Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Help again !

Are there any numbers etc for being able to make cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ. Or a prefix to use before a telephone number to make the call cheaper. This would be from a landline.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Try this Bev never used it myself but looks fairly reasonable, hopefully someone else will have a known product but this may help in the meantime
http://www.ratebuster.co.uk/pages/ch...land.asp#rates
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My family use this site: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...er/new_zealand

you need to check it regularly as sometimes there are better deals but at the moment, the best deal is 0.5p per minute.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cappuccino
My family use this site: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...er/new_zealand

you need to check it regularly as sometimes there are better deals but at the moment, the best deal is 0.5p per minute.
We used to use Phonecheap, dial

(0844 861 3838) see below!! then 00 64 and then the number to dial omitting the area code's 0. This was some time ago now mind you so it may not be this number any longer!

Ooops, from their website

new zealand (landline) 0844 200 98 98 = 0.5p per minute

http://www.phonecheap.co.uk/index2.php

Last edited by Am Loolah; Dec 29th 2008 at 12:41 am. Reason: New number.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Help again !

Are there any numbers etc for being able to make cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ. Or a prefix to use before a telephone number to make the call cheaper. This would be from a landline.

I am on talktalk in the UK. I pay 20 pounds 50p per month and this covers my landline, broadband & free calls including NZ. I have to prefix it with 18418.
The only calls I pay for are mobile numbers and 0845 or 0870 numbers. You can get round this as well. You can go on this website
"www.SAYNOTO0870.COM and you can find the alternative landline number. I use this a lot at home I do not see why have have to pay to ring the gas board etc.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I am on talktalk in the UK. I pay 20 pounds 50p per month and this covers my landline, broadband & free calls including NZ. I have to prefix it with 18418.
The only calls I pay for are mobile numbers and 0845 or 0870 numbers. You can get round this as well. You can go on this website
"www.SAYNOTO0870.COM and you can find the alternative landline number. I use this a lot at home I do not see why have have to pay to ring the gas board etc.
Hi there how does this work? I am in NZ but my mum has horrendous phone bills and non of them are for international calls in fact most of the time she is just ringing her mum in the village they both live in. My mum is currently with BT any help appreciated as id just love for her to be able to get these bills down and to be able to ring me occasionally when she feels the need.
Cheers
Cally
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there how does this work? I am in NZ but my mum has horrendous phone bills and non of them are for international calls in fact most of the time she is just ringing her mum in the village they both live in. My mum is currently with BT any help appreciated as id just love for her to be able to get these bills down and to be able to ring me occasionally when she feels the need.
Cheers
Cally

Tell your Mum to call into one of the Carphone Warehouse shops and ask them what plan she would be better on. I no longer pay BT anything everything is done via talktalk and they are Carphone Warehouse.

I am on talktalkinternational and that includes my broadband. Does you Mum have a computer?

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Als have you looked at

http://www.dialwise.co.uk/index2.php
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:58 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

We use Sky, and get TV, Internet and all calls to most 'First World' countries for free. I think the cost is about £25 a month and the broadband is excellent.

You could also use Skype with the Skype Out feature...this is a few cents per minute anywhere in the world....and free to on-net loved ones...plus you can share photos, files and even video call each other.

MSN and Vonage offer a similar service.

There are also plenty of 'call by call' numebrs to use. The link already sent is a good one.

Bottom line no-one needs to be be paying more than about 1 pence per minute for calls to New Zealand from the UK, so unless you chat for hours and hours there should be no big bills....

...now calling the UK from New Zealand ....well that's a different matter. At the moment I use Yabba and it costs 10 cents a minute. I picked that up the day I arrived and when the family arrives we will look for a cheaper deal.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cheap phone calls from the UK to NZ ?

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Tell your Mum to call into one of the Carphone Warehouse shops and ask them what plan she would be better on. I no longer pay BT anything everything is done via talktalk and they are Carphone Warehouse.

I am on talktalkinternational and that includes my broadband. Does you Mum have a computer?

Hope this helps.
Nope they dont have a computer but i have been trying to get them to have one....
Thanks for your help Margaret and sorry for jumping in on your thread Bev
Cheers
Cally
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:47 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

phonecheap.co.uk 0.5p 0844 2009898
bestminutes 1p per minute access code 0844 8616262
dialaround 1p 0844 8612929
telesavers 1p 0844 8612525

There is no need for an account with these providers; they can be accessed instantly. To do this, dial the special access number listed. This connects you to the provider's system and you are charged the rate listed for making the call (which is for calls from UK landlines, it may be more from mobiles). Once connected, you simply dial the number you want to call at no further charge. .

One important note though. As the call charge starts the moment you're connected to the access number you're paying immediately, so if the person you're calling is engaged or out, you're paying anyway. Call prices may vary from non-BT landlines

Just some info from the internet these providers from the UK charge 0.5p or 1p per minute.

Last edited by SLH; Dec 30th 2008 at 1:51 am.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Sam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant futureSam-n-Tania has a brilliant future

Hi Bevs
BT does some pretty cheap deals for unlimited international calls some of our rellies back in NI have got a deal , I think it is £5 a month for unlimited anytime international calls you could try them.( Cheaper than $45 a month here with Telecom anyway!!!)
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:59 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sam-n-Tania
Hi Bevs
BT does some pretty cheap deals for unlimited international calls some of our rellies back in NI have got a deal , I think it is £5 a month for unlimited anytime international calls you could try them.( Cheaper than $45 a month here with Telecom anyway!!!)
You can use skype for about 5-6 quid a month to phone the UK (or around 40 other countries, inc. toll calls in NZ) but it requires being able to use a computer to set it up (and then you can forget the computer). You can also set up a UK number which gets transfered to NZ at no extra cost to the caller (or you). If you managed to register for the forum, you should be able to set it up....

HTH

A
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Ulster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AKT
You can use skype for about 5-6 quid a month to phone the UK (or around 40 other countries, inc. toll calls in NZ) but it requires being able to use a computer to set it up (and then you can forget the computer). You can also set up a UK number which gets transfered to NZ at no extra cost to the caller (or you). If you managed to register for the forum, you should be able to set it up....

HTH

A
I use Skype.

£6.99 a month

10,000 minutes to any UK landline, USA mobiles etc...