Checked luggage

Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:51 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Checked luggage

With max luggage item allowance of 23kg weight and max size L+W+H=158cm
did peeps just go out and buy some cases to max size and fill them to weight or is there a more scientific approach......
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Checked luggage

is there a restriction on size of suitcases that go in the hold?. they really don't mind you be over slightly and at Heathrow they do have weight machines so people can doubly check. we saw a number of people who obviously hadn't done any sort of weight management at home and crammed them full and where so over weight they had clothes and stuff all over the floor trying to get them to fit but in the end they had to bin stuff.

Make sure you read the gumph as well, OH had said the weight restrictions on hand luggage on our transfer down from Auckland to Wellington was 7kg, so we only packed that but it was actually 10kg

Also if your taking shoes fill them with something to save on room.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If you have normal holiday suitcases these would be fine. With 23kg allowance you're likely to run out of weight before you run out of space - so pretty pointless going for the biggest possible cases.

Imagining a set of three matching suitcases, small medium and large. Me and him always travel with the small and medium - basically because we find anything more is way two difficult to manage and manouvre onto and off of buses, luggage carousels etc. Especially if you've maxed up on the hand luggage too.

My smallest case goes about 18 - 19kgs when full.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:48 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If you have normal holiday suitcases these would be fine. With 23kg allowance you're likely to run out of weight before you run out of space - so pretty pointless going for the biggest possible cases.

Imagining a set of three matching suitcases, small medium and large. Me and him always travel with the small and medium - basically because we find anything more is way two difficult to manage and manouvre onto and off of buses, luggage carousels etc. Especially if you've maxed up on the hand luggage too.

My smallest case goes about 18 - 19kgs when full.
Well done BJ that is the info I am after, I didn't want to do a dry run as my packing techniques would mean everything needing ironing again. Men tend to pack less as we are a scruffy lot so 10kg to us is usually all we own....
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:15 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
did peeps just go out and buy some cases to max size and fill them to weight or is there a more scientific approach......
Never seen checked luggage dimensions checked at checkin, they only seem concerned about weight. Unless you DIY your own luggage its likely to comply - guess that is what the airlines work on anyway...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done BJ that is the info I am after, I didn't want to do a dry run as my packing techniques would mean everything needing ironing again. Men tend to pack less as we are a scruffy lot so 10kg to us is usually all we own....
Agree - when my boys made the move one had 11kg and the other 10kg. Left everything else at home for me to eventually pack and ship. Cheers boys!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by chippy64
Agree - when my boys made the move one had 11kg and the other 10kg. Left everything else at home for me to eventually pack and ship. Cheers boys!
It's in the genes and not the jeans........
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

We found them very strick on weight. We were way over (or should I say I was way over) so yes I was that person unpacking and repacking. the guy at heathrow gave us a carry on bag as we were under on our hand luggage so that saved us £550. From Sydney to Wellington we got charged excess. Don't know why I brought so many white t-shirts with me, oh and a sun hat (we arrived in winter). Must of been the stress of the move.
Kaz