Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Old Nov 9th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chauvinism in New Zealand Society

Originally Posted by Nerine
Supposing someone took the gollywog image and adapted it to parody an Maori in traditional costume, would that then start to become offensive and cause disquiet? (I 'd find it distasteful)

Anyone remember the furore over the Maori mix cigarettes for the misappropriation of the Maori name?

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/29Maori.jpg

Would the same disgust be felt if young Maori women with facial tattoos, wearing tikis were asked to squeeze into lycra and bounce on rubber balls to sell Primo to nerdy teenagers? I bet it would - the reason being is that sector of NZ society takes a pride in itself. So why don't we afford the same respect to caucasian women in the adverts.

What message is NZ society sending to its children?

but these women have chosen to do this,they are being paid to do it,so i can't see how its exploiting them......

if they were being forced or being paid a pittance then i would see where you were coming from...its all about freedom of choice...

if it was men bouncing about in there y fronts,god forbidthere wouldn't be the same outcry about it......double standards...jacky g
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:15 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
What ???? I was born and raised here till he age of 23 when I moved to the UK. I don't consider myself a chauvinist but do like the odd giggle ("get in the kitchen and cook some eggs"). I know I was brought up with good manners and values.

I am finding it hard to understand your comment. In what way ?? are you suggesting that NZ children are growing up with no principles or standards in life. What are you basing your statements on.
NZ Kids are in danger of growing up to think that a woman's role in society is to gratify a male. Advertisers are using overtly sexual advertising as a way of attacking political correctness because it's the "in thing" to be un-PC right now. People should get wise to it.

NZ is still young and still pure, maybe we do have a problem with boy racers and with drugs (mainly P but that is because it's one hell of a mean drug) but so do other countries. But we don't seem to have the problems like inner London, Manchester or Liverpool.
It may be young but I'd strongly dispute that it is pure. (Isn't that another advertising construct perpetuated by the Tourism Board?) how can it be pure when there is a significant P problem and policitians are threatened when they try to legislate against boy racers?

We don't have the same issue with immigrants coming into this country to bludge of the state unlike England or with the amount of murder that happens in the country (ie the shooting of kids, the axing of people over the colour of there skin). People leave England because it's not what it was and funny enough they see the old England in NZ.
The amount of murder in the country is proportional to the number of people who live in it.

Have you forgotten about the drive by shooting of a toddler on the 5 May 2007 or the aged teacher who was bludgeoned to death and sexually assaulted in her classroom? How many times have you heard of children being battered to death in their own homes?

Be aware that as you apear to be moving to Australia that it also has issues, particullary with Asian immigrants and racism (worse than NZ). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a boy racer problem as well as a drug problem. If your saying that NZ is going down the tubes due to the male chauvinist ways than I have huge worries for you going to Australia.
I find the racism against Asians quite shocking in NZ.. However, I'm sure that these problems DO exist in Australia. Perhaps the difference between the two countries is they acknowledge the problems in Oz and are prepared to talk about and tackle them? My point goes back to the NZ culture of avoidance I mentioned in another thread.

NZ refuses to admit that a problem even exists because that would damage its romantic image of itself as being a "L&P" sepia tinted land of the mid 70s. It can't see that its society is crumbling away around its ears, socially inadequate car salesmen are the least of its worries.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Oh the diet coke man yes, sex certainly sells!

Nothing wrong in that per se, it's just that some of these ads are getting very near the knuckle (Is that the right analogy to use? maybe groin would be more apt?) just because the anti-pc brigade fancy seeing how far they can push things.

I think you just fired a shot through your shoes.......

Its ok if its a man involved then i take it..........?

I'm trying to work out if you actually give a toss about the issue of women in advertising or whether you're just trying to get people to support you in something that so far not many seem to be bothered about, bar you that is.

The link you posted showing Rachael Wynn Barton del Mundo and her 'campaign', which for her amounts to turning off the television and making some of her retail purchases at a different burger joint is amusing but hardly earth shattering stuff.....

I'm sure Ms Wynn Barton del Mundo is very 'connected to the street' and normal people........

Do you honestly believe that semi clad women in advertising is having a bad effect on kids here in NZ?

You're talking complete, overly PC rubbish... but you should know that by now....i guess your response will be that i think this because i must be a chavinist myself if your previous responses are anything to go by.

If you had started talking about violence on tv and in video games affecting the adults of tomorrow than i may i'd agree with you. Take some time and watch kids tv and programmes like shoalin warriors, Ben 10 and the multitude of so called 'cartoons' that are violent in a way they never were when i was kid. Then go to a kids school playground and watch the boys aged 5 upwards kung foo kicking each other and acting out the 'I killed you' scenario's. I remember having the odd fight as kids when someone argued with someone else but the kicking and punching thats shown in young boys now was not present when i was young.

