Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Children's birthday cake

Children's birthday cake

Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold
Default Children's birthday cake

$95 for a rectangular sponge made to look like a rugby pitch!!
How can a cake cost the same as...
2 months of Sky TV
A tank of petrol
A 2nd hand wooden chest of drawers
A months supply of gas
A 6 course meal at a very nice restuarant
And the list goes on........sorry rant over
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:34 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children's birthday cake

Is it a very big cake?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:32 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

the puffer we made for K's birthday took in time, 2hrs to make the cake and then cook. halve that as I didn't have the right cookware to cook in one go. so an hour to make the cake, plus the cost of ingredients and electric. Then to create it took MrF 7 hours. and that was the quickest cake we had ever made and he didn't spend time on setting a board just used a plate and iced that. If we were to sell that in the UK, with a proper board we would be charging £80-£100 and that would not cover the real cost of making it if you take everything into consideration.

The Day of the Dead cake on the link that took well over 35hrs of creation and that doesn't take into account the time to make all the cakes, I made 3 large ones which took over 5hrs.

Just had MrF point out that legally we are not allowed to sell cakes here as we do not have any of the legal certificates to allow us to do so.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 16th 2013 at 11:35 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
2 months of Sky TV
A tank of petrol
A months supply of gas
The person/shop making the cake had to...
Do a 3 year apprenticeship to become a pastry chef
Pay rent on a shop
Pay their staff's wages
Pay the costs associated with running the shop (water, electric, insurance, etc)
Buy the ingredients to make the cake/ice it.

Next time, bake your own cake. For the cost of a boxed mix and some tinned icing you can have something that tastes like crap but was cheap.

Sorry, rant over.......mother of an apprentice pastry chef
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moonie2011
2 months of Sky TV
A tank of petrol
A months supply of gas
Where did you get the cake from???
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

It is the price for a 8" square cake, made to look like a rugby pitch with a bit of piped icing with the boys names on it, not from a shop, so no overheads.
Its from wellington and I haven't bought it as can't afford it, it's almost the price of the kids party itself. I will be attempting my own cake I think
It's one of those things that makes me say
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The person/shop making the cake had to...
Do a 3 year apprenticeship to become a pastry chef
Pay rent on a shop
Pay their staff's wages
Pay the costs associated with running the shop (water, electric, insurance, etc)
Buy the ingredients to make the cake/ice it.

Next time, bake your own cake. For the cost of a boxed mix and some tinned icing you can have something that tastes like crap but was cheap.

Sorry, rant over.......mother of an apprentice pastry chef
I don't want an exquisite cake, for a bunch of 10 yr olds who will take one or two bites then run back to the party!! Hence why I didn't ask for a quote from a pastry chef!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Hiya
Apparently £45 would be the approximate in UK (I asked my sis who makes cakes as a hobby)
Check YouTube - I searched 'rugby cake', there is a great football cake made up of chic cupcakes with green icing. I'm sure you could make that work.
Can't believe you hve to do a birthday cake already!
Hope it's going well for you all.
Lisa
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to beholdLb welly is a splendid one to behold

Meant choc!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Pak n Save sell decorated kids cakes - no idea of cost but might be worth you asking.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lb welly
Can't believe you hve to do a birthday cake already!
Lisa
In the 6 weeks we've been here my hubby had his 50th and jake is 8 this week Dan is 11 next week.

Sorted the cake, visiting friends in Nelson, their pak n save does either choc cake or plan, iced with butter cream and hundred of thousands with happy birthday Dan/jake on it for $12 each, bargain for a bunch of kids who won't know the difference
In fact I'm going to spoil them and get one each lol

Yes settling in well, we are renting in Paremata. Haven't forgotten our coffee date but I rarely go into Welly. When I do have plans I will message you )