British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is it cheaper to ship your belongings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cheaper-ship-your-belongings-527495/)

gozzy Apr 7th 2008 1:11 pm

Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Is it cheaper to ship your belongings or to buy new when you get to New Zealand. Had some contridicary advice just wondering if anyone knew.:confused:

saritabear Apr 7th 2008 4:12 pm

Re: Is it cheaper to ship your belongings

Originally Posted by gozzy (Post 6172507)
Is it cheaper to ship your belongings or to buy new when you get to New Zealand. Had some contridicary advice just wondering if anyone knew.:confused:

I'd say ship it all. Sis in law lives in Auckland and she said the same. If you add up the price you bought all your stuff for in the house it would come to more than the shipping cost. Plus there's apparently not so much choice and most of the stuff is imported. Sis in law went shopping for a chest of drawers and mirror on Sat. Cost her $460 for both and it'll take 3 weeks to arrive. I'm sure you can get second hand stuff much cheaper though....
We're taking everything thats not nailed down or stuck in. What we don't need there we'll sell! Ever the pikey!!!

gozzy Apr 7th 2008 5:37 pm

thanks . I understand that our tellies do not work in nz. Are you taking yours . Who do you think is the best to ship with?

Steve and Julie Apr 7th 2008 7:03 pm

Bring everything. we brought a 40 foot high cube container, that says it all.:thumbsup:
Furniture is very limited here, your TV will work if you put it through Sky. We did`nt bring ours, but our friends did and it works.

RobClubley Apr 7th 2008 11:31 pm

I agree with the above - bring it all.

As for tellies. There is a chance that the sound won't work from the aerial, but if you get a Freeview or Sky box you will have no problems.

juliejamesmcgrath Apr 8th 2008 1:50 am

Yeah again bring the lot, we have only been here 7 weeks, and we got everything and I mean everything packed into our container when we moved out. Our's is staying in the UK until we buy a house, hopefully later in the year. After looking around at furniture etc its very expensive and the choice isn't great.

Genesis Apr 8th 2008 4:01 am

Yes it is..or was in our experience. Bought a 40 ft container..worth EVERY penny..especially from the psychological stand point having familiar stuff around you in a time of great flux!!!!

happynz Apr 8th 2008 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6176187)
Yes it is..or was in our experience. Bought a 40 ft container..worth EVERY penny..especially from the psychological stand point having familiar stuff around you in a time of great flux!

I guess I'm a bit of a a contrarian. I love new starts and hate dragging stuff after me. It must not be a good thing though 'cos I hardly have a pot to piss in or a window to throw the pot out of.

:lol:

Steve and Julie Apr 8th 2008 5:32 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6176271)
I guess I'm a bit of a a contrarian. I love new starts and hate dragging stuff after me. It must not be a good thing though 'cos I hardly have a pot to piss in or a window to throw the pot out of.

:lol:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

danny.f Apr 8th 2008 9:35 am

Ship as much as you can afford. The only thing I wouldn't ship is a boat.
Or a ship.

whitesand Apr 8th 2008 11:21 am

I'd say ship, ship, ship any time. You simply can't get the choice and variety of furniture an household goods that you get in the UK. This is especially true if you are into modern furniture like IKEA stuff. There is no comparible shop here for those kinds of things, and if you do find modern furniture it will cost the earth.

It's worth the initial expense of moving things simply to have the convenience when you get here, without having to hunt high and low for things which you could have gone down the local high street in the UK to get. For example, we thought we had brought most things (which we did) but left our good coffee perculator and two bedside tables. We hunted high and low for the same and finished up with much, much poorer substitutes as well as lots of hours looking for the same kind of thing.

The possoible exception is TV's which are cheap to buy here and check that your CD's work in NZ.

There's nothing worse than feeling that you could kick yourself for not bringing something which you use every day and cannot get the equivalent here.

Nerine Apr 8th 2008 11:38 am

Good advice, we got rid of bit more than we needed to and regretted it when we arrived in NZ. There are enough expenses to cover when moving countries without paying for things that you needlessly got rid of.

When we moved over to Oz the only thing we wimped out on was garden tools and lawnmower, but only because we knew we wouldn't be needing them here (someone does the gardening for us :))