Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

child care options, legal requirements and costs

child care options, legal requirements and costs

Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Question child care options, legal requirements and costs

At the moment my boys are nearly 14 and nearly 9. When we expect to make the move they will be 16 and 11. I will be working shifts in a hospital, possibly and probably in Hamilton.

What can you tell me about the options and potential cost of childcare and at what age I legally won't need it IF I am happy for them to be alone for a period.

Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child care options, legal requirements and costs

I did find this for the legalities of leaving children 'home alone' but nothing for costs...?

http://www.practicecentre.cyf.govt.n...ome-alone.html
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

I am thinking, in theory my eldest (who will be 16) will be mature and responsible enough to be left alone while I work and he's not at school. I will work towards him also being responsible enough to supervise his younger brother (who will be 11) before and after school during term time, so I only need to sort out childcare during the school holidays and only for one child.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:48 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my mum complaining that she couldn't leave my brother and I alone when, as the oldest, I was 16 because we fought so much. The main thing with the 16 year old, and possibly the younger one too is the keep them active. It's usually boredom that gets teens into trouble (and alcohol). Maybe they can get jobs after school, do sports etc.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

when you get here the YMCA offer great holiday schemes my now 13 year still loves it the camps and day care and compared to what I paid in the UK the are excellant value for money (when I talk camps I amtalking equivalent of PGL in UK 600-800pw excluding transport here transport, food activities etc $275for 6 days!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
when you get here the YMCA offer great holiday schemes my now 13 year still loves it the camps and day care and compared to what I paid in the UK the are excellant value for money (when I talk camps I amtalking equivalent of PGL in UK 600-800pw excluding transport here transport, food activities etc $275for 6 days!
Actually you reminded me, at 16 I was a leader at Hunua camp - unpaid, but good experience and it got me out of mum's hair!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

some schools offer after school care facilities. our school charges $5 per hour for a regular and $6 for a casual attendee. not sure if that is the going rate as seems really cheap to me.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:40 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
some schools offer after school care facilities. our school charges $5 per hour for a regular and $6 for a casual attendee. not sure if that is the going rate as seems really cheap to me.
I don't know about after school care, but holiday activities at schools are subsidised in low decile areas. It's $1 a day at my mum's school. Bit more than that in Remuera!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

When I've looked into child care costs and school hol activities, it seemed very very cheap compared to the UK - eg 3 days of horse riding for $150, drama school for $20 a day etc. Very good value.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, I guess it's going to be pretty hard to put a weekly figure on it for my spreadsheet calculations, but it's a start! I will figure some way to show the costs ;-)

PS. There is now an outside chance we could make the move much sooner, in a year rather than 2.5 years. Just need to sort something out to see if it's a goer :-D
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

I use a holiday programme for the main holidays and it works out at $5 per hour. Do check if you qualify for a WINZ subsidy ~ I think the cut off salary is quite high, we qualify for a $3.62 per hour discount, which makes it very affordable. I would agree the quality of care and trips/outings is very high. I certainly don't feel guilty about leaving my youngest there as he is doing so many fun activities. During the last holidays he had a tour around Cadbury's chocolate factory, cycled some of the rail trail, treasure hunts and his favourite a trip to a "haunted" house! Good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:35 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

WINZ subsidy details

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man..._and_rates.htm