Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Are you kidding? Good Lord yes.

It's a well known fact. Kiwi men are much more sophisticated and intelligent, generally speaking.
no, go on and quote that on the Oz board..........
there's bound to be a lot of Kiwi-male defending goes on here as many of the ladies have Kiwi partners and some Kiwi-male bashing as there are gonna be some ladies with bad experiences.
May 2cents is that it varies but I'd say that the extreme experiences are worse here, there is more domestic violence (reported and unreported), some men are further into the stone age than they were able to be in UK (as it is less PC, and this is to some extent a reflection of the Kiwi mind-set not just that PC-ism is imposed on us from on high). I've worked with some shocking chauvanists and then again I met a few in the UK (albeit with a wider experience there). There is more of the overt sex-sells here as there is more sex for sale (prostitution is legal here for those who did not know) - hence your kids can be listening to a daytime ad for a "gentelman's club" on radio in the car and have before-watershed (wot's that?) swearing, partial nudity, etc, etc on the TV. I'm with Nerine on the consequences of that situation as this pervasive lack of discipline on behalf of the media can only do harm and reinforce the attitude in some quarters that women are objects for sexual gratification and punch bags to be beaten - the "deal or no deal" thing was quite a public debate and issue was it not?
I hate to say it but this whole thing again comes down to NZ being a basically rural economy/society "growing up" (or however you want to term it - maybe "being filled with ruddy immigrants, etc, etc" *very* quickly and probably a little too quickly for its own good) and it's a similar issue to the racism thing, which I have posted on before.
Personally, I hate PC-gone mad, I'm not much on femininism for its own sake or for helping those with an "agenda" but I think that there are some areas where NZ could benefit from British ideas (again another hobby horse of mine) but the chances of that are pretty slim and the old addage for us ex-Pats still applies - "keep your head down and don't mention how you did it in the 'old country'"........
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Are you kidding? Good Lord yes.

It's a well known fact. Kiwi men are much more sophisticated and intelligent, generally speaking.
Karma your way
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't know one Kiwi woman who can't hold her own with the likes of your car salesman.

About 25 years ago we were selling a car and a gentleman (sic) came to have a look at it four times. He was a fireman and had a dodgy car selling business on the side apparantly.

All he could do was talk shite about the model and kick the car tyres telling my mechanic husband (who worked for the brand dealership) a whole pile of rubbish.

My Brit OH just stood there with a wry grin on his face saying nothing.

One evening after a tough shift nursing I had had enough and joined the negotiations outside.

I told the tyre kicker ever so nicely that for someone who couldn't find one thing right with the car he seemed to be spending a heck of a lot of time looking at it wasting our time and could he please desist from kicking the new tyres.

OH looked gobsmacked, buyer left.

Next day OH rang me to say the Mr Smooth (sic) had rung him at work (to avoid wifey probably) and made a cash offer $3000 under the asking price and OH had said OK.

Not in your nellie says me. That car is half mine. Anyone else fine but not that dropkick says me, he pays top $.

Guess who happily rang the guy and told him so .... and got the money.

I spent the $3000 on holiday in Aus with three nursing friends and had a great time.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:32 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
no, go on and quote that on the Oz board..........

No thanks. Won't expand further since don't want to add any fuel. Especially since I've had a few mulled wines and lagers!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:32 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Karma your way

Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

No thanks. Won't expand further since don't want to add any fuel. Especially since I've had a few mulled wines and lagers!
they are pretty touchy, remember "the Jedi Princess" had a bit of a pop at Perth and they were all over her like Aussie flies.............maybe that answers our question, re: Oz-vs-NZ males???
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Karma your way
I'll give her some Karma if she goes on there and says it, without having a few glasses of dutch courage first............
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:23 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give her some Karma if she goes on there and says it,
Some idiot's already beaten her to it.....
Old Nov 10th 2007, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Idiot!

Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:53 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

May 2cents is that it varies but I'd say that the extreme experiences are worse here, there is more domestic violence (reported and unreported),
What a complete load of old tosh. Impossible to back that up, its unreported for a reason, and unless you have a webcam in every home in the UK and NZ, you are talking out of your ass.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:54 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

I hate to say it but this whole thing again comes down to NZ being a basically rural economy/society "growing up" (or however you want to term it - maybe "being filled with ruddy immigrants, etc, etc" *very* quickly and probably a little too quickly for its own good) and it's a similar issue to the racism thing, which I have posted on before.
Personally, I hate PC-gone mad, I'm not much on femininism for its own sake or for helping those with an "agenda" but I think that there are some areas where NZ could benefit from British ideas (again another hobby horse of mine) but the chances of that are pretty slim and the old addage for us ex-Pats still applies - "keep your head down and don't mention how you did it in the 'old country'"........
You do realise that the UK is currently staggering under the weight on uncontrolled immigration dont you???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7068291.stm

Last edited by Baron Silas Greenback; Nov 10th 2007 at 8:58 am.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback
What a complete load of old tosh. Impossible to back that up, its unreported for a reason, and unless you have a webcam in every home in the UK and NZ, you are talking out of your ass.
been away too long mate or just not read the news listened to the New Zealand National whilst over in Blighty - these issues are being discussed daily over here........just do a search on these forums
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback
You do realise that the UK is currently staggering under the weight on uncontrolled immigration dont you???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7068291.stm
yes and according to many Kiwis I work with NZ really could do without any more "Asians", "Islanders", "Poms", "Saffas", etc, etc

What I was referring to is the inability (or at least close to it) of those in management of the professions in NZ to take advice on "good practice"
- if you are a professional ex-Pat in NZ you'll know plenty of fellows struggling with the same effect and again if you read these forums people do mention it (usually the nurses or soon-to-be-ex-nurses):
1. Trained in good/best proactice with plenty of experience
2. Arrive in NZ
3. Find NZ practice is as 'home country' was, say erm, 10 years ago
4. Mention this fact and make suggestions
5. Treated like the proverbial brown stuff........for daring to suggest that anyone might consider that NZ practice is at all inferior
6. Realise best thing is to keep mouth shut, knuckle down and kiss the Kiwi ass
7. Post on this forum.
8. Work their citizenship
9. Sod off to Oz
10. ??????

Some of us were told by our ex-Pat colleagues that steps 4-6 are not the way forward before we even got to step 4. Hence, we realised that it is best to say nothing and take the money whilst we embark on steps 6-10.
Good luck in dealing with all the immigrants that have arrived in your country since you left for the UK.......
If you need any evidnce of how bad management can get out here in these areas just take a look at the Capital and Coast DHB fiasco, its getting plenty of reporting and listening to some of the doctors describing how they are being treated then I can fully appreciate their ire.............
Life in this garden is not all rosy you know.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:59 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

If you need any evidnce of how bad management can get out here in these areas just take a look at the Capital and Coast DHB fiasco
Go back 10 years and have a look at the 'winebox scandal' if you want to see how corrupt NZ really can be....

Nobody is biting on the Aus forums, regards NZ intelligence.

No surprise as, for all their many fine qualities, Australians have to be the most self centered bunch of thickos on the planet...

Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:08 am

I do think...if people say that New Zealand is sexist and/or chauvinistic....they should at least let us know what countries NZ should aspire to.

In 2005 New Zealand became the only country in world history to have all the main political offices held simultaneously by females (Queen, Prime Minister, Governor, Chief Justice, Speaker of the House)...if that's a male-dominated country then I'd really like to know what the solution is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.