Charity scam

Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Charity scam

An employee in my company (different office location to me) sent an 'all staff' email in July asking us to sponsor her in having her head shaved for a children's cancer fundraiser. I gladly donated generously to such a worthwhile cause. She raised over $1,500 from us all.

I would consider myself 'street wise' and can usually smell a scam a mile off, however, today we received an email from senior management telling us this was a scam and that the money never went to charity and the police are now involved.

How can people do this, especially when you trust your work colleagues more than the bloke rattling a tin on the street corner?

Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:34 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charity scam

I think however hard up I was I could never do that. But I'd probably have done the same as you and trusted them-why would you not trust a work colleague?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes 3rd party's can send emails to everyone in your contacts list or inbox.
I've just shut down my yahoo mail account that was hacked and was firing out spam emails
to everyone I knew. The emails originated from Russia, they would land in my spam box and
them send itself to every email address it could find in my mail account.
I tried in vain to block them several times but they still got through

It sounds like your case is a different matter though and I cant understand how people can do
something like that, especially using a charity as a smokescreen

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 11th 2012 at 9:37 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

its shocking. when I was in Oz I worked at a law firm. one of the solicitors was selling those little chocolates for charity and had the box on her desk during the day for people to drop in money and take the choc. when she went home she put it away in one of her drawers. Money had been put in a little cash tin.

One morning she came in and someone had gone in and nicked it all. Police were called, everyone denied it but we couldn't understand it - was only about $50.