Chickens

Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chickens

Originally Posted by Pollster
Lifestyle Block magazine are running a feature on chicken coops next month, Gill - I am waiting for that before I get some feathered friends!

Rob did loads of research on the internet, he asked people who have them how they managed and our kids went to the library. We thought we were prepared. We underestimated just how far they can fly and forgot they could escape under the house !! Thinks I have done a good job clipping Ginga wing and Rob is attending to the "escape gap". We don't have a lifestyle block, just a quarter acre section.

I have to say they are so cute !!. They seemed to like being held, and "cuddled in" when we picked them up. We felt dreadful returning them and the kids were so upset. I think we are better equiped for them now that we have seen just what they are like.

Gill
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:58 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Rob did loads of research on the internet, he asked people who have them how they managed and our kids went to the library. We thought we were prepared. We underestimated just how far they can fly and forgot they could escape under the house !! Thinks I have done a good job clipping Ginga wing and Rob is attending to the "escape gap". We don't have a lifestyle block, just a quarter acre section.

I have to say they are so cute !!. They seemed to like being held, and "cuddled in" when we picked them up. We felt dreadful returning them and the kids were so upset. I think we are better equiped for them now that we have seen just what they are like.

Gill
That's the trouble with animals - you think you are prepared for every eventuality and the buggers still manage to confound you one way or the other! My main concern at the moment is about a guinea pig named Martha who seems to be on the constant brink of a nervous breakdown! (bought on by the unwanted advances of friendship from an over-enthusiastic Springer Spaniel). God knows what we will be like when I get some beefies!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would give a quick up date on the chicken - Ginga. She has settled really well and rarely strays further than 10 foot from the coop. We have blocked off all possible escape routes thanks to some chicken wire from Mitre 10 and are eagerly awaiting our first egg once she comes into laying. We have decided to get a second chicken and have kindly asked "The Evil Chicken Lord" {Jam and Pizza}, if we can have have one of the others back. They are dropping one in tonight.

Gill
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the best and funniest threads on this board.

Keep us updated, Gill.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Friday 10th June and we have .........2 chickens.

Ginga and Pex, who the "Evil Chicken Lord" dropped in last night. This morning I have clipped her wing and she is "confined to barracks" for the next couple of days to re-inforce to her where her home really is !!

The scary things about all this chicken keeping is..... I have turned into my Mother Back home in the UK my Mum would save all her crusts and bread scraps in a plastic bread bag, that has been rolled down, so the "bread would dry out", for her neighbours hens down his allotment. I was always trying to throw it out, but she'd insist on keeping it for "Normans hens".

Well bugger me, I find myself doing the exact same thing. I even had to stop Rob trying to throw it out, being the cheeky blighter he is, he quipped "what? are they for Normans hens??" "No pet, they're for MY HENS"

Will keep you posted.

Gill
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:29 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

After the evening I've just had in the "granules" thread, I've only one thing to say to you about your chickens Gill....Yorkshire puddings and Gravy...yummmm
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Thought you might like to see what all the fuss was about......Pex and Ginga
Attached Thumbnails Chickens-photo011.jpg  
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:55 am
Franklin

Just thought I would give a quick up date on the chicken - Ginga. She has settled really well and rarely strays further than 10 foot from the coop. We have blocked off all possible escape routes thanks to some chicken wire from Mitre 10 and are eagerly awaiting our first egg once she comes into laying. We have decided to get a second chicken and have kindly asked "The Evil Chicken Lord" {Jam and Pizza}, if we can have have one of the others back. They are dropping one in tonight.

Gill
Your chickens wandering off reminds me of the plight of hill sheep farmers who apparently can spend years teaching their flock what is and isn't their turf. Once the adults are in tune with the virtual boundaries (because the farmer keeps yanking them back into the correct area) the adults, bless their cotton socks, pass on their London taxi "knowledge" to their offspring thereby lessening the load on the sheep farmer. If there is some nasty outbreak and whole flocks are put down, some farmers can't take it and quit, they know the huge effort it takes to re-teach a fresh flock of sheep to recognize their turf/virtual boundaries. Sadly, chickens have pea sized brains and consequently have to be kept in their area! Put up that 12' high barbed wire, trim their wings. Or to the chopping block and oven they go!

Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

Thought you might like to see what all the fuss was about......Pex and Ginga
Aren't they cute.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:05 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nessie
Aren't they cute.
They are extremely cute Gill but I prefer myself, (especially wrapped in a pancake with plum sauce!!!!)