Reload this Page >

Child care - to main forum

Child care - to main forum

Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

mattf1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child care - to main forum

Kia Ora.

Hi guys - we are thinking about moving to NZ - I am waiting on a job offer...

We have 3 children under 5 and child care is a big issue.

In the UK my three year old boy/girl twins are about to be government funded into pre-school 5 days a week giving my beautiful wife a well earned break!

I know that school doesn't start until they're 5 in NZ is there any funded childcare at all please?

This might make a big difference as to whether we can make the move or not.

Thnaks and best wishes

Matt
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Child care

Childcare is available here. You can either have your children in centres or homebased childcare (which I do), through private or agencies such as Porse and Banardos.

If you have citizenship, then you can get a Childcare Subsidy, which works in bands dependent on how many children you have and what your gross salary is. You can find details on that in the Wiki section. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...tyle#Childcare

20 free hours are available for 3 and 4 year olds, but you have to find a centre that offers it.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:22 am
Just Joined

fpower is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Child care

Hi there - where is your job if they offer it to you? Only we were in Hamilton and I had NO probs getting my then 3 1/2 year old daughter into funded childcare. We have now moved further south and once again walked straight into "Kindy" as it is called here. It is funded from 3 (for up to 20 hrs) just like the UK but limited to 3 or 4 afternoons a week. Once they reach 4 ish then they are transferred to 5 mornings and on a Fri it is virtually all day.

I have been TOTALLY won over by the childcare here - there are often more mature carers (unlike the UK where they were often only just 18) and this seems to work really well with the kids.

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:41 am
Just Joined

wiltshm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child care

Hi. You have the option of private daycare which is around $70 a day in Auckland or 3 year olds (and over) can go to Govt funded Kindergarten which is much cheaper although it's not full time, I think.

We have our three year old boy in two days at a daycare for $70 a day and two days with a Porse "in home educator" (which was a childminder in the UK) for $45 because over 3s care is part Govt sponsored.

One thing I noticed about daycare here is that the ratios are much higher. i.e. over twos: one adult per 7 or 8 children (compared with 1:5 in the UK) and under twos: one adult per 5 children (compared with 1:3 in the UK). Plus most daycares don't give them breakfast or dinner.