British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cheap flights to UK... who is best? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cheap-flights-uk-who-best-655420/)

Gill and Rob Feb 18th 2010 4:43 am

Cheap flights to UK... who is best?

Quick question... who is the cheapest and best airline to use to fly back to the UK and then return to Auckland?

Any advice or help appreciated?
Gill and Rob

aalls73 Feb 18th 2010 6:43 am

Re: Cheap flights to UK... who is best?

We booked through the flight centre going with emirates and paid $8000 for 2 adults and 2 children, just register your details with them ive found that they go out of their way to beat any price you might get elsewhere.... good luck x:thumbup:

hjmilligan Feb 18th 2010 6:58 am

Hi,
We flew with Air NZ last year,they were great,it all depends how direct you want your flight to be. Air NZ flew us Auckland to Hong Kong with a 2 hour stopover at HK. You can get cheaper flights if you dont mind a longer stopover eg:sister had 6 hours at HK!

Helen

jennifer45 Feb 18th 2010 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob (Post 8353200)
Quick question... who is the cheapest and best airline to use to fly back to the UK and then return to Auckland?

Any advice or help appreciated?
Gill and Rob

Depends whether you wan't to avoid Hell on Earth! acca Heathrow.

Even if I lived 'South of Watford" I would rather fly into Manchester.[Good AP- and one good football team;)]
Singapore- excellent service - excellent Airport Changi+ hotel for pay by the hour rooms, if you want a cheap quick transfer! Can fly from Auckland same plane onto Singapore- refuelling Sydney. Diff flight if Melbourne I think. Still have to get off in Oz and go through security- though god knows what you could have done or got 35000ft up since passing Auckland security.
Arab Emirates- very good- but the Oz- Dubai leg 16 hrs [++if delayed once boarded] is a killer! Also not very punctual IMExp.
Used to use Malaysian Airways from MAN- but the service has stopped I think.
ANZ was great! Really enjoyed the flight. Just Heathrow that's the bugbear- ruined the whole experience.
I know of someone who flew Frankfurt via Hong Kong and then took a short flight to UK.
Qantas fly Auckland Frankfurt for $2851 Feb- I've flow Q shorthaul and they were very good, easy, relaxed yet good service- [Helped that the flight was half full!] but never longhaul.
So if like me you hate the mind numbing mess of LHR, there are ways of using your preferred airline and avoiding LHR.
My son is going back to UK for a visit and has opted for Singapore into Manchester.

I've just read this back- not a great deal of help really. Sorry.
Good luck anyway.
Jennie

aalls73 Feb 18th 2010 7:21 pm

We are flying into gatwick which worked out around £200 cheaper per person than flying into the nightmare of Heathrow :thumbsup:

Tomsk Feb 19th 2010 5:45 am

We're sending our son back to the UK for a holiday at Easter and we got return flights AKL - LHR with Royal Brunei for $1750. That seemed to be a reasonable deal especially considering that it's coinciding with school holidays etc.

We've never flown with them before so can't make any comments about the flight or service......although I do know that it's a dry airline and they don't supply booze. But they provide soft drinks and mixers etc, and it's OK to buy your own drink at duty free to drink on the flight :thumbup: