Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Childrens car seats

Childrens car seats

Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default Childrens car seats

Hi

Just wondered what the law is like in NZ regarding childrens car seats please. Is it similar to the UK? Upto what age do they need to have a seat/booster?

Is it worth bring your UK car seats over with you or is it unlikely they will fit?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:55 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens car seats

Try here for some good info

Most car models are sold worldwide to some degree and people and therefore seats will be somewhat the same shape so it will be model-to-model differences that dictate whether a car seat fits or not rather than anything to do with the country it is in. So far as I know ISOFIX is a worldwide standard so if your seats fit those brackets you should be good to go (although there are still some better fitments than others).

We have quite happily taken car seats (non-isofix) on holiday before now and never had a problem...
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Try here for some good info

Most car models are sold worldwide to some degree and people and therefore seats will be somewhat the same shape so it will be model-to-model differences that dictate whether a car seat fits or not rather than anything to do with the country it is in. So far as I know ISOFIX is a worldwide standard so if your seats fit those brackets you should be good to go (although there are still some better fitments than others).

We have quite happily taken car seats (non-isofix) on holiday before now and never had a problem...
Great link, thanks for that! Have some karma
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:38 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Great link, thanks for that! Have some karma
Oooh, my first
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Hi

Just wondered what the law is like in NZ regarding childrens car seats please. Is it similar to the UK? Upto what age do they need to have a seat/booster?

Is it worth bring your UK car seats over with you or is it unlikely they will fit?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Its amazing how many parents have NO idea about the importance of child booster seats..I was one of those plonkers. The booster seat raises said child and causes the lap belt to straddle the upper legs..NOT THE WAIST area where many organs would be mashed on impact if it was resting in the lap area. If you put a small child without a seat booster into a 3 point harness you will see what I mean. And those lap belts some cars have are HUGELY dangerous for adults and more importantly kids. I have heard of cases where less injury would have been sustained had they not been worn. Personally unless its an emergency or an adult who understands the risk I would never ever put a child in one of these useless belts. Better to take an extra car.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its amazing how many parents have NO idea about the importance of child booster seats..I was one of those plonkers. The booster seat raises said child and causes the lap belt to straddle the upper legs..NOT THE WAIST area where many organs would be mashed on impact if it was resting in the lap area. If you put a small child without a seat booster into a 3 point harness you will see what I mean. And those lap belts some cars have are HUGELY dangerous for adults and more importantly kids. I have heard of cases where less injury would have been sustained had they not been worn. Personally unless its an emergency or an adult who understands the risk I would never ever put a child in one of these useless belts. Better to take an extra car.
Completely agree, I'm sure it is law in the UK now for children under 12 (or a certain height) to have to use a booster seat. I cringe when I look back as a kid and there were not even seat belts in the back of most cars