Reload this Page >

Child Benefit Advice

Child Benefit Advice

Old May 7th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough
Default Child Benefit Advice

Hi all,
We are coming over in August, can anyone give us some advice on whether we stop our UK Child Benefit prior to leaving the UK? If so will we be entitled to claim NZ Child Benefit and is it the same amount as the UK? I know the UK/NZ have agreements with regards to various incomes but we are unsure if this extends to Child Benefit. We have PR but have yet to gain employment but will have a UK income.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old May 7th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit Advice

Hi Dave

I do believe that we are not intitled to NZ child benefit but you can claim NZ child tax credits.

And i would of thought you would have to notify child benefit that you are leaving the country, but if i am wrong im sure someone will correct me.

I am going to inform both child benefit and tax credits that we are leaving in August too (hopefully) as i don`t want any problems to arise with having to pay payments back that we were not intitled for, when we leave.

Good luck with your plans.

Ginny
Old May 7th 2009, 8:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Child Benefit Advice

Originally Posted by mac917
Hi all,
We are coming over in August, can anyone give us some advice on whether we stop our UK Child Benefit prior to leaving the UK? If so will we be entitled to claim NZ Child Benefit and is it the same amount as the UK? I know the UK/NZ have agreements with regards to various incomes but we are unsure if this extends to Child Benefit. We have PR but have yet to gain employment but will have a UK income.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi mac917

We notified Child Benefits agency before we left the UK and they cancelled our entitlements straight away.

My friend on the other hand has been in NZ for nealry 4 years and despite her very best efforts ( phone calls, emails and letters by hand!! she is still being paid Child Benefit )

She has shown great self control and has every penny of it sat in her UK account still, knowing that sooner or later the penny will drop and they'll want it all back.

New Zealand has no Child Benefit, however if you have children, got residency and work more than 30 hours a week, you are entitled to claim Working for Families tax credits.

Here's the link to help estimate what you are entitled to
http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/k...mate-2010.html

Please be aware that there is a double tax agreement in place between IRD and Inland Revenue, whereby they share information

HTH
Old May 8th 2009, 2:51 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard there's some clause whereby you can keep claiming for 6 months or is it 12 months, as long as you haven't decided to leave the UK definately. I remember being told that at the end of that time you should write to them and say 'I have now made up my mind to stay in NZ' and they don't claim back the previous months benefit....

...can anyone confirm or is this just a myth?
Old May 8th 2009, 3:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac917
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
I have heard there's some clause whereby you can keep claiming for 6 months or is it 12 months, as long as you haven't decided to leave the UK definately. I remember being told that at the end of that time you should write to them and say 'I have now made up my mind to stay in NZ' and they don't claim back the previous months benefit....

...can anyone confirm or is this just a myth?

You are not entitled to claim CB 8 weeks after leaving the UK...yes they will claim it back.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/...ing-abroad.htm
Old May 8th 2009, 3:04 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are not entitled to claim CB 8 weeks after leaving the UK...yes they will claim it back.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/...ing-abroad.htm
Thanks for that...I guess I should have checked the Direct Gov website.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that...I guess I should have checked the Direct Gov website.
When we moved CB was still deposited in my bank account for years...despite the fact that I had written to them. After about 5 years they asked for the money back....fortunately it was still sitting in my Halifax account.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:10 am
Cow on the Beach

When we moved CB was still deposited in my bank account for years...despite the fact that I had written to them. After about 5 years they asked for the money back....fortunately it was still sitting in my Halifax account.
Did you get to keep the interest?
Old May 8th 2009, 3:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Did you get to keep the interest?
Can't remember...sorry. I remember they said I could pay it back monthly over a 12 period but the money was there so I paid it in full.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:18 am
Cow on the Beach

Can't remember...sorry. I remember they said I could pay it back monthly over a 12 period but the money was there so I paid it in full.
How did they catch up with you? Through the bank? Did the bank give them your details, or did you still get post from your old address?
Old May 8th 2009, 3:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How did they catch up with you? Through the bank? Did the bank give them your details, or did you still get post from your old address?
I had informed them of my US address but it's not difficult to trace someone nowadays...even if it's when you try to enter the UK.