British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cheapest Supermarket! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cheapest-supermarket-719448/)

Bo-Jangles Jun 3rd 2011 9:20 am

Cheapest Supermarket!

Pak 'n Save win it again, what a surprise? No surprise to me at all, however I think the surprise comes in the huge differences we're talking about - $20 to $25 per week difference on a basket of 40 items between the lowest and highest :blink: Wow, that's potentially over $1000 a year, or two months of free shopping. :ohmy:

Auckland
$125 Pak 'n Save Albany
$129 Pak 'n Save Sylvia Park
$137 Woolworths Meadowlands
$138 New World Albany
$139 Countdown Sylvia Park
$140 New World Botany
$144 Countdown Glenfield
$145 Foodtown Glenfield

Christchurch
$126 Pak'n Save Northlands
$135 New World Bishopdale
$136 Countdown Northlands Mall
$150 Fresh Choice (Merivale)

Wellington
$122 Pak'n Save Lower Hutt
$136 Countdown Lower Hutt
$139 New World Chaffers St
$139 Woolworths Johnsonville

Tauranga
$122 Pak'n Save City
$139 New World Gate Pa
$141 Countdown Fraser Cove
$142 Woolworths Mt Maunganui

Dunedin
$122 Pak'n Save Hillside Rd
$132 New World Cumberland St
$134 Countdown Cumberland St

Palmerston North
$123 Pak'n Save Ferguson St
$135 Woolworths Main St
$136 Countdown Ferguson St
$144 New World Broadway Ave

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/food/news/...ectid=10729823

florabundi Jun 3rd 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Cheapest Supermarket!

Thanks Bo-Jangles, this is really useful. I will be shopping at Pak 'n Save!:thumbsup:

Woodpigeon Jun 3rd 2011 8:14 pm

Interesting reading. But you do also have to take into account how far you have to travel to get to the cheapest supermarket.

For me the savings in purchase costs in going to my nearest local PnS are outweighed by the cost of petrol getting there. However I do make the trip if the car needs petrol cos I know that I'll always qualify for at least 10c off a litre at the PnS petrol station so fill up when I've done the shopping :)

bourbon-biscuit Jun 3rd 2011 9:35 pm

What I have found is that although Pakn'Save may be cheaper on the branded goods, Countdown with its 'Homebrand' range is cheaper when it comes to basics and essentials. Homebrand do very cheap (but decent) baked beans, flour, sugar, sundried tomatoes, kids' lunch box bars etc. I'm off to look at the link but I bet they compared things like branded cereal etc.

ETA: read report, good old NZ Herald tells us nothing. No idea what items were compared but as it says "identical products" this suggests branded to me.

Mrs Pointer Jun 6th 2011 7:20 am

I have found food more expensive here. On average we'd spend £90 a week in Scotland and here it's $250 (£125) which is still a lot when you consider there are only 2 of us haha.

I've tried New World, Countdown and Pak n Save, and the later was $50 less than New World.

However, the fruit didn't last very long and I had to chuck some out and I found the meat and bakery selection pretty poor ie no free range chicken. For stuff in boxes and tins though it's fine.

I didn't like the meat choices in Countdown either. Good teabags though.

I'll maybe just have to visit all three :p

Woodpigeon Jun 6th 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 9412838)
I have found food more expensive here. On average we'd spend £90 a week in Scotland and here it's $250 (£125) which is still a lot when you consider there are only 2 of us haha.

Hell :eek: on average I pay less than that a week to feed a family of 5 - three adults and two teenagers!

dannigirl Jun 6th 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon (Post 9412928)
Hell :eek: on average I pay less than that a week to feed a family of 5 - three adults and two teenagers!

Wowsers WP...share the secret!! Don't your teenagers eat you out of house and home. I spend between £90 - 100 per week, cook from scratch etc for two adults and one toddler!. I think aside from mortgage our biggest outlay will be food in NZ :eek:

Bo-Jangles Jun 6th 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 9412838)

Clearly you're not shopping at Pak n Save or on the frugal mince, pasta, rice regime that we are. :rofl: We spend half of that for two of us, including, catfood, toiletries, cleaning and well just about EVERYTHING.

Have to admit though, I used to spend a lot more in years gone by when we were in the UK and could afford to. Frugality has become a way of life since being here and it certainly wouldn't be my choice to shop around for specials, amongst the sparrows at Pak n Save, if things were different. Even so, I cant imagine how I might spend $250 per week, unless we were to have fillet steak, racks of lamb or poached salmon every day. :lol:

cappuccino Jun 7th 2011 4:17 am

Shopping is a sport here - you have to flit from one to the other to get the best deals! I do the bulk of my shopping in Countdown but there are certain items that are cheaper or only available from Pak n Save. Funny enough both the supermarkets that I go to (Lower Hutt) are the top two in the list for Wellington!

Mrs Pointer Jun 7th 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9413251)
Clearly you're not shopping at Pak n Save or on the frugal mince, pasta, rice regime that we are. :rofl: We spend half of that for two of us, including, catfood, toiletries, cleaning and well just about EVERYTHING.

Have to admit though, I used to spend a lot more in years gone by when we were in the UK and could afford to. Frugality has become a way of life since being here and it certainly wouldn't be my choice to shop around for specials, amongst the sparrows at Pak n Save, if things were different. Even so, I cant imagine how I might spend $250 per week, unless we were to have fillet steak, racks of lamb or poached salmon every day. :lol:

I do have a 6ft 2 husband who eats a lot , and who insists on British recipe baked beans haha.

Don't ask what the dog food costs - they eat better than us and it's a lot more expensive here.

Bo-Jangles Jun 7th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer (Post 9415763)
I do have a 6ft 2 husband who eats a lot , and who insists on British recipe baked beans haha.

Mine is only 2 inches shorter and similarly wouldn't entertain anything other than the Heinz English recipe; there's only so low that I am prepared to go with some things and Watties oddly doesn't feature. :rofl: