Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

CHCH in June - what should I expect? and more!

CHCH in June - what should I expect? and more!

Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice
Default CHCH in June - what should I expect? and more!

We're moving there in June & I really just wanted to know your HONEST thoughts on the place - especially with a very young family:
* how cold will it really be/will it get over winter?
* do houses (as a rule) REALLY have NO HEATING?!
* should I pack my wellies (or whatever you call them!) & big coat or wait til our container arrives?
* what would be an average 3/4bed furnished rental?
* are we doing the right thing??

I know there's nowhere that's 'perfect' - if it existed, we'd all move in & it wouldn't be, well, 'perfect' anymore.

Your answers greatly appreciated - the internet can be a dangerous thing & i'm starting to get scared!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

desert bloom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CHCH in June - what should I expect? and more!

Hello there

welcome to the forum...we r in the same boat as you...we'll be in chch in june too!!

now we r in dubai...we have been looking at rentals but was advised to do a motel or short let for a few days and then look around at the available rentals..we're thinking of making some appointments for the week we're there and take it from there!

have you looked at real estate websites? have seen 3 bed detached for about $380 to $400+...

i have heard its reall cold in june july...and that foot wear selection is much better at home..! i am struggling to find wellies/boots in middle east tho!

We are just the 2 of us...as you said..excited and scared at the same time! especially since i'll be studying as well!!

All the best with your move and everything..there are loads of people willing to help in here!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by newtothis
We're moving there in June & I really just wanted to know your HONEST thoughts on the place - especially with a very young family:
OK
* how cold will it really be/will it get over winter?
It will sometimes get around -5C overnight (usually around 0C or around thereabouts) and up to between 5C to 12C in the afternoon. The southerlies that occasionally blow through do make it a chilly though, but those winds do clear out the odd inversion layer where woodsmoke gives a bit of a tangy taste to the air.
* do houses (as a rule) REALLY have NO HEATING?!
Kiwis heat rooms, not houses. You will need to adjust your way of thinking. Central heating is as rare as hen's teeth. You will likely have a combination of heating options for your digs.
* should I pack my wellies (or whatever you call them!) & big coat or wait til our container arrives?
It wouldn't hurt, although wellies (gumboots) will only be needed if you plan on walking around a paddock.
* what would be an average 3/4bed furnished rental?
If you plan for between NZD$350 to NZD$500 per week you may find something acceptable. Look for north facing accommodation. Furnished rentals will cost you more and are not that common. If you are just dossing down until your container arrives it may be a good idea to just invest a few hundred in airbeds, camp chairs and assorted crockery, cutlery and pots and pans from the Warehouse and secondhand shops.
* are we doing the right thing??
Jeez, that's impossible to answer, isn't it. Up to you, really. It's your life and only you are qualified to answer this.

I know there's nowhere that's 'perfect' - if it existed, we'd all move in & it wouldn't be, well, 'perfect' anymore.
I think that answers your previous question, huh?

Your answers greatly appreciated - the internet can be a dangerous thing & i'm starting to get scared!
BOO!

Nah, really, any questions or concerns, fire away. Welcome to Christchurch. Get through this winter and into a Canterbury summer and you'll be laughin'.

Good luck.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:49 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point

so many in June! - our family of five is also arriving then. We'll all be brauling on the street outside the one heated rental in Chch...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sharks
so many in June! - our family of five is also arriving then. We'll all be brauling on the street outside the one heated rental in Chch...
Wow..a lot of people coming down in june!

did you guys actually find a centrally heated place in chch?? we are still hunting!

all the best...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

No, we don't have a place yet -I was just indulging a little fantasy of mine ; underfloor heated 5 bed house with double glazing, with granny flat, zoned for Chch GHS & Heaton/Elmwood Junior School, close to Merrivale Village, nice garden - cheap of course...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

