British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   childcare costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/childcare-costs-510530/)

rach3 Jan 31st 2008 7:48 am

childcare costs

hi could anyone advise me on the childcare avaliable and the types of cost that these are, i have a 17 monthold (would need full time childcare) and a 10 year old (before and after school care), is it like here in the uk practically impossible to get a place
thanks
rachel:D

lizard Jan 31st 2008 7:59 am

Re: childcare costs

Originally Posted by rach3 (Post 5862607)
hi could anyone advise me on the childcare avaliable and the types of cost that these are, i have a 17 monthold (would need full time childcare) and a 10 year old (before and after school care), is it like here in the uk practically impossible to get a place
thanks
rachel:D

Hi, it is free if you earn less than $70,000 per year or $3 per hour if you earn more.

lizard Jan 31st 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 5862638)
Hi, it is free if you earn less than $70,000 per year or $3 per hour if you earn more.

oh I forgot there is different types, we use home care which is very good. There are also playgroups.

lizard Jan 31st 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lizard (Post 5862644)
oh I forgot there is different types, we use home care which is very good. There are also playgroups.

Where we live it was quite easy to find someone we are happy with.

mark and kim Jan 31st 2008 8:42 am

Different story in Wellington. Day care places and nannies are like golddust. You can find morning or afternoon places at kindies reasonably easily but if you are looking for full time care get their names down asap and be prepared for a wait. This may sound a bit negative but we feel its realistic. Kindy is free (need to be 3 though) but you will need to pay at least $15 an hour for a nanny or circa $200-250 per week for full time daycare. Means tested grants may be available to reduce it though.

Mark

Tan0410 Jan 31st 2008 9:49 am

Hi Rach3,

Have recently been in contact with a day nursery (Early Childhood Education Teacher-led place) in Hamilton.

For my two full-time (22 months and 7 months by that point) it's going to set us back $357 per week (inc a 10% discount for the eldest as there's two of them.

With ECE teacher-led facilities there is also the option of 20 hours free when they reach the age of three.

Had a response back saying that they have some children due to start school in July so places should be available then (looking for mid June ideally but will sort something as I like the look of this place).

Seems that it could be hit or miss as to vacancies depending on the ages of their current children as I believe that they start school on their 5th birthday. Certainly pays to get in there early though in case of waiting lists.

p.s. have pm'd you the link to the nursery so you can have a gander.

Tan

happynz Jan 31st 2008 9:54 am

Last year my daughter did OSCAR (out of school care something or rather, not sure what the acronym means) and it was NZ$7 for the morning and NZ$15 or NZ$17 (something like that) for afternoons until 6 PM.

Jude J Jan 31st 2008 9:05 pm

My daughter has been going to a nursery since she was 13 months. I think it is $8 an hour but I've lost track! She has just turned three so some of her hours are free now.
Where are you going? It is the same in Auckland as Wellington, spaces are rare! I need Lola to go full time now (at the moment she does 3 days a week) and she is still on the waiting list 6 months down the line!

MandyB Jan 31st 2008 11:26 pm

Hi, i live in Christchurch, my son (9 yrs old) goes to a private before and afterschool club which is situated right next to his school (they also do full time care for younger children). We pay $6 per hour for before and after school and around $40 per day in the school holidays.