Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cheap holidays and travel away from NZ.

Cheap holidays and travel away from NZ.

Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:44 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yes its official

Actually, on that note, keep an eye of Pacific Blue's "Happy Hour" fares between 12pm and 1pm each weekday.

Remember, it is often much cheaper to get a package deal to a place like the Cook Islands rather than book separately. Eg Virgin Blue has a $500 4 or 5 day special to Rarotonga from Auckland.

Ditto with the Gold Coast. Personally I think the Gold Coast has a tendency to be pretty hideous. But it can also be a lot of fun. And good if you get away from the highways and highrises.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
What I do know is that the best value holiday in the South Pacific is Tonga. If you go in the Winter , you can whale watch.
I can vouch for that! We went last year and all up, including spending money, it cost us about $1800 in total. And since $600 of that was for flights which were paid months in advance it really seemed like a very very cheap holiday. You do get what you pay for though But... it was wonderfully relaxing.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today Love30stm - trouble shared and all that
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:45 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
thanks I am , and the holiday to tonga, was that for two of you, dont forget I have two girls one 12 and one 15, so it would cost us a lot more
Keep an eye out for deals - our Dollar was $1.30 to the Tongan currency at the time so it worked out well that way too. Their high season is July to November (when the whales are there - although they were arriving just as we were leaving and that was the middle of July). The return flights were something like $290 each - ridiculously cheap when you consider what it costs to fly domestically here - and we went to an Island called Eua where it was really, really basic but it cost $30 a night per room!!!!! The only problem was that there isn't really a lot to do - you have to make your own entertainment and with teenagers......
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:26 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
thanks I am , and the holiday to tonga, was that for two of you, dont forget I have two girls one 12 and one 15, so it would cost us a lot more

Actually that's just reminded me. Grab a few brochures - often the larger resorts in Fiji used to offer cheap/free accommodation to children right up until 17 or 18 years of age. It sometimes meant that it was a one bedroom place and the parents got the bedroom while the children got the living area. But it's one suggestion.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Cheap holidays and travel away from NZ.

On the back of Love30stm recent thread, I thought it might be good to pool our ideas about how to afford off-shore holidays , trips or weekend breaks away from NZ.

I'll copy a couple of the posts over to save folk repeating themselves.

When I had half a thought we might be able to afford a week away next NZ winter , I spent a bit of time trying to find the most cost effective place for us to go from Nelson. I wanted it to include a price for the internal from Nelson to Xch/Auckland or Welly and then onto somewhere outside of NZ. Living a 5 hour drive from an international airport stuff one up a bit. You either have to bit the bullet and do the drive before flying out or spend $$ on an internal flight. The problem we seem to have with the special offers and deals is that they all go from Auck or Xch so this means adding the internal flight cost to the price.

When I was looking, I found the cheapest place to get to seemed to be Tonga. There seemed to be a number of budget places to stay and if you went in the NZ winter then yu got to possibly see the whales.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 10th 2008 at 12:02 am.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:29 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Default Re: Cheap holidays and travel away from NZ.

Hehe I wondered how I managed to start that thread!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:22 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by BEVS here
On the back of Love30stm recent thread, I thought it might be good to pool our ideas about how to afford off-shore holidays , trips or weekend breaks away from NZ.

I'll copy a couple of the posts over to save folk repeating themselves.

When I had half a thought we might be able to afford a week away next NZ winter , I spent a bit of time trying to find the most cost effective place for us to go from Nelson. I wanted it to include a price for the internal from Nelson to Xch/Auckland or Welly and then onto somewhere outside of NZ. Living a 5 hour drive from an international airport stuff one up a bit. You either have to bit the bullet and do the drive before flying out or spend $$ on an internal flight. The problem we seem to have with the special offers and deals is that they all go from Auck or Xch so this means adding the internal flight cost to the price.

When I was looking, I found the cheapest place to get to seemed to be Tonga. There seemed to be a number of budget places to stay and if you went in the NZ winter then yu got to possibly see the whales.

This is where we went http://www.kalianet.to/hideawayeua/index.html

To get there you take the shortest commercial flight in the World - a whole 7 minutes There was an article in the Herald about it a while back and they called it 'the land that time forgot'. If you're into 'michellin stars' this isn't a place to go but if you just want to kick back and meet some really cool people it's brilliant!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread, keep them coming.