ChCh districts

Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

alanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nice
Smile ChCh districts

Hi everyone,
My family and I are flying out at the end of next month to start a new life in Christchurch. I am sure many of you have found yourselves in the same position we are now in. We don't as yet have anywhere lined up to live, and we are planning on spending a couple of weeks in a hotel whilst we sort out a rental.
We realise that every city has better areas and less desirable areas. Could anyone suggest the areas we should look at, and the areas we might want to avoid. We would likr to be as close to the coast as possible, but to be honest we could cross that bridge when we come to buy our own place.
Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you when we get there.
All the best,
Alan, Jay and Kimberley.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:36 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: ChCh districts

Howzit:

There really is no 'no-go' area in Christchurch. Of course there are some suburbs that are more 'desirable' than others.
Merivale and Fendalton are the traditionable 'old money' suburbs. The advantage is that they are quite close in the the centre city. The Port Hills have many spectacular homes with great views. Sumner Beach seems to be popular with British immigrants. Redcliffs has some flash homes. The western suburb Avonhead has many solid middle class homes. The northwest suburbs are popular for parents with secondary school students because of Burnside High School. To the southwest of town Rolleston has many new houses being built that look pretty nice.
Probably areas that you wouldn't be interested in are Linwood, Aranui or Bexley (eastern suburbs) or Hornby in the southwest which is a tad industrial. Having said that, there are some nice homes in these areas.
Really, Christchurch is not that big and you'll get a feel for the areas quite quickly. I've mentioned just a few places. There are many more for you to explore. If you don't mind a wee bit of a commute there are lots of nice rural towns with nice homes quite close in.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Christchurch.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:53 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid Woolston, Sydenham, Beckenham as well and the main streets out of the CBD, worcester,hereford, gloucester, cashel, that run from the city to linwood ave and beyond. I personally wouldn't live anywhere east of the CBD, but that's just me.

cashmere is nice , but like sumner, and merivale, fendalton, isn't cheap. St albans (next to merivale) is not bad. Also riccarton is okay, with good shopping precinct. Infact most of christchurch is alright, just some of east and south sides tend to house those on lower incomes and gov benefits. And where poverty is, so to are drugs and criminal activity.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Avoid Woolston, Sydenham, Beckenham as well and the main streets out of the CBD, worcester,hereford, gloucester, cashel, that run from the city to linwood ave and beyond. I personally wouldn't live anywhere east of the CBD, but that's just me.

cashmere is nice , but like sumner, and merivale, fendalton, isn't cheap. St albans (next to merivale) is not bad. Also riccarton is okay, with good shopping precinct. Infact most of christchurch is alright, just some of east and south sides tend to house those on lower incomes and gov benefits. And where poverty is, so to are drugs and criminal activity.
errrm, Beckenham? avoid? I don't think so.

That is the trouble with this, it is so objective.

Question A when are you planning to buy a car?

Hotel strip is to the north-west of the city centre, in Papanui rd, in merivale. Or to the west of the city centre in Riccarton. This is central, buses everywhere, close to the things that you need when first arriving.

Or if you want the beach you will prob want a car too. Beach suburbs - Sumner (a wee way out of the central city nice to live in but you will find your selves in the car a bit), redcliffs, St Andrews Hill.

Have you found www.trademe.co.nz? This has a big section on properties and rentals, and will help with rental prices. if you click on the top button called "smaps" this is a really good mapping site, that shows you where things are in relation to each other, and how the suburbs work.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:36 am
Just Joined

alanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nicealanbos66 is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies.
We will hire a car for the first week and hopefully but one during that time. I have already found out about Trademe.co.nz, and we have have looking at it for the last month or two.......or six! We don't mind using the car, i drive 160 miles a day to get to work at the moment so only having to drive 20 minutes or so would be a pleasant change.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alanbos66
Thanks for all your replies.
We will hire a car for the first week and hopefully but one during that time. I have already found out about Trademe.co.nz, and we have have looking at it for the last month or two.......or six! We don't mind using the car, i drive 160 miles a day to get to work at the moment so only having to drive 20 minutes or so would be a pleasant change.
Ok, for us to help you some more... I have some more questions =)
Do you have work lined up yet, and if so where? Do you have schooling to consider, and if so, what ages? What time of year are you arriving?

