Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice
Default Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Is it cheaper to ship your belongings or to buy new when you get to New Zealand. Had some contridicary advice just wondering if anyone knew.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Originally Posted by gozzy View Post
Is it cheaper to ship your belongings or to buy new when you get to New Zealand. Had some contridicary advice just wondering if anyone knew.
I'd say ship it all. Sis in law lives in Auckland and she said the same. If you add up the price you bought all your stuff for in the house it would come to more than the shipping cost. Plus there's apparently not so much choice and most of the stuff is imported. Sis in law went shopping for a chest of drawers and mirror on Sat. Cost her $460 for both and it'll take 3 weeks to arrive. I'm sure you can get second hand stuff much cheaper though....
We're taking everything thats not nailed down or stuck in. What we don't need there we'll sell! Ever the pikey!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

thanks . I understand that our tellies do not work in nz. Are you taking yours . Who do you think is the best to ship with?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Bring everything. we brought a 40 foot high cube container, that says it all.
Furniture is very limited here, your TV will work if you put it through Sky. We did`nt bring ours, but our friends did and it works.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:31 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above - bring it all.

As for tellies. There is a chance that the sound won't work from the aerial, but if you get a Freeview or Sky box you will have no problems.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Yeah again bring the lot, we have only been here 7 weeks, and we got everything and I mean everything packed into our container when we moved out. Our's is staying in the UK until we buy a house, hopefully later in the year. After looking around at furniture etc its very expensive and the choice isn't great.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is..or was in our experience. Bought a 40 ft container..worth EVERY penny..especially from the psychological stand point having familiar stuff around you in a time of great flux!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:38 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yes it is..or was in our experience. Bought a 40 ft container..worth EVERY penny..especially from the psychological stand point having familiar stuff around you in a time of great flux!
I guess I'm a bit of a a contrarian. I love new starts and hate dragging stuff after me. It must not be a good thing though 'cos I hardly have a pot to piss in or a window to throw the pot out of.

Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
I guess I'm a bit of a a contrarian. I love new starts and hate dragging stuff after me. It must not be a good thing though 'cos I hardly have a pot to piss in or a window to throw the pot out of.

Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Ship as much as you can afford. The only thing I wouldn't ship is a boat.
Or a ship.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I'd say ship, ship, ship any time. You simply can't get the choice and variety of furniture an household goods that you get in the UK. This is especially true if you are into modern furniture like IKEA stuff. There is no comparible shop here for those kinds of things, and if you do find modern furniture it will cost the earth.

It's worth the initial expense of moving things simply to have the convenience when you get here, without having to hunt high and low for things which you could have gone down the local high street in the UK to get. For example, we thought we had brought most things (which we did) but left our good coffee perculator and two bedside tables. We hunted high and low for the same and finished up with much, much poorer substitutes as well as lots of hours looking for the same kind of thing.

The possoible exception is TV's which are cheap to buy here and check that your CD's work in NZ.

There's nothing worse than feeling that you could kick yourself for not bringing something which you use every day and cannot get the equivalent here.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:38 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice, we got rid of bit more than we needed to and regretted it when we arrived in NZ. There are enough expenses to cover when moving countries without paying for things that you needlessly got rid of.

When we moved over to Oz the only thing we wimped out on was garden tools and lawnmower, but only because we knew we wouldn't be needing them here (someone does the gardening for us )