British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Charge for cleaning the container -outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/charge-cleaning-container-outside-769033/)

thepinkone Aug 21st 2012 5:37 pm

Charge for cleaning the container -outside!

Just got my first quote for moving stuff over, all seemed fine until I got to the last page of the quote which stated that upon arrival my container may need to be cleaned on the outside (bird poo or any soil) which is usually expensive :eek: (no actual cost supplied). However I can pay an extra fee (again no monetary figure supplied) in the event that my container is picked, then the full cost will be met by the removal company - really?!

MrsFychan Aug 21st 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Charge for cleaning the container -outside!

? who was that with? I'd speak to some others and see if they do the same and if not get back to these guys and tell them to stuff it

BEVS Aug 22nd 2012 12:01 am

Never heard of such a thing. It sounds dead dodgy to me.
Containers languish at ports and then spend 6 wks approx on the open seas. Bird poo? :sneaky:
Forget them.

Snap Shot Aug 22nd 2012 2:30 am

What planet are your prospective movers from ? Like Bevs, I have never heard of such a thing. I would not accept this if it was me. The container company need to make sure their container is acceptable outside and in prior to being used by the client. These containers must be appropriate for the client, i.e. they would not supply a container that had not been cleaned since it contained food or chemicals etc. Also as Bevs said it's travelling on the open sea. Seagull do do etc ?

Is this a wind up ? Have we taken the bait ?

Jan n Neil Aug 22nd 2012 3:29 am

I worked at Lyttleton port for a year they do get cleaned sometimes but they have to be fairly manky and anyway the charge would be down to the container owners, tell them to get stuffed

Neil

sirplug Aug 22nd 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by thepinkone (Post 10238832)
Just got my first quote for moving stuff over, all seemed fine until I got to the last page of the quote which stated that upon arrival my container may need to be cleaned on the outside (bird poo or any soil) which is usually expensive :eek: (no actual cost supplied). However I can pay an extra fee (again no monetary figure supplied) in the event that my container is picked, then the full cost will be met by the removal company - really?!

I think I'd look elsewhere!;)

Bo-Jangles Aug 22nd 2012 6:47 am

They are 'avin a larf. :sneaky:

thepinkone Aug 22nd 2012 11:07 am

Gave them a bell this morning, they said its purley optional but they have had incidences where on arrival the container has needed a clean and the cost is a couple of hundred pounds - the cover so you don't get lumbered with this bill is £35. The company has been mentioned on here a few times as being good - PSS. Other than that the quote wasn't bad.

Got Anglo Pacific coming next week

Pushkinias Aug 22nd 2012 2:17 pm

I've also read quite a few bad reviews on PSS as they seem to use a subcontractor to deliver (NZ Van Line or something) which many have said leads to hidden extra charges despite a so called door to door quote. Based on the research I have done I will not be considering them although I know others have found them to be ok.

MrsFychan Aug 22nd 2012 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by thepinkone (Post 10240075)
Gave them a bell this morning, they said its purley optional but they have had incidences where on arrival the container has needed a clean and the cost is a couple of hundred pounds - the cover so you don't get lumbered with this bill is £35. The company has been mentioned on here a few times as being good - PSS. Other than that the quote wasn't bad.

we used PSS and no one ever said that to us. Tell them its their responsibility to provide you with a clean container before they load anything on and as such as its their container its their responsibility to provide a clean container for MAF to inspect

BEVS Aug 22nd 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pushkinias (Post 10240415)
I've also read quite a few bad reviews on PSS as they seem to use a subcontractor to deliver (NZ Van Line or something) which many have said leads to hidden extra charges despite a so called door to door quote. Based on the research I have done I will not be considering them although I know others have found them to be ok.

Quite a few of the shippers use a 3rd party contractor to deliver the container this NZ end.
It would be either White Van Lines or The Moving Company. Both will try and charge a 'service fee' for any possible MAF inspection which is a scummy rip off. This would be in addition to the fees you have already paid your door to door shipper.
On top of that you would also pay any actual MAF charges as you should.

You need to make it clear with any shipper that there will be NO further fees at the NZ end other than MAF clearance on sight of the actual MAF invoice. Not a service fee invoice from the 3rd party contractor.

MOSO Aug 22nd 2012 10:19 pm

We used Pickfords to avoid the 3rd party potential problem. They have an office here in Wellington so it was easier with just one company dealing with everything. The MAF inspection was carried out at their offices near the port so everything was done and dusted by the time our stuff was delivered to us. We also got them to match the insurance quote from Letton Percival. Crown also have offices here too, but I think they tend to be more expensive?

simonsi Aug 23rd 2012 2:55 am

Originally Posted by thepinkone (Post 10240075)

But it isn't your cost in the first place. Your contract is to get the GOODS within the container to Auckland and "landed", if the shipping Co incur unexpected costs along the way that is their cost, not yours, they are asking you to insure their possible bill - if indeed that exists.

Will they ask you to clean the ships hull next if thats a bit manky??? :rofl:

BEVS Aug 23rd 2012 6:57 am

I know. I'm rather loving it TBH Pinkone :p

It's the cartoon image of a solitary swallow landing on your container, mid voyage and you getting a $1 dollar fee for a wee bit of poopsie.

Or an albatross making an emergency landing whilst shitting itself about the prospect and you getting a $50 fee + $200 for claw feet skid marks.

Or a pterodactyl coming down suddenly, bompft, after a rift in the time space continuum caused by an amateur radio ham somewhere out in the Marlborough Sounds and you getting shat on from a great height for $1000.

Tell 'em to bog off.

thepinkone Aug 23rd 2012 8:56 am

MOSO - I've contacted Pickfords, they're getting back to me as my destination is not one they usually do (New Plymouth = other side of the moon)

simmonsi - I know what your saying about the outside of the container being their responsibilty, however this does seem to be a 'how much can we get out of you' exercise. The boy worked out that they only need to charge 10 customers the insurance fee of £35 to be making money if 1:10 containers needs a clean.

BEVS - I am considering smearing delectable tid-bits on the top of the container; gotta get my monies worth