Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Chatham Islands

The Chatham Islands

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future
Default The Chatham Islands

Has anyone got any information about the Chatham Islands just off NZ.
I will be visiting NZ (Christchurch) in July and really want to go over and have a look at it but I think accommodation might be a problem. If anyone has visited/ knows anything about it I would really love to hear.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:02 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Chatham Islands

Originally Posted by Billie
Has anyone got any information about the Chatham Islands just off NZ.
I will be visiting NZ (Christchurch) in July and really want to go over and have a look at it but I think accommodation might be a problem. If anyone has visited/ knows anything about it I would really love to hear.
Hi Billie
I have never been to The Chathams but know several people who have been there & also know of people who live there. I can help you a little but hopefully others might be able to offer a little more on the subject.
Air services to The Chathams operate out of Christchurch & Wellington. Accomodation on the Island should be booked in advance. There is a Hotel offering accomodation, a self contained motel, A Lodge, called Chatham Lodge (with a website you might like to look up), back packers & of course Home Stays are available. The seas around The Chathams can be quite treacherous so am thinking maybe your choice of wanting to visit there in the middle of winter is a risky one. Suggest you do a search typing in Accomodation in Chatham Islands NZ & it will be of some help to you.
Guess Im in shock someone would be making enquiries about The Chathams but do think it would be a great place to visit at the right time of the year!!

Goodluck
Shepslady
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:12 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a pm to Southerner
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=shepslady]Hi Billie
I have never been to The Chathams but know several people who have been there & also know of people who live there.

Thanks for the reply. What do the people who have been there think of it?? What do the people who live there make of it??
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:16 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Billie]
Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi Billie
I have never been to The Chathams but know several people who have been there & also know of people who live there.

Thanks for the reply. What do the people who have been there think of it?? What do the people who live there make of it??
The ones I know who live there absolutely love it, love the lifestyle etc but also love coming across to the mainland too. Spend all year on The Chathams working, saving hard & then come across to blow their money. Most I know work in the fishing industry or hospitality.
The friends I have who have vacationed there think it was awesome & most have made several return visits but vacationing & living are vast differences. Im assuming your only wanting to visit & not settle??
Old Apr 29th 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: The Chatham Islands

Originally Posted by shepslady
The ones I know who live there absolutely love it, love the lifestyle etc but also love coming across to the mainland too. Spend all year on The Chathams working, saving hard & then come across to blow their money. Most I know work in the fishing industry or hospitality.
The friends I have who have vacationed there think it was awesome & most have made several return visits but vacationing & living are vast differences. Im assuming your only wanting to visit & not settle??
Thanks for that- a bit too far to settle permanently. Having researched the islands they sound great for all ages. Sounds like there's so much to do.
www.ultimatehideaway.co.nz
in the small village of Kaingaroa (NE side of the island) sounds idyllic and offers excellent packages/ tours etc. Like you say July may not be the best time of year to go- but should be wonderful in Spring/ Summer. Looks like I have my first vacation planned on arrival in NZ!!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I believe a new operation has started up in The Chathams to do cage diving with Great White Sharks - if that is your thing.

The locals are the Mori people who were allegedly the original settlers in New Zealand before they were driven out (eaten) by the Maori.

Roger
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: The Chatham Islands

Originally Posted by Roger
I believe a new operation has started up in The Chathams to do cage diving with Great White Sharks - if that is your thing.

The locals are the Mori people who were allegedly the original settlers in New Zealand before they were driven out (eaten) by the Maori.

Roger
That's right- think I'll give that particular activity a miss!!
Probably lots of younger/ active/ bungy jumping types would love it- why don't you go and give that cage a test for me??
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Prefer diving with sharks without the aid of a cage - looses the appeal. That said wouldn't willingly jump into the sea in the vicinity of a seal colony with poor viz. Poor old Whitey would get a surprize when he bites me and rather than a tasty seal he gets a lot of wind from my dive cylinder.

Imagine it will be a bleak place in Winter.
Roger