ChCh isn't a huge city, and there are lots of very different places to live, that will suit many different types of people. The hotel/holiday house/motel that you first book is likely to give you an insight as to where you want to rent than buy, so don't worry too much about this in advance, as it won't be until you get here that you really know what suits you and your family.

What are some of the places you have an eye on already?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:24 am
Just Joined

More questions answered....
No i don't have any work lined up yet, i have however had an interview to work at the Christchurch Engine Centre and hope to hear back this week. Touch wood! Kimberley is 12 years old, so we will have to consider schooling, and as regards when we are coming out, in about four weeks and a day...not that we're counting!
Thanks
Alan.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally and historically areas in the SE of British towns/cities have been the most affluent/aspiring, and this goes for the country as a whole. Similarly in NZ the NW of towns/cities are the same, at least as far as I know in Canterbury, so stick to the NW and you should be cool.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple13
errrm, Beckenham? avoid? I don't think so.

That is the trouble with this, it is so objective.
Well maybe beckenham has improved since I was last in chch, but it was not a suburb I'd have felt comfortable recommending simply because of it's location. I wouldn't recommend addington either and yet it has a well patronised raceway.Perhaps the old addington prison or just the 'run down' feel I find not to my liking. Maybe I'm a bit conservative. You are in a position to know what's happening now in chch. Something I'm not.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Well maybe beckenham has improved since I was last in chch, but it was not a suburb I'd have felt comfortable recommending simply because of it's location.
Yip, it is a real problem being located by the Heathcote river - nice for walks, and be so close to the close to the Port Hills for recreation (walking, mountainbiking, running etc). And there are many bus routes, not that you need them being a 30 min walk into the city centre. Oh yes, and the mature trees, less infill housing, and established houses makes Beckenham a terrible place. And there are the local shops - the best butcher in ChCh, cafes with excellent coffee.

Yip, living in Beckenham is just dreadful, please everyone stay away!

This is a very sarcy post - I love living on this side of town, it is just great
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Boz you puff!

Give that bloke a ring at the engine bay, failing that let me know and I'll get my mate to get him to ring you
We have left ChCh now and live in Brisbane, drop me your email via pm.

Ta Mate

IGGY

(known as Ian on these forum things)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:46 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never liked Beckenham. Hornby is a bit industrial for me. Cashmere is nice but very pricey, as is sumner, redcliffs, Mt pleasant....these are the kind of suburbs that are very much into "keeping up with the jones'", nice houses if you are looking to spend a million!!!!
Linwood is a stay away area, as is woolston and aranui... We have been here a while now and have encountered alot more crime than we ever did back home...and we live in Sumner!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Just to give another experience - We bought a house in New Brighton ( East ChCh gasp !! ) in February. Have not encountered any crime, a lot less boy racers and noise than our last house in St Martins. Glorious beach just over the road, fab library overlooking said beach, small shopping mall within walking distance, a world class swimming complex 5 min drive away , the locals are friendly and say " Hello " and houses are a lot more affordable than in the areas already mentioned.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westiepom
Just to give another experience - We bought a house in New Brighton ( East ChCh gasp !! ).
For the life of me I could never get my head round why the prices were so cheap there. Looked nice to me, good chipy as well and the best "flying fox" in the area

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:35 am
Just Joined

We have looked at New Brighton and really like the idea of living that close to the beach. Anglesey was good for some things eh Iggy! Good to hear from you fella. I am going to try and get skype before i leave so with a bit of luck i'll be able to talk face to face, not sure if that isa good thing!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.