pump....yippee :D

Them heat pumps is good they is! Got one at work, and had it on for first time today - proper chuck the heat out. And you know what? They don't have elements or anything. Apparently the air is drawn through a succession of tapered tubes that go to titchy tiny size. This makes all them lickle air molecules move around like crazy so creating heat, so all that's needed is the power of the fan to suck it through the tubes.

Clever peeps them heat pump fellows, eh?

Here endeth the first (physics) lesson ;)

pommie2000 Apr 27th 2007 8:37 am

FREEZING today, :rolleyes: never mind

been here a couple of years from London, all good. have just heard about this place

stacey19 Apr 27th 2007 11:31 am

soooooooo cold here!!

Lenmil Apr 27th 2007 2:35 pm

I suspect if I look inside the wall cavity there will be nothin but fresh/cold air.
Brrrrrrr:ohmy:[/QUOTE]

The rental we had in CHCH had no insulation at all. I looked through a gap in the kitchen window and there was nothing, shone a torch too and nothing to be seen. If we get back that's one job we will do first with the pink bats.

sky Apr 28th 2007 6:41 am

Just been shopping for a wood burner burner today, because we live outside Christchurch city and we are on a ten acre block we don't have to buy a clean air approved fire and can go for one that will stay in all night too.
I don't like heat pumps, they seem drafty and give me goose bumps, I also have heard that they don't work very efficiently when the temp is very low outside.

nzer57 May 1st 2007 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4709063)
Just been shopping for a wood burner burner today, because we live outside Christchurch city and we are on a ten acre block we don't have to buy a clean air approved fire and can go for one that will stay in all night too.
I don't like heat pumps, they seem drafty and give me goose bumps, I also have heard that they don't work very efficiently when the temp is very low outside.

You might want to think about becoming carbon neutral. If you're going to run a log burner think about planting a few trees every year.

If you live on a 10 acre block plant a belt of willow trees. Within 3 - 5 years they'll provide all your energy needs and and you'll eventually be carbon negative within about 5 years.;)

sky May 1st 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by nzer57 (Post 4721854)
You might want to think about becoming carbon neutral. If you're going to run a log burner think about planting a few trees every year.

If you live on a 10 acre block plant a belt of willow trees. Within 3 - 5 years they'll provide all your energy needs and and you'll eventually be carbon negative within about 5 years.;)

Errrm, I think we'll be ok ..... we have 2500 pine trees on our block :rofl: