British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cheap stores for getting by! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cheap-stores-getting-775140/)

TJA120712 Oct 19th 2012 7:58 pm

Cheap stores for getting by!

Hi all
Thanks for all the suggestions regards areas to rent.
Just had 5 solid days of viewing and filling in applications!
Due to our circumstances ( only 1 secure job, house mortgage to still service in UK, need to get a car as rental goes back next week ) we have a need to find some stuff to get us by while our stuff gets here in 8/10 weeks.
We have now signed up for a place in Ellerslie but we need a few things to get by as its unfurnished and we move in Monday!
We can see The Warehouse is pretty cheap, any ideas on other places to get stuff?
Need stuff like fridge, microwave, kettle, pans and something to sleep on!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Regards
Ian :eek:

Snap Shot Oct 19th 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Cheap stores for getting by!

Warehouse is about what you are looking at for cheap get you by things. Briscoes sells china, glass, bedsheets and towels. It's a good shop and is having (yet another) sale this weekend. Bed, bath and beyond is a good shop but you might as well get things from Briscoes.

If you're not to proud to buy things second hand scout out the charity shops (known as ops shops in NZ). Also garage sales can be a good hunting ground for second hand stuff. Don't forget the classifieds in the back of the local papers too. I realise no car can be a drag. Good luck buying a car. We bought a Mazda as an import from a normal car dealer and it goes just fine. Ignore the, 'Jap crap' throwaway remark for Japanese imports. Yes, second hand cars are expensive in NZ the folklore is that they hold their value on the resale....we'll see. We did not buy a car until we had been in the country for four months ! Had to give the rental car back after six weeks to save costs as we were both unemployed at that time, so I understand what you're going through. Even though one of you has paid employment. Although we had managed to sell our house prior to leaving the UK.

Also, the dollar shops (the things they sell is such total crap it's entertaining just to browse in there !) can be good. Our local dollar shops are called, 'Coin Save', '321', 2'n'5. Go find yours ! Sunnys is not a dollar shop but the things they sell are about the same quality !

PakNSave has some kitchenware, cheap paper plates etc.

Good luck in your new home.

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2012 10:41 pm

If you want fridge/freezers/microwave you could try Noel Lemmings and don't take their first offer on price always ask for their best price, being cheeky but polite might get you a good saving. I have never paid the price listed in store for any goods from there ;)

Foxesecho Oct 20th 2012 12:37 am

What about renting your white goods? Plenty of people have done so with no problems. Try Mr Rental. They have a number stores around the Auckland area. Just a thought :)

Snap Shot Oct 20th 2012 2:05 am

Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman both sell white goods and other electricals. Harvey Norman also sells furniture. They too have a Labour Day weekend sale. You could get garden furniture as dining room furniture then you've got garden furniture when your 'real' furniture arrives. Harvey Norman have got microwaves of special offere i.e. $78 for their cheapest. There's other good deals too. Don't walk past local furniture shops thinking you won't get a good deal. The brand, '100%' is a franchise. Our local '100%' store run by Dimmocks has brand new furniture and electricals and it also has a range of second hands goods. Just ask as the second hand stuff is not on the shop floor. It's basically in an old storeroom.

Mitre 10 is a D.I.Y. superstore but you can get cheap kitchenware and plastic bins there too.

Justcol Oct 20th 2012 3:45 am

Dont ever buy anything from briscoes unless its on sale because if its not on sale this week
you can guarantee two days after you get it home it will be in their flyer for half what you have just paid.
seriously, I'm not joking

MrsFychan Oct 20th 2012 4:35 am

agree if you have white goods coming and don't want 2 of then Mr Rentals is very good. they also do furniture and lots of other stuff. really wished we had rented some furniture because I sorely missed sitting on a sofa, camping chairs for 8wks or so was not good

Snap Shot Oct 20th 2012 11:13 pm

Mr Rental could rent you a whole house load of furniture for an agreed period of time, right down to computer game consoles ! We rent our washing m/c from Mr. Rental. They are good and an easy company to deal with.

derab Oct 22nd 2012 3:53 am

Have you tried Trade-me ? its the kiwi version of Ebay. I furnished a rental in a weekend by buying on there, Gumtree is another website that you would find flatting type furniture going cheap too.
$30 for a bed and $25 for a sofa easily made them disposable when the quality stuff arrives, just list it yourself when the time comes.