Changing jobs

Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:42 am
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future
Default Changing jobs

Hi all, first time I've posted since landing in NZ.
I arrived at the end of March and came to the Wellington area as I had a British friend already here. Unfortunately, due to poor wages he has had to return to Uk after 7 months living here as he could not afford to pay his way here with his family of 3 kids. I dropped him off at the airport yesterday.

Anyway, I am working but unhappy with my current job and have a job interview in a week for another job. I have been told that I can't legally change jobs until I have my residency, as my visa (work to residency) in my passport has my current employer printed on it. Does anyone know whether it is possible to change jobs? If so, would I have to contact immigration NZ and inform them?

I am living in Paraparaumu on the Kapiti coast North of Wellington. I am still unsettled, I suppose as my buddy has just returned to the UK. Life feels very difficult at the moment, mainly adjusting to the new culture, way of life and current lack of contacts. If anyone has any suggestions to ease the settling in process then I would be happy to hear from them.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:54 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing jobs

Originally Posted by jayjaysaxking
I arrived at the end of March and came to the Wellington area as I had a British friend already here. Unfortunately, due to poor wages he has had to return to Uk after 7 months living here as he could not afford to pay his way here with his family of 3 kids. I dropped him off at the airport yesterday.

Anyway, I am working but unhappy with my current job and have a job interview in a week for another job. I have been told that I can't legally change jobs until I have my residency, as my visa (work to residency) in my passport has my current employer printed on it. Does anyone know whether it is possible to change jobs? If so, would I have to contact immigration NZ and inform them?

I am living in Paraparaumu on the Kapiti coast North of Wellington. I am still unsettled, I suppose as my buddy has just returned to the UK. Life feels very difficult at the moment, mainly adjusting to the new culture, way of life and current lack of contacts. If anyone has any suggestions to ease the settling in process then I would be happy to hear from them.

Sorry, can't help. Is it possible to sit tight until your 3 months are up then change jobs?
There seems to be a big BE membership around Wellington, I'm sure most of them would be willing to meet up and make you feel a bit less isolated.
Karma to keep you going,
Karen B
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future

Hi Karen, thanks for the reply. I've actually got over 2 years until my current visa is up, so it would be an unrealistic time period to sit tight. I'm sure things will get easier. Just the shock of feeling isolated having just dropped my friend off at the airport yesterday
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:33 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen, thanks for the reply. I've actually got over 2 years until my current visa is up, so it would be an unrealistic time period to sit tight. I'm sure things will get easier. Just the shock of feeling isolated having just dropped my friend off at the airport yesterday
I was really sorry to read this, poor you, it must be really tough. Do you have other contacts in the area at all? Did you come over on your own? I can name you quite a few posters from here in your area that as Karen said, I'm sure would be up for meeting up over a few drinks etc? Have you corresponded with anyone from here in your area?

Karma for you, not as good as a hug I know?!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:42 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

hey there !
i would have a look on the NZIS website, i think it depends on the type of WTR visa you have. i'm going over on a talent WTR visa & can change jobs as long as new employer is accredited & all conditions met etc... sorry , cant be more help but hope you find your way soon
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression having been to two NZ Shows in the UK that you could change jobs, but your work to residency status would start all over again, and you would have to go through the same rigmarol as before. Post the question on the NZIS website, it'll take them 3 days to respond, but they will respond.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:24 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I meant, could you stay in your present employment until the 3 months was up - I know that at least one poster on here has done just that and then moved on. If you can stay with it that long, it secures your residency and leaves you free to explore other avenues. And If the other poster replies, which I will PM them about, you may get some REAL advice!
Karen B
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:40 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

jay, found this on the NZIS page,

I'm no longer working for the same employer as when I was granted my permit. Does this affect my Work Permit?
If you’re here under a working holiday scheme, changing employers does not affect your Work Permit.

For all other workers, if your employer is named on your Work Permit, then you need to inform us that you’ve changed employer. You will need to apply for another Work Permit and must apply for a new permit when you have a job offer. You should not start work in your new job until you have a new Work Permit.

If you gained your permit because you secured a job with an accredited New Zealand employer, you’ll only be able to remain in New Zealand if you’re working for another accredited employer. Even if you find work with another accredited employer, we’ll still need to approve the arrangement.

ceri
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I meant, could you stay in your present employment until the 3 months was up - I know that at least one poster on here