Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Changing the NZ flag?

Changing the NZ flag?

Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing the NZ flag?

Originally Posted by jmh
The way things are going we may be a state of Australia before long. The latest poll by the Herald showed a surprising drop in resistance to the idea.
who did they poll, asians, indians and chinese ??

I doubt you'll find a kiwi who would vote for it
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:05 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
who did they poll, asians, indians and chinese ??

I doubt you'll find a kiwi who would vote for it
Well it was a Herald digipoll so not very scientific. The result surprised me though.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

but you just know whatever gets chosen (if its changed) is going to be either covered in Maori symbols or disowned by them.
The current Maori flag is rubbish but they will claim its the only real NZ flag and will be on TV wailing about all their nonsense again.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently read that the flag we have now is left over from the very early 1900's when we came very close to being a state of stalya.
Luckiy the kiwis went off the idea but we got lumbered with their crappy flag
http://i.imgur.com/SzDN82C.png
Actually that's not true at all. The current NZ flag dates from 1869. the Australian flag is actually the newer one and a copy of NZ's. And to this day the Aussies are still not as progressive as NZ.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My friend suggested this:
Attached Thumbnails Changing the NZ flag?-img_51436127021837.jpeg  
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
My friend suggested this:

Maybe I haven't been here long enough, but I'm apathetic to this subject.

It's a bloody flag. What does it really matter?

On the plus side at least this is a topic up for public debate and not something more sinister and dark.

I love watching TV 3 at 6pm here. I call it the 'Not' News.

I mean the lead story was about Piri Weepu and his stroke, which they expect him to make a full recovery from.

Also being a 30 year old man this story was of interest and I feel for Weepu - who himself thought he was suffering simply from migraines. But given he played 3 games of Super 15 rugby after his stroke and is expected to make a full recovery is it really lead news?

I think it's wonderful that it is!!
Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

How about this.
Attached Thumbnails Changing the NZ flag?-untitled.png12.png  
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck

Maybe I haven't been here long enough, but I'm apathetic to this subject.

It's a bloody flag. What does it really matter?

On the plus side at least this is a topic up for public debate and not something more sinister and dark.

I love watching TV 3 at 6pm here. I call it the 'Not' News.

I mean the lead story was about Piri Weepu and his stroke, which they expect him to make a full recovery from.

Also being a 30 year old man this story was of interest and I feel for Weepu - who himself thought he was suffering simply from migraines. But given he played 3 games of Super 15 rugby after his stroke and is expected to make a full recovery is it really lead news?

I think it's wonderful that it is!!
supposed its on a par with Beckhams broken toe.
Remember when we all had to put our hands on the center page photo of his
foot and send Uri Gellar all our magical energy to heal it....bloody nonsense
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I think you should email this to john key's office, they are great

A friend of my step daughter did this, I think its perfect.

I have recently read that the flag we have now is left over from the very early 1900's when we came very close to being a state of stalya.
Luckiy the kiwis went off the idea but we got lumbered with their crappy flag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...60059453_n.jpg

or very similar but not quite as stylized

http://i.imgur.com/SzDN82C.png
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moonie2011
I think you should email this to john key's office, they are great
By way of an update, the designer of the first one (more modern one) has had a request from John Key's office
to keep his design on file for future reference
Attached Thumbnails Changing the NZ flag?-1619348_10202746075034166_1460059453_n.jpg