British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   cheap, reliable camper van hire? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cheap-reliable-camper-van-hire-524166/)

nickandlyn Mar 24th 2008 11:26 pm

cheap, reliable camper van hire?

Hello all, we are flying into Aukland on the 27 May for 5wks recce, and looking to hire a camper van to float about in, can anyone suggest a decent company? does anyone have any horror stories of their rentals? just want this to be a good experience as its a make or break for the other half ( make if I have anything to do with it!!) so any suggestions for places to see, towns to go to etc etc would be much appreciated. Job hunting is also on the cards, im in HR,other half is domestic appliance engineer, any ideas on where there are vacancies? never been to NZ before, so its all new, but am really looking forward to it, make it easier for us and give us a few tips on do's and dont's please, cheers

Genesis Mar 25th 2008 3:18 am

Re: cheap, reliable camper van hire?

Originally Posted by nickandlyn (Post 6106311)
Hello all, we are flying into Aukland on the 27 May for 5wks recce, and looking to hire a camper van to float about in, can anyone suggest a decent company? does anyone have any horror stories of their rentals? just want this to be a good experience as its a make or break for the other half ( make if I have anything to do with it!!) so any suggestions for places to see, towns to go to etc etc would be much appreciated. Job hunting is also on the cards, im in HR,other half is domestic appliance engineer, any ideas on where there are vacancies? never been to NZ before, so its all new, but am really looking forward to it, make it easier for us and give us a few tips on do's and dont's please, cheers

Hi, I have a friend who rents his big camper van, very competitive rates, he will deliver and pick it up when finished I believe. PM me and I will get you guys in touch with each other.

hazeandsteve Mar 25th 2008 4:50 am

And get one that's bigger than you need, ie a 4 berth for two of you. Preferably the camping unit "mounted on a merc/VW van chassis" type rather than a converted transit.
The extra space makes for a far more relaxed trip. Experience counts, eh?

Bo-Jangles Mar 25th 2008 7:56 am

...and some form of heating, waterproof clothing and thermals would not go a miss. :ohmy:

Sites like http://www.cheapmotorhomes.co.nz/ are good as you can compare prices. A 4 berth will be $75 to $80 per night for the van and site fees for two adults will be around $30 per night

However, must you really do the campervan thing at the start of our winter? Brrrrr! I personally would recommend you hire car and stay in motels at that time, because it will be cold in the night and early mornings and most likely wet and windy on a good number of days. I'd truly not fancy being you, traipsing to the amenity blocks in the mornings and evenings. Per night costs are very similar when you account for the cost of the van, fuel and campsite fees and you'll have a few more creature comforts.

Remembering of course that it will be dark just after 5pm, just about the time you'll be turning up to park your van and attempting to cook dinner. Most people also get cabin fever after two weeks of re-arranging and falling over bags in the back of a van - five weeks and the novelty will wear very, very thin.

I guarantee, unless you are determined and experienced at this, it will not be much fun!

Bo-Jangles Mar 25th 2008 8:12 am

I just read your post again:

Originally Posted by nickandlyn (Post 6106311)
Hello all, we are flying into Aukland on the 27 May for 5wks recce, and looking to hire a camper van to float about in, can anyone suggest a decent company? does anyone have any horror stories of their rentals? just want this to be a good experience as its a make or break for the other half ( make if I have anything to do with it!!)

......and given you are trying to woo the other half into loving NZ I would seriously reconsider your plans to take a campervan.

Take a look at some of the weather stats for that time of year, overnight lows for Auckland will be 45-50 celsius or 10 - 12 Farenheit, whilst not exactly freezing, it's too cold to be sleeping in a tin can for five weeks and the further south you go, the colder it will get.

nickandlyn Mar 25th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6106924)
Hi, I have a friend who rents his big camper van, very competitive rates, he will deliver and pick it up when finished I believe. PM me and I will get you guys in touch with each other.

thanks for the reply, would like more info on the van if possible, how big, is there loo nd shower etc, cheers for the info

nickandlyn Mar 25th 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 6107546)
I just read your post again:

......and given you are trying to woo the other half into loving NZ I would seriously reconsider your plans to take a campervan.

Take a look at some of the weather stats for that time of year, overnight lows for Auckland will be 45-50 celsius or 10 - 12 Farenheit, whilst not exactly freezing, it's too cold to be sleeping in a tin can for five weeks and the further south you go, the colder it will get.

cheers for the info, we are thinking of camper as we will have lots of stuff to cart around due to time there, and it will give us more chance to chill(!!!) out and drink t ( we are brits after all )the idea wasnt to go in winter but its just worked out that way, and we may as well see what its like at the worst time of year. but have taken on board what you've said and am now sorting out more woolies nd thermals, sounds just like the UK!!! any further tips would be appreciated, cheers

s3r3 Mar 26th 2008 1:55 am

We used affordable motor homes picked it up in Auckland & dropped it off in Christchurch - very reasonable & I would recommend one with a loo!!! Have fun

Genesis Mar 26th 2008 5:37 am

Originally Posted by nickandlyn (Post 6111089)
thanks for the reply, would like more info on the van if possible, how big, is there loo nd shower etc, cheers for the info

Don't know anything about the van, if you are interested best PM me and I will give you his e mail. All I know is its big, well appointed and it cost him quite a lot!

NZGrl Mar 31st 2008 9:23 pm

Hey sorry to but in but are you still on the look out for Beauty Therapy work?

nickandlyn Mar 31st 2008 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by NZGrl (Post 6139065)
Hey sorry to but in but are you still on the look out for Beauty Therapy work?

hi yes that is still on the cards, am in the process of completing a nail tech course, as it was only manicures when I trained. Did you manage to get a good supplier? are you settled now? its been a while since we mailed hows it goin?

NZGrl Mar 31st 2008 11:47 pm

I will be looking for a Beauty Therapist later on in the year...about September time as I will have a girl leaving to have a baby...

karron Apr 1st 2008 7:41 pm

if you're not shy try escaperentals.co.nz.for a rather fetching camper.:)