British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   ChCh earthquake - hope everyone is ok (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/chch-earthquake-hope-everyone-ok-872420/)

MrsFychan Feb 13th 2016 11:18 pm

ChCh earthquake - hope everyone is ok

http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/regi...nd/2016p118944

5.9, 10km deep marked as severe

MrsFychan Feb 13th 2016 11:22 pm

Re: ChCh earthquake - hope everyone is ok

looking at the felt reports none seem to be severe on a personally level, light and moderate seem to be what people are reporting. Hopefully no structural damage either.

paddy234 Feb 14th 2016 1:32 am

Some minor damage and cliff erosion so hope there is no injuries. Biggest one i felt here, thought the roof was gonna come down on top of us. Scary Feeling

Pom_Chch Feb 14th 2016 2:02 am

That was certainly one to get the adrenaline going! Drop cover and hold out in North Canterbury, then business as usual with a trip to Mitre 10. Hope that's mother nature done for a long time. As far as I'm aware there's been no physical damage to buildings or people, but lots of shaken nerves and re-lived memories 😞

LauraNotts Feb 14th 2016 3:50 am

That was NOT light. Had a number of things crashing off the shelves at my places. Was quite scared by that when it didnt stop and just got bigger. No damage we can see. Cliff collapses and liquifaction out east. Not good around the anniversary.

MrsFychan Feb 14th 2016 4:04 am

some video footage for anyone who has not been in/viewed an earthquake before.

Videos capture the moment 5.7 earthquake strikes Christchurch | Stuff.co.nz
(a number of video's to view in the article)

damage to the old Cathedral again in ChCh CBD, which is a shame.

Charismatic Feb 14th 2016 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11866905)
...then business as usual with a trip to Mitre 10.

It's no good looking for moderate solutions, just screw the picture frames directly to the studs and superglue down anything that could move :p.

Good to see a few of your survived. This earthquake business really is getting out of hand. At this rate you'll have to send the insurance people personal Christmas cards soon.

BEVS Feb 14th 2016 4:42 am

We had a 5.8 last Tuesday. Rattled and shook the building I was in followed by a 4. aftershock the next day. Difference being they were at depth of 50km not 15km.

This is a serious quake for Christchurch unfortunately with liquefaction and damage. Thank goodness no injuries and loss of lives.

You don't want any more of that, thank you very much.

Justcol Feb 14th 2016 5:30 am

Saw it on the news, I'd be panicking if I lived on top of those cliffs

Linked it to the last big one, said it was an aftershock, not a new event

Hazelnut Feb 14th 2016 7:07 am

We saw the alert come through on the quake app MrH monitors and sent up a quick chant that everyone was Ok. The link to the videos from Bev brings it home well. Glad to read all are safe and that it's considered an aftershock rather than a build up to another new big one. I remember again why people said not to buy or build near the cliffs!

MrsFychan Feb 14th 2016 7:15 am

the 5.9 was a severe quake - not an aftershock the 4+ going down to 2+ have been going on ever since and still going according to geonet, they are the aftershocks

Pollyana Feb 14th 2016 7:22 am

Hope none of you are too shaken up, just doing reports at work on the quake :eek:

Tom H Feb 14th 2016 8:06 am

Just another day. The kids and I had fun outside when it happened. Just a little meh and continued. You get used to them after 10,000 odd rumbles.

Although I was time wary as I remember 2011! Big 5.7 at 2 and then 6.1 at 3. Had to check the following 90 minutes after today's one. Thankfully no larger one hit. Not that they bother me too much but may have scared the kids if things fell and smashed everywhere.

No damage here but feel sorry for those that have to contact EQC after todays events.You have my sympathy in dealing with that lot

BEVS Feb 14th 2016 8:15 am

My post was about our quake on Tuesday up here in the Nelson area . Not today & we are not in Christchurch. That was a good shake and a bang as it was.

Christchurch felt an aftershock this evening. It would have been shallow so classified as stonrg . This is what happens. There may be several but may well be un-noticable.

People are already sorting themselves out and moving on.

I haven't made any links to anything. :confused:

LauraNotts. Tough afternoon and I hope you are on an even keel.
I remember another nurse in the self same hospital in 2011. Not nice at all and she reported the same thoughts.

You are made of good stuff IMO.

Justcol. There is nothing on the top of the Sumner Cliffs. It is already all red zoned.

LauraNotts Feb 14th 2016 8:20 am

I'm okay. It hit 45 mins before I had to go to work. Was actually good to be around colleagues and have a professional role to play. We felt the 4.2 but no other aftershocks. I am glad there is no where near the damage we might have expected and the people are pulling together.