No, we don't have a place yet -I was just indulging a little fantasy of mine ; underfloor heated 5 bed house with double glazing, with granny flat, zoned for Chch GHS & Heaton/Elmwood Junior School, close to Merrivale Village, nice garden - cheap of course...
I know the feeling....I have mine too....add some more loand to yours and its my day dream too! have seen some amazing places there...waaayyy beyond our reach though!!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Sorry I meant land...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

fear not - it'll be what you make it!
we rented a holiday home for a month on arrival - heating and power were included in cost - great wee place, area bit tired but villa lovely - here's the link to the one we rented - lots of others on this site too - http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/new-ze...ting/1620.html.
we then went to harcourts rental agency, corner bealey ave / papanui road - viewed a few rentals (drive by's & lok ins) then settled on a 3 bed, 2 lounge, up the hill in westmorland, cost us $360/wk, reduced cos it had no whiteware - usually unfurnished still come with dishwasher / washing machine - we managed without dishwasher and bought washing machine cos we'd not put ours in container!
warehouse is always a good place to grab some cheepy bargains and will have gumboots / woolies / coats / blankets etc etc.
weather will be cool - cold at night, but can be really pleasant during day when the sun comes out.

sounds like a june gathering might be in the offing, given so many new arrivals - happy to do a welcome meet and greet - we have 2 children, 4&6 who are quite happy to share toys with those who are waiting on containers!!
pm me if interested - any others in chch wanting to join in, also pm.
Cheers
Vicki

Last edited by Joshlin; Apr 19th 2008 at 9:23 am. Reason: added link
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

short lets seem to cost around $100/night..is this the average? weekly might be cheaper i'm thinking...saw one for $665 for a week...fully furnished one bed apartment in the city...is this too expensive?

cant seem to find much one beds around...
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert bloom
short lets seem to cost around $100/night..is this the average? weekly might be cheaper i'm thinking...saw one for $665 for a week...fully furnished one bed apartment in the city...is this too expensive?

cant seem to find much one beds around...
we negotiated a price for the month and got it down to about $450 per week, which included power, local calls, bedding, towels and weekly clean. the people that owned the link I gave have other properties too, so are likely to be of a similar quality - might be smaller, worth a check

quick search, on holiday homes gave these as 1 beds http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/search
Vicki

Last edited by Joshlin; Apr 19th 2008 at 9:35 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice

We're quite lucky in that hubby's new employers are sorting us out with furnished rental of some description for first month - then we're on our own!

A few kiwi friends say to put off buying until Sept/Oct at least, if poss, as house prices are about to come right down. Is that just wishful thinking? Would love to have even more for our money!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joshlin
fear not - it'll be what you make it!
we rented a holiday home for a month on arrival - heating and power were included in cost - great wee place, area bit tired but villa lovely - here's the link to the one we rented - lots of others on this site too - http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/new-ze...ting/1620.html.
we then went to harcourts rental agency, corner bealey ave / papanui road - viewed a few rentals (drive by's & lok ins) then settled on a 3 bed, 2 lounge, up the hill in westmorland, cost us $360/wk, reduced cos it had no whiteware - usually unfurnished still come with dishwasher / washing machine - we managed without dishwasher and bought washing machine cos we'd not put ours in container!
warehouse is always a good place to grab some cheepy bargains and will have gumboots / woolies / coats / blankets etc etc.
weather will be cool - cold at night, but can be really pleasant during day when the sun comes out.

sounds like a june gathering might be in the offing, given so many new arrivals - happy to do a welcome meet and greet - we have 2 children, 4&6 who are quite happy to share toys with those who are waiting on containers!!
pm me if interested - any others in chch wanting to join in, also pm.
Cheers
Vicki
Any invites accepted with pleasure and gratitude . I'll be a singleton until August though, as the family will be in Portugal whilst I try to set up in Chch.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Recodiver is an unknown quantity at this point

Any invites accepted with pleasure and gratitude . I'll be a singleton until August though, as the family will be in Portugal whilst I try to set up in Chch.
We too should be arriving in June. I am being provided with rented digs by my employer unfurnished, does anyone have website addresses of furniture rental companies. Cant wait to leave Uk, cannot believe we came from UAE back here bad call.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Recodiver
We too should be arriving in June. I am being provided with rented digs by my employer unfurnished, does anyone have website addresses of furniture rental companies. Cant wait to leave Uk, cannot believe we came from UAE back here bad call.
hello reco....

we are in abudhabi at the moment! will be in chch in june as well! am sure a meet up would be good!

all the best with your move...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.