Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

CHILDRENS CARSEAT REGULATIONS

CHILDRENS CARSEAT REGULATIONS

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:51 am
Tartan Treasure

p9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nicep9atp is just really nice
Question CHILDRENS CARSEAT REGULATIONS

Hi can anyone tell me the carseat laws and regulations for NZ???
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:18 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHILDRENS CARSEAT REGULATIONS

Originally Posted by p9atp
Hi can anyone tell me the carseat laws and regulations for NZ???
At the moment only children up to 5 have to have car seats or boosters.

But 60% of these children don't and partly as a result New Zealand has the highest child death rate in motor accidents in the OECD.

They are talking about raising the requirement till 12 years of age but not until after 2020!

My advice - forget what the law says and do whats right for your children (and accepted by the more forward thinking law makers) and use boosters or seats until such time as they are big enough for the seat belts to fit SAFELY.

...oh and ALWAYS put them in the rear seats - the number of kids I see here in the front seats when the rear ones are empty is frightening. Last week a child was killed in the front seat of a car - he was 8!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow

But 60% of these children don't and partly as a result New Zealand has the highest child death rate in motor accidents in the OECD.

They are talking about raising the requirement till 12 years of age but not until after 2020!

My advice - forget what the law says and do whats right for your children (and accepted by the more forward thinking law makers) and use boosters or seats until such time as they are big enough for the seat belts to fit SAFELY.

...oh and ALWAYS put them in the rear seats - the number of kids I see here in the front seats when the rear ones are empty is frightening. Last week a child was killed in the front seat of a car - he was 8!

i saw this last night on the news and it was horrible them 2 poor kids. I say same as you keep them in the same seats as you would of back in the uk.. Lucy is only in a booster seat the now as we are waiting on her proper car seat coming over on container..but atleast she strapped in. apparently over here its the law that all kids under 12 sit in the back or so my car sales man told me but i have seen lots of kids in front, also not strapped in . but then i did back in the uk also my 8 year old brother sits in the front of his dads car , so it does happen everywhere

sad that its going to take so long to be enforced , so really is upto us to keep our kids safe

caz
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if we had to place a vote of best post of the week you would get my TOP TEN OUT OF TEN
I drive a lot during the day and lots have no regards at all, for safety for the children as this post said FORGET WHAT THE LAW SAYS DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOUR CHILDREN use the belts and boosters at all times
Lin
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=harrogate girl;7223323]Hi if we had to place a vote of best post of the week you would get my TOP TEN OUT OF TEN

Thanks Lin, you made my day

By the way does 'Harrogate Girl' refer to Harrogate North Yorks? I was born there and grew up between Wetherby and Leeds (place called Bardsey). had loads of mates from Harrogate (which is a great place)
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Wooly_Cow;7223345]
Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Hi if we had to place a vote of best post of the week you would get my TOP TEN OUT OF TEN

By the way does 'Harrogate Girl' refer to Harrogate North Yorks? I was born there and grew up between Wetherby and Leeds (place called Bardsey). had loads of mates from Harrogate (which is a great place)
Hi I was born in Leeds lived in Cookridge moved to Harrogate, then to Ferrensby just up the A1 North of Wetherby dont you just love the Wetherby whaler fish and chips as for Bardsey loved the small village just could not afford a house:curse: small world..
Lin
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:08 am
Cow on the Beach

[QUOTE=harrogate girl;7223506]

Hi I was born in Leeds lived in Cookridge moved to Harrogate, then to Ferrensby just up the A1 North of Wetherby dont you just love the Wetherby whaler fish and chips as for Bardsey loved the small village just could not afford a house:curse: small world..
Lin
Ah I know all those places well

I don't want to use up this thread to reminisce but…… the Whaler was so good…much better than the Greasy Grouper in Seatoun…I used to get a bag of chips and scraps before getting on the bus home…and I was only allowed to eat on the bus if I gave the driver some chips! (might try that on the Go Buses in Wellington!)

…and I lived with my parents in Bardsey…it was their house that cost them 3,000 pounds (yeah it was a long time ago)

Do you still have links to Gods Own county or better still Leeds?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:39 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Wooly_Cow;7224276]

Ah I know all those places well

I don't want to use up this thread to reminisce but…… the Whaler was so good…much better than the Greasy Grouper in Seatoun…I used to get a bag of chips and scraps before getting on the bus home…and I was only allowed to eat on the bus if I gave the driver some chips! (might try that on the Go Buses in Wellington!)

…and I lived with my parents in Bardsey…it was their house that cost them 3,000 pounds (yeah it was a long time ago)

Do you still have links to Gods Own county or better still Leeds?
OH GOD SCRAPS!!!!!! had a few when I was back in Leeds in May 2008 (dad passed away in Leeds LGI) we need to start a new post on SCRAPS Sorry we should be on carseats

Lin
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I've lived in NZ for much of my life and I've never heard that kids under 12 have to sit in the back. That has never been a rule here as far as I have heard and I have one kid still under 12. You have to have an approved carseat for children under 5. After that I think it's up to your discretion. Two of my kids were very snall so I kept them in carseats longer. Cops here regularly check your carseats and you are given 10 days to fix anything wrong or you get a really big fine.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

stickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant futurestickystickman has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Wooly_Cow;7223345]

I live in Harrogate and in my humble opinion this area is as good as it gets for the UK

If everywhere was as good as Harrogate then nobody would be considering emmigrating
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I've lived in NZ for much of my life and I've never heard that kids under 12 have to sit in the back. That has never been a rule here as far as I have heard and I have one kid still under 12. You have to have an approved carseat for children under 5. After that I think it's up to your discretion. Two of my kids were very snall so I kept them in carseats longer. Cops here regularly check your carseats and you are given 10 days to fix anything wrong or you get a really big fine.
Was the sales person at max penningtons that told me as i was asking him about carseat regs etc as i wasnt sure... quite right though front seats are for adults , i was never allowed in the front as much as i tried all the time to get in there
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, interesting. Like I said, if it's law I've never heard of it and those kinds of laws are usually broadcast on telly a lot. Never been pulled up for it either. My kids in carseats were always in the back. Most of my kids are older now and usually the younger one (10) travels in the back with a friend, but occasionally if it's just the two of us in the car she travels in the front. I expect it is usually safer in the back, but mostly we're only travelling for less than 10 mins at 50k across town, which doesn't seem too risky.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Yeah, interesting. Like I said, if it's law I've never heard of it and those kinds of laws are usually broadcast on telly a lot. Never been pulled up for it either. My kids in carseats were always in the back. Most of my kids are older now and usually the younger one (10) travels in the back with a friend, but occasionally if it's just the two of us in the car she travels in the front. I expect it is usually safer in the back, but mostly we're only travelling for less than 10 mins at 50k across town, which doesn't seem too risky.
i will have to ask him what he meant when i take my car in for its 1k service.i think as long as young kids strapped in in the back is whats important, i hate seeing like 4 kids in the back all jumping about omg that really bothers me
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:22 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=stickystickman;7233413]

I live in Harrogate and in my humble opinion this area is as good as it gets for the UK

If everywhere was as good as Harrogate then nobody would be considering emmigrating
Hi I do belive we was on the subject of car seats!!!!!!
IF you said Harrogate is as good as it gets !!!so why are you looking at Canada as you said in one od your post.. you only live once Harrogate is changing not for the the better??? so are you emigrating NZ or Canada
If Canada you could find more help on that Canada Forum
regards Lin
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:40 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

child restraint rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.