Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Childish remarks and poor driving!

Childish remarks and poor driving!

Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childish remarks and poor driving!

Originally Posted by Leigh-M
I agree 100% that opinions need to be balanced and based on fact rather than gross generalisations and insults.
Its important to realise that some people come on to this forum looking for some advice so they can make an informed decision about moving to NZ. Its therefore unfair to impose emotionally fuelled insults about NZ to those people. After all is said and done, because of the nature of BE some posters do relish the chance to impose their negative emotions on other people. Sometimes, it feels like they are trying to say " I am hurting therefore everyone else has to hurt" .Its a free world but opinions need to be balanced or forever hold your peace
/takes off tin skid lid/

erm no...........
sorry but you are wrong about "negative" posters ..... in about 99% of cases anyway.......they are mainly trying to apply some balance and help people think about where they are and where they are going - I'm damned certain that I'd have hit a wall when we arrived in NZ had I never read a post with a "negative emotion", "insult" or "emotional" fuel in it.......
anyhow, who's imposing emotions on anyone?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leigh-M
Its therefore unfair to impose emotionally fuelled insults about NZ to those people. After all is said and done, because of the nature of BE some posters do relish the chance to impose their negative emotions on other people. Sometimes, it feels like they are trying to say " I am hurting therefore everyone else has to hurt" .Its a free world but opinions need to be balanced or forever hold your peace
Isn't that about emotional maturity and insecurities? People usually manage to reach some semblance of emotional maturity, whereby other people cannot impose their emotional state upon you, unless you let them? If I cry because someone dies in a TV programme, doesn't that say more about my own emotional wellbeing? It isn't the TVs fault that I cried, I made myself cry.

Without a doubt positive self-expression, of our frustrations, needs, wants, likes and dislikes makes for a more emotionally balanced person, than someone who keeps quiet for fear of offending another person.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
May I suggest that comments like this are nothing but acidic and of no help to anyone thinking of moving to NZ. Can you imagine the furore if I posted said sentiment on the 'returning to UK section'?!!!!!

It is a free world and someone who now lives happily in Oz is free to spend as much time as they want to the NZ forum, its a public forum.

So lets not get personal aye? Keep it real?
Actually, if may I step in about 'keeping it real', don't you think you may have overacted enormously to an off the cuff, throw away remark, about what is afterall a hypothetical $4 million dollars.

I've read plenty of what could similarly be described as caustic and acidic opinions from your goodself about how unsafe you consider the place where the majority of my family reside and why you would never go back there. You often make it out to sound like Toxteth or Brixton, when in MY reality it is one of the most peaceful, unobtrusive vanilla counties one could come across in the UK. So yes, I'm all for keeping it real.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 31st 2008 at 8:23 am. Reason: Stuffed up quote
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Actually, if may I step in about 'keeping it real', don't you think you may have overacted enormously to an off the cuff, throw away remark, about what is afterall a hypothetical $4 million dollars.

I've read plenty of what could similarly be described as caustic and acidic opinions from your goodself about how unsafe you consider the place where the majority of my family reside and why you would never go back there. You often make it out to sound like Toxteth or Brixton, when in MY reality it is one of the most peaceful, unobtrusive vanilla counties one could come across in the UK. So yes, I'm all for keeping it real.
Are all your relatives from central Northampton?? When I talk about feeling unsafe in the UK I refer to a few square miles of Northampton..if your rellies are from there well sorry, as a police officer living and working there maybe I saw the worst it had to offer. It is not acidic saying I felt unsafe in my old neighbourhood. If you knew of the serious crime figures for some of these areas you too may have been concerned. I can back up what I said.

Saying wouldn't go back anywhere for a large sum of money in my opinion is childish..especially as this person is often trying to score points over her new life in Oz over what she left here....maybe that puts it in some context.

I possibly finally reacted to one of what I consider to be way too many bitter digs at NZ from this person.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

A recent poster who was not happy in NZ and moved the OZ, recently (and unprovoked) came out with the comment they would not go back and live in NZ for a very, very large amount of money. By the way it was not a joke of any sort it was purely a derogatory remark.

May I suggest that comments like this are nothing but acidic and of no help to anyone thinking of moving to NZ. Can you imagine the furore if I posted said sentiment on the 'returning to UK section'?!!!!!
If people are not personal or offensive, then let them have their opinion. Obviously, the more constructive a comment is, then the more use it will be.

However, lets get real and say that NZ drivers are frightening indeed, I witness it all the time. There are a hardcore of drivers who think that the road is literally a playground where they can go out and have some fun in their cars, and sod everyone else.

Now in 40+ years in the UK I have never witnessed an attitude anything like that in the UK, maybe its just where I was from, I dunno.

Not only that , there are another hardcore of drivers that think that making their cars as noisy as possible by removing exhaust or "tuning" is a good thing.
I stood at the garage tonight and was just amazed at the number of these idiots going past. God help you if you want some sleep in this country.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Childish remarks and poor driving!

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
don't you think you may have overacted enormously to an off the cuff, throw away remark, about what is afterall a hypothetical $4 million dollars.
Just a tad yes....it was a flippant remark no more no less....anyone who changed their mind about coming to NZ because of it, isn't psychologically stable enough to pass the medical probably and no it wasn't me who made the original remark.

The forum is called 'Living and Moving Abroad'...to me that implies the good and the bad from those who are actually experiencing it or who have done so in the past.
It is not called 'NZ - good news only forum' .

My own view of NZ is that it is a fabulous place for many reasons but seems to be a bit tough financially for most posters on here as many have taken cuts in salary to come here.......this plus the isolation are probably the most important aspects for people to appreciate before moving over here lock stock and barrel.

I am only here for a few years however much I like it (and I do) so none of this truly affects me but that in itself allows me to more easily see the tendency for people to justify their own decision to relocate constantly and for the less positive ones to want to make sure others are not 'misled' because let's face it that is what an overpositive censored forum does..it misleads more than it informs....a forum with a freedom of speech ethic...achieves a balance.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are all your relatives from central Northampton?? When I talk about feeling unsafe in the UK I refer to a few square miles of Northampton..if your rellies are from there well sorry, as a police officer living and working there maybe I saw the worst it had to offer. It is not acidic saying I felt unsafe in my old neighbourhood. If you knew of the serious crime figures for some of these areas you too may have been concerned. I can back up what I said.

Saying wouldn't go back anywhere for a large sum of money in my opinion is childish..especially as this person is often trying to score points over her new life in Oz over what she left here....maybe that puts it in some context.

I possibly finally reacted to one of what I consider to be way too many bitter digs at NZ from this person.
Yes it is childish and I am sure that is how it was meant. Very few people coud turn down $4million with no strings attached, all barring those that may already have enough millions that a few more don't matter. It ain't real, it ain't going to happen, there is no $4 million up for grabs, so why make a big issue out of it?

Having family in the 'force' often bring home the worst of their jobs, have first hand experience on that one. Often unless you go looking for crime you won't find it. It bubbles under the surface, usually in quarters and places where most of us would not or do not venture. I don't see any real crime in the criminal 'hellhole' that Auckland is often painted to be, it's very easy to avoid, but it doesn't mean it's not there.