Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Chemicals or fillers in NZ Foods?

Chemicals or fillers in NZ Foods?

Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:35 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemicals or fillers in NZ Foods?

Another point re: labelling. It may be on the label if you look but there can be an assumption that if something is savoury then it does not contain or only contains a small amount of sugar. Changing those assumptions needs to come via education. The food industry would change if people started voting with their wallets.
The other assumptions I see with my husband and the inlaws: if something is meant to be sweet then the sweeter the better. It means I cannot eat puddings at their houses, they taste so sweet my teeth hurt just looking at them! And the sugar is just poured into everything and then extra is sprinkled on top No biggie, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth so I don't feel I'm missing out but it just shows the desire for ever increasing sweet things. I have contemplated making dessert whilst there but I know they'd find it not sweet enough-after all it's a pudding and so should be really really sweet
I only make dessert every 2-3 weeks at home and use minimal sugar-MrS is learning to curb his intake

I have always cooked from scratch and that has now extended to making my own bread [am loving my breadmaker!], pizza dough and sauce. As a result I can't think of the last time we ate processed food apart from the occasional tin of spaghetti for him. We have takeaways or eat out once a week. I also cook more than necessary and then freeze meals-healthy fast food!
Helps that I do enjoy cooking and experimenting. I learnt a lot of the basic skills at school and from there realised that it isn't difficult, expensive or time consuming most of the time. Do they have any cookery or nutrition classes at school in NZ? I don't have kids so wouldn't have a clue.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:49 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Do they have any cookery or nutrition classes at school in NZ? I don't have kids so wouldn't have a clue.
They use to, but they were all closed down (just like in the UK). Pity, because I think we need them now more than ever. Individual teachers are trying. I spoke to one recently who was telling me how she took her kids to PakNSave and got them to calculate how many teaspoons of sugar in a range of items. The kids were shocked. This was in one of the poorer areas that has high levels of obesity. The problem is, in the current neo-liberal climate, telling people what they should be eating is called nanny state interference.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:59 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
The problem is, in the current neo-liberal climate, telling people what they should be eating is called nanny state interference.
Yes! So much time for this

Here in the Waikato primary kids are still having cooking lessons at intermediate. In the last two years my daughter has had about 16 full morning lessons. About half were well done lessons where she had to plan and prepare healthy family dinners. The other half were pies, ice cream, cakes ...