Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cheap, cheerful flights back to UK

Cheap, cheerful flights back to UK

Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough
Cool Cheap, cheerful flights back to UK

Ok, for some of you this is done to death..............but I am heading back to the UK for a 4 week visit with my youngest daughter of 5 years.
Where can I get the best prices from in NZ? Travel agent? internet?direct from airlines? trade me?etc
I am looking for a mid June to mid July trip this year, poss with a short stop over to break up the monotomy.
Thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap, cheerful flights back to UK

Originally Posted by 74NZ
Ok, for some of you this is done to death..............but I am heading back to the UK for a 4 week visit with my youngest daughter of 5 years.
Where can I get the best prices from in NZ? Travel agent? internet?direct from airlines? trade me?etc
I am looking for a mid June to mid July trip this year, poss with a short stop over to break up the monotomy.
Thanks in anticipation
Flight Center offer to beat any prices you get that are available.
Try www.zuji.co.nz

Then see what flight Centre can match.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:55 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I can't help you out at all, but was wondering if you'd like a Napier meetup in mid-April? Let's keep in PM contact about that... if that's OK?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:57 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation
If it's cheap you want, Korean Airlines are in the running - not a great baggage allowance for actual emigration but as you are intending visiting, that's not a problem. We found their service was OK: courteous, good with kids - if you like Asian food it is a bonus!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:04 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

I would go online to check out any cheap flights, try having a look at airlines seperately rather than go through travel companies, I have my family coming over to visit in the near future and they got bunged by a bogus fraudulent company, luckily they were insured by their credit card company otherwise they would have lost thousands. Just be careful!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough

Thanks so much for all your replies. I have found them all helpful.
We were able to get a great deal coming over because we only needed a one-way ticket!!
By the time I go home for the visit we will have been here for nearly four years, so a family hug will be amazing!
My hasband and other four kids wont be able to come on this visit too many $$$$. But am hoping for the allusive lotto win

Thanks heaps guys
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
I would go online to check out any cheap flights, try having a look at airlines seperately rather than go through travel companies, I have my family coming over to visit in the near future and they got bunged by a bogus fraudulent company, luckily they were insured by their credit card company otherwise they would have lost thousands. Just be careful!
:scared: Heck! thanks for that.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm afraid I can't help you out at all, but was wondering if you'd like a Napier meetup in mid-April? Let's keep in PM contact about that... if that's OK?
Yup, sounds cool.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Steve Horrell will become famous soon enough

Thanks in anticipation
I am heading to UK in June also to see family for the first time in 4 years! My daughter works with House of Travel and gets to see just about every deal going. Found one flight for $2099 but taxes were $600; went via Sydney, Seoul, Frankfurt and then into London - a total of nearly 42 hours travelling!! Air NZ via LA was $2599 with $200 taxes. Went for the LA route as the luggage allowance is 32kg as opposed to 20kg via Asia and only one stop en-route. Shop around for insurance - it is a very competitive market or, check what insurance cover is automatic if you book with a credit card.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Cheap, cheerful flights back to UK

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
I am heading to UK in June also to see family for the first time in 4 years! My daughter works with House of Travel and gets to see just about every deal going. Found one flight for $2099 but taxes were $600; went via Sydney, Seoul, Frankfurt and then into London - a total of nearly 42 hours travelling!! Air NZ via LA was $2599 with $200 taxes. Went for the LA route as the luggage allowance is 32kg as opposed to 20kg via Asia and only one stop en-route. Shop around for insurance - it is a very competitive market or, check what insurance cover is automatic if you book with a credit card.
Ok, I'm probably coming over as naive here, but I had an idea about just getting cover for the journey there and back! I figured I wouldn't need it in the UK being a pom an all. Thought I'd stay with my sister if I broke a leg!

Can you elaborate more on your reasons for the insurance. Thanks Steve
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Steve Horrell will become famous soon enough

Ok, I'm probably coming over as naive here, but I had an idea about just getting cover for the journey there and back! I figured I wouldn't need it in the UK being a pom an all. Thought I'd stay with my sister if I broke a leg!

Can you elaborate more on your reasons for the insurance. Thanks Steve
Given that travel insurance covers you for medical expenses overseas anyway it doesn't really matter I suppose. If the unthinkable should happen then at least you are covered. The credit card companies sometimes give you cover to a certain level for travel and other 'in-country' expenses but I dont think it is as comprehensive as the policy you would buy through a travel agent. The bottom line is that to cover the journey you will need to take out a policy anyway but consider the options for returning back to NZ with your leg in plaster. You may have got the treatment in UK for nothing but return travel to NZ may require 'special' facilities on the flight and that may well cost a great deal more. The policy should cover you for that. At the end of the day, insurance companies are not going to knock much off from their all inclusive policy and for the sake of a few dollars, it is better to be insured across the board.