Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit / Working Tax credit equivalent

Child Benefit / Working Tax credit equivalent

Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Child Benefit / Working Tax credit equivalent

I guess unless you have found yourself in that situation you would find it hard to comprehend or understand.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
Question

Has any of the responding posters got children or been eligible for Working For Families Tax Credits? And has any of the responding posters had the misfortune and bad luck of not having a job within the first two years of arriving here?
I'm guessing the above post is about you talking about you again.
We've already heard about what you feel happened to you with a previous employer of yours .

As far as I can see, the Opening Poster has received good information and solid hard facts in answer to her question about Working Tax Credits and the eligibility for them.

As it happens I do know a few families who have found themselves without work. Those with PR found themselves work in the orchards, shelf stacking etc . Those that were on temp work permits had a far harder time , were not entitled to any benefits of any sort ,but still managed to find work within their skill category , albeit at a ridiculous low wage which was just on the cusp of the going rates allowed by NZIS.
They pulled through & now have gained PR through the SMC.

I guess unless you have found yourself in that situation you would find it hard to comprehend or understand.
Do you really think that no-one else here knows about hardship first hand ?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:24 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Actually no I was not talking about me or my situation with the information. It is good to know thought that when things do turn less than desirable that you can seek help financially without running into a debt trap that could severly set you back when things get back on track and make you feel it was not a good move.

What visa category would allow a family to move over with no-one having work or money?
We did on a PR for the first six weeks and it was not until the family enlargement started(a baby due) that we found out from a nice lady at WINZ that we could have claimed a financial hardship benefit if our savings was under a certain level from day one.

And how could you not find work or any kind in 2 years?
Did I say that? What I said was "the misfortune and bad luck of not having a job within the first two years of arriving here?"

Was refering to a period within that first two years of not having a job OR having a job of a financially sustaining nature (ie part-time below the income thresehold as set by winz) IF you are a Permanant Resident.

Sorry that got misunderstood I hope thats a bit clearer, A close friend works for Work and income so there is a few things that are not generally known or available unless you ask the right questions. Even then its up to individual circumsatnces and determined by the case worker who may or may not have a personal issue with policies. WINZ (work and income) are there for a whole lot more than handing out the dole. They can help you find work and aide the financial hardships if you fall below that minimum working income level, unemployed or part-time.

No one should find themselves in that situation but they do.

Just wanted to clear that mention of the "no entitlements within the first 2 years" point that was raised.