Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Checked in Baggage Allowance Increase

Checked in Baggage Allowance Increase

Old May 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Checked in Baggage Allowance Increase

Hiya All,
Searching for flights and just found this on Emirates website:

Emirates has increased all weight based checked baggage allowances by 10 kgs, meaning we now have one of the world’s most generous baggage policies. Economy Class customers can now check in 30 kgs, Business Class travellers may take 40 kgs and if you are flying First Class you can travel with 50 kgs of checked baggage. Piece concept routes are not affected. So please check our baggage allowance calculator to find out which applies to you.
Perfect for all of us planning to travel to NZ!

Hope its of help.
Donna
XX
Old May 12th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Checked in Baggage Allowance Increase

Cheers Donna,
This may swing it for me as I'm looking at baggage allowance instead of time flying.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
Cheers Donna,
This may swing it for me as I'm looking at baggage allowance instead of time flying.
Hi julesnye,
Us too!! Although on travelsupermarket.com Emirates consistantly comes up as the cheapest oneway ticket to NZ!
Donna
XX
Old May 13th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobDon
Although on travelsupermarket.com Emirates consistantly comes up as the cheapest oneway ticket to NZ
Donna,
How'd you get that price, as I get Korean Air coming up at over £100 cheaper @ £562.70, where as I get £694.40 for Emirates
Old May 13th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna,
How'd you get that price, as I get Korean Air coming up at over £100 cheaper @ £562.70, where as I get £694.40 for Emirates
I filled in the travel details and pressed the button!! Not trying to give you a smart arsed reply but that is honestly all I did.
It has brought up the price £513.42 each today (with wefly.co.uk.)
We are flying from Manchester to Dubai, Dubai to Auckland that is for 5 adults on 15/06/09.

Donna
XX
Old May 13th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of

Hi

We booked our flights to NZ yesterday online with Cathay Pacific, family of 4 adults TOTAL PRICE £1377.00 !!!!

Although we only get 20kg baggage allowance with our tickets - don't forget that it may be cheaper to pay at check-in for a few kgs over than more expensive flights offering a 'deal' with 30-40kg allowance.
Some airlines offer migrant flight deals but if you're not going to make use of the FULL baggage allowance, its worth looking at a cheaper ticket and working out your baggage weights.

(Don't forget to join the airlines frequent flyer program - for future trips!)
Old May 13th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobDon
Hiya All,
Searching for flights and just found this on Emirates website:

Emirates has increased all weight based checked baggage allowances by 10 kgs, meaning we now have one of the world’s most generous baggage policies.

Look at this:

Thank you for your email.

Im sorry to advise that we would not permit the additional luggage allowance of 50KG. Unfortunately, one of the terms and conditions as noted in our previous email states you must not have entered the country already on the visa and from your email, the visa has already been utilised.

Im sorry on this occasion we are unable to permit 50KG, however Emirates now gives all economy class customers 30KG checked in baggage and 7KG hand baggage allowance.

Mandy thanks

Mandy
Emirates, UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mandy,
I've been to New Zealand twice since, my wife and children emigrated back in September 2007.
The reason I've not done so is the fact that I have had to remain here to sell the house, of which I had done some 4 times prior to this only to have the buyers buyers pull out at the last minute.
I've now sold the house for a 5th time and can now join my family on a permanent basis.
Does this all mean that, although I have a valid passport, a full PR visa, will have a single ticket, will not stopover in Dubai or or anywhere else, am in actual fact emigrating for good and have never lived in New Zealand other than for the above mentioned visits, that I cant have the extra baggage entitlement? because of my visits to see my wife and children twice in nearly 2 years?
Kind regards
Julian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 12 May 2009 17:14
To:me
Subject: RE: Online booking query: General enquiry / feedback

Thank you for your enquiry.

We currently have a promotion running with www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total. You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, again this is subject to various controls:

• It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

• The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.

• It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.

• Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).

• You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

In other cases where the additional allowance does not apply and you wish to take more baggage than your 20kg allowance, we might also suggest that you send some belongings using the "Unaccompanied Baggage" service offered through various companies. We recommend Emirates Express who can be contacted on 01293 571873.

If you wish to take the baggage with you to the airport, the charge for this will vary according to your destination. London - Melbourne would cost GBP35.00 per kg for example. We would therefore recommend using the unaccompanied baggage service as a less expensive option if possible.

Kind regards

Mandy

Emirates UK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a load of P@@h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I've got to get to LHR and fly with Korean air to get it to 42 kgs.
The B@ggers!!:curse:
Old May 13th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna,
Hiya all,
I should imagine the departure airport and date/time of day/ plays a part in the fluctuation of prices. Emirates is coming up best for us at the moment.

Donna
XX
Old May 15th 2009, 1:24 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Air NZ has one of the best luggage allowances - 2 x 23kg suitcases per person plus 7kg hand luggage on its LAX route. That's as standard regardless of whether you are emigrating or not. There are a lot on here who dislike going via LAX. We've done it 3 times without any problems. It's just 90mins in a transit lounge with free snacks, drinks and TV whilst they refuel and restock the plane although you do have to be processed by US immigration.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Air NZ has one of the best luggage allowances - 2 x 23kg suitcases per person plus 7kg hand luggage on its LAX route. That's as standard regardless of whether you are emigrating or not. There are a lot on here who dislike going via LAX. .......
I agree that its not bead eh, especially if you have young kids or are limited in your movement so you get fast tracked. A long line could be bad though........
Can be worse flying into LAX and not being in transit - in fact with our eldest as a baby it was hell. On the NZ1 flight with two wains it was a breeze.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks for that. Does it apply to all flights do you know?... it seems to read that way. Hubby is off back to the UK as the special surprise guest at his Mum's 80th birthday bash next month, and he's under strict instructions to sort out some of the stuff we left behind and to do some serious shopping, so it's brilliant to think that he might be able to bring it all back without incurring heinious excess baggage charges. He is flying Emirates of course, still the cheapest flight by a good bit for us, but still scarily expensive...some of you are getting really good deals from the sound of it.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

MontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the rough

We are booked with Singapore Airways with one night stop- over in Singapore for £563 each.

That is with 40kg baggage allowance (as long as we present our PR at check-in)

I was very keen to avoid LAX at all costs and Air New Zealand did quote very high on prices. Cathay were the cheapest, 20kg each only and when i spoke to them regarding excess weight they had to quote their standard rate of £35/kg
Old May 23rd 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of

Just found a company whilst looking through some brochures who will take excess baggage at a fraction of the cost the airlines quote.
They will 'hold' it for you, for up to 28days FOC until you can give them an address to send it to.

Take a look: http://www.excess-baggage.com/index.php

We are going to fly out Tuesday and dropping a 'heavy' box off for them in the airport terminal to post out to us once we have a 'home' address.

Not long now!! Just 3 more sleeps !!!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steelblue
Just found a company whilst looking through some brochures who will take excess baggage at a fraction of the cost the airlines quote.
They will 'hold' it for you, for up to 28days FOC until you can give them an address to send it to.

Take a look: http://www.excess-baggage.com/index.php

We are going to fly out Tuesday and dropping a 'heavy' box off for them in the airport terminal to post out to us once we have a 'home' address.

Not long now!! Just 3 more sleeps !!!!
Hi steelblue,
Bet you cant wait to begin the next part of your journey!
Hope you all have a safe journey and keep us posted!

Love Donna & Rob
XX
Old May 24th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Donna,
We flew with Emarites on route to here and because we were emigrating they were a lot more leinient with us, worth while telling them that ......... cant fault them atall on the flight, although the final leg is loooooong 18 hours !!