chickens

Old Feb 5th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all
Default chickens

reading a thead about food prices in nz,basics like eggs,cheese and milk,on the eggs side why dont more own thier own chickens or do they,are laying chickens freely available over there? thanks
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: chickens

Yes. 'course they are and do. Loads of people keep a few chooks/hens here. They lay in season and not outside of season. They cost money to keep and more to keep healthy. It's a lifestyle thing is that. It won't save you money TBH.

Eggs can be bought cheap.

Everyday grocery shopping will remain expensive regardless of whether or not you have your own hens and veg garden.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:13 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Wifey explained to me about eggs and veg nutritional values, shelf life etc. I believed that if it was still the right colour and texture that it was good for you, she explained about fresh contains goodness older means colour ok, texture ok goodness lacking. So the beans I once bought in the local supermarket cheap grown in Guatemala could be thrown in the bin whilst we ate the packaging! Exaggerated I know but well along that guide line.
So go but some chooks and plant some sprouts......
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:44 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

As regards owning chooks, you have to be aware of the local councils bylaws. Where I live, you can't keep chickens within the city boundary (officially anyway I think).
But, even though people complain about the prices etc, eggs really aren't that expensive. It may work out cheaper to buy them than have your own chooks.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:29 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I keep chickens and they're blooming brilliant and such a laugh. The food is not overly expensive, and if you have extra eggs you can always sell them to cover the cost of it. ( we live rurally so no issues, I even have a rooster) The difference is taste and quality is beyond words - I honestly don't know if chickens appreciate cuddles and me hanging out with them all the time, but if the eggs they lay is any indication of appreciation, then they do

We also make cheese - BUT - we're lucky as one of our friends is a dairy farmer so he brings down milk straight from the cow - to actually make cheese is pretty expensive if you don't have free milk as it takes a lot of milk to make a little cheese.

Also it is incredibly easy to grow your own veg, you don't even need a garden as lots of things do well in pots. Again - quality is amazing and you know what's been put in it - or not. We haven't bought veg for years.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Can't beat having your own chickens, eggs are wonderful & you sometimes get treats like this, a good triple yolker!!!
Must have made it wince a bit
Our 3 cost us $12 every 5-6 weeks in feed, but we get 15-20 eggs a week for 8-9 months (21 a week at the moment).
Attached Thumbnails chickens-photo_00003.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
As regards owning chooks, you have to be aware of the local councils bylaws. Where I live, you can't keep chickens within the city boundary (officially anyway I think).
But, even though people complain about the prices etc, eggs really aren't that expensive. It may work out cheaper to buy them than have your own chooks.
Ah yes true.
Can't remember what the limit is here. For Nelson City , I think it is 12 hens.

If you are thinking of keeping a few hens, buy your coop whilst still in the UK and ship it out with the rest of your belongings. Coops are incredibly expensive to buy or make here

Pullets are available at certain times of the year. Some breeds are better layers than others

What breed have you got Mickey-D ? Our 3 Wyandottes can be a wee bit hopeless around the edges some days and they get broody. We didn't exactly choose the breed . It choose us when we took in a rooster pecked hen from someone else. So when we wanted a couple more we stuck with the breed for her. Now we have a lovely older hen and two young raptors
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ah yes true.
Can't remember what the limit is here. For Nelson City , I think it is 12 hens.

If you are thinking of keeping a few hens, buy your coop whilst still in the UK and ship it out with the rest of your belongings. Coops are incredibly expensive to buy or make here

Pullets are available at certain times of the year. Some breeds are better layers than others

What breed have you got Mickey-D ? Our 3 Wyandottes can be a wee bit hopeless around the edges some days and they get broody. We didn't exactly choose the breed . It choose us when we took in a rooster pecked hen from someone else. So when we wanted a couple more we stuck with the breed for her. Now we have a lovely older hen and two young raptors
2 Leghorns (2 years old), don't know what the other one is (quite a bit smaller), she just turned up in our garden 5 months ago. She's the one that laid the big egg!! We have to keep her away from the other 2 or all hell breaks loose!!! Our 2 dogs & cats are scared to death of her