Its behavior thats copied from video games and violent 'childrens' tv...

I have two girls and they will grow up open minded to the world and whatever audio visual entertainment develops to be but if i had boys i'd be far more concerned about violence on tv than i would about a few women bouncing around in bikinis to sell soft drinks.......

As you put it sex sells......and it always will, be it a man with little on or a woman showing her breasts.....you are not going to change it and apart from the USA which has always been rather prude (tv and adverrtising wise) to put it mildly, much of the world in general is getting more riske about such issues.

If you are moving to Australia i think you'll soon be moaning about your perception of men and society there to...........

I guess you'll never be wanting to live somewhere like Italy or France becaise if you think women and the female image is used here you'd be in for a shock when you saw your first shower gel advert in France........

By the way.....reading back in the thread many congratulations to you husband..........he must have a fantastic belt security system keeping those trousers on...........

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 9th 2007 at 5:21 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There is a huge gender gap in terms of earnings for NZ women, despite the so-called Equal Pay Act. Data from Statistics New Zealand earlier this year showed that women earn on average 20 per cent less than men, within five years of finishing tertiary studies. The stats showed that the pay gap exists in every field, and is most significant in the health sector, where men can earn upto 70 per cent more than their female counterparts.

I was looking for a report that came out earlier this week, with the headline something like 'NZ more sexist than Australia', however it seems to have been wiped off the planet. I know I read it somewhere and I absolutely did not dream it, the report showed that Australian companies are far more likely to employ female CEO's and Executives than NZ. NZ was rated very poorly.
Is this the one you're thinking of?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:49 am

Mr Nisey, I was laughing AT the Diet coke advert and agreeing that sex sells.
I actually feel sorry for those poor women if the highlight of their boring day is watching some bloke get his kit off to drink a can of coke. Those women need to get out more .

I won't allow my kids to watch violent video games or TV programmes, sorry never heard of shoalin warriors or Ben 10. However they can't escape a constant barrage of advertising aimed directly at them, telling them that women in NZ were put into NZ for sexual pleasure. Good job my kids don't watch much TV hey .

Next time a girl gets sexually harassed in the school playground she should thank herself lucky that at least she didn't get a kung-foo kick to the head. I always wondered why NZ has such a high teenage pregnancy rate?

I'll pass your congratulations onto my husband. But don't you mean "Fantastic security belt system"? or are you referring to something completely different that you use yourself? (the mind boggles as to what you may be strapping on)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I've found the complete opposite! The blokes at the garage actually talk to me not my OH. Erm, as did the heat pump reps - had several different companies round for quotes and not one of the blokes said 'check with your husband first and get back to us'.

I can only report being treated here as, well, a human being. Not female. Not male. I haven't been passed over in favour of people talking to my OH instead of answering my questions. Apart from one occasion, I have always received good customer service and people, in my humble opinion, really do seem to go that extra mile.

Maybe it isn't a female / male thing. Maybe if you approach people with a smile, treat them as you wish to be treated and spoken to yourself, you might get a difference response.

I'm not saying that there are no chauvanists in NZ. I'm simply stating I have not come across this; not just in the small friendly rural town I live in or in Christchurch.

And I don't think the domestic violence thing is just women and children. I think actually there are just as many men out there suffering at the hands of their wives / significant others.

And yes I did have a Robinson's Golliwog toy as a child. My mum saved up the tokens for us and I loved it. No I did not see it as a representation of a black guy. It was a soft, lovable Golliwog TOY. It did not cloud my view of black people as I grew up; just as my teddy bear didn't lead me to believe that real live bears are cute and cuddly and all love to go on picnics.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:43 am

Glad to hear that your experience has been pleasant one, there are some really great men up here too.

I had a lovely thing happen a few months ago which gives me hope that all is not lost with NZ quite yet, this is not the only incidence of altruism but just a nice one to pick:

My car wouldn't start one afternoon: made a rapid clicking noise when I turned it over. Thinking it was the starter motor I gave it a few solid taps with a spanner, no luck.

Phoned for a taxi to pick me up and take me to get the kids from school. He offered to get them for me and bring them home, but I said thanks but they won't be expecting to see you . So, he collected me from home, took me to school and brought us all home again.

When we got home he offered to take a look at my starter motor for me, thumped it with the spanner again, reckoned it was a drained battery and asked if I wanted a tow to a garage. But, I had a charger in the garage so I took the battery out and bunged it on charge overnight, right as rain in the morning.

This is what I love about NZ - people's willingness to help each other out, the easy friendliness and sense of community, gender didn't come into it and why should it? It's what makes NZ unique in the world.

THAT'S why it's worth making an effort to stop the insidious, creeping denegration of sectors of the community that is on the increase - just for the sake of giving the finger to political correctness. Whether the focus is on women, Asians, Arabs or whatever.

TeamEmbo, you may not have been offended by a golly on a jar of strawberry jam but guess you're not black?

Last edited by Nerine; Nov 9th 2007 at 7:47 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:51 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

Maybe it isn't a female / male thing. Maybe if you approach people with a smile, treat them as you wish to be treated and spoken to yourself, you might get a difference response.
Good point.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:53 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

However they can't escape a constant barrage of advertising aimed directly at them, telling them that women in NZ were put into NZ for sexual pleasure.
Hyperbole alert!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear that your experience has been pleasant one, there are some really great men up here too.

I had a lovely thing happen a few months ago which gives me hope that all is not lost with NZ quite yet, this is not the only incidence of altruism but just a nice one to pick:

My car wouldn't start one afternoon: made a rapid clicking noise when I turned it over. Thinking it was the starter motor I gave it a few solid taps with a spanner, no luck.

Phoned for a taxi to pick me up and take me to get the kids from school. He offered to get them for me and bring them home, but I said thanks but they won't be expecting to see you . So, he collected me from home, took me to school and brought us all home again.

When we got home he offered to take a look at my starter motor for me, thumped it with the spanner again, reckoned it was a drained battery and asked if I wanted a tow to a garage. But, I had a charger in the garage so I took the battery out and bunged it on charge overnight, right as rain in the morning.

This is what I love about NZ - people's willingness to help each other out, the easy friendliness and sense of community, gender didn't come into it and why should it? It's what makes NZ unique in the world.

THAT'S why it's worth making an effort to stop the insidious, creeping denegration of sectors of the community that is on the increase - just for the sake of giving the finger to political correctness. Whether the focus is on women, Asians, Arabs or whatever.

TeamEmbo, you may not have been offended by a golly on a jar of strawberry jam but guess you're not black?

you get white dolls tooi'm not offended by that,and who decided the word golliwog was offensiveit cetainly wasn't when i was growing up,....jacky
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:04 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of murder in the country is proportional to the number of people who live in it.
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! (try living in the US first luvvie!)

Would the taxi driver have done the same if you were male? I assume you asked him, militant feminist that you are. I assume you vebally and probably also physically abused him for being such a bastard towards you.

Last edited by Maz; Nov 9th 2007 at 8:08 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I'll pass your congratulations onto my husband. But don't you mean "Fantastic security belt system"? or are you referring to something completely different that you use yourself? (the mind boggles as to what you may be strapping on)
I was referring to the belt that holds his trousers up and prevents you from wearing them but your mind was obviously on other things..........

Fits you perfectly........ (pun intended)

Amazed you found the time to get married......... and to a 'man'....jeeezz must go against the grain of feminism that runs through you and the 'they're all out to demean females' belief you seem to have.

The line 'you know where the airport is' can be trotted out here so easily but rarely have i read posts that as clearly point out you need to bugger off to OZ as soon as possible. You clearly have issues with NZ that most here just don't see or agree with so go and see if femininity nirvana awaits across the Tazmin.....i'll wager a few quid or even some dollars, you'll be bemoaning the man with a can in hand soon enough......

By the way our surname is not Nisey and while i realise you're attempting to be witty, i'm not actually Mr Nisey.... but if you feel happier using your pet name for me then so be it............maybe it would be ok to call you 'affected person' or something similar?

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 9th 2007 at 9:16 am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:29 am
Banned

The line 'you know where the airport is' can be trotted out here so easily but rarely have i read posts that as clearly point out you need to bugger off to OZ as soon as possible. You clearly have issues with NZ that most here just don't see or agree with so go and see if femininity nirvana awaits across the Tazmin.....i'll wager a few quid or even some dollars, you'll be bemoaning the man with a can in hand soon enough......
I cant wait to read some of Nerines posts in the Australia forum in a years time. Maybe when she has got sick of her third(or more) country and starts slagging it off.. the penny might drop that its not the countries that have the issues......
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Maz
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! (try living in the US first luvvie!)

Would the taxi driver have done the same if you were male? I assume you asked him, militant feminist that you are. I assume you vebally and probably also physically abused him for being such a bastard towards you.
You have some strange customs in the US of A! is that how you normally treat people who help you? (if does help me to understand America's attitude to most of the Middle East, Cuba, etc.)

No, I invited him in for a drink, found out he knows my neighbours and that he'd once towed a truck off our property long before we bought it.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:25 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Nor am I offended by Barbie or Sindy dolls, even though I don't have perfect blemish free skin, baby blonde hair, blue eyes with a twinkle in, or legs up to my arm pits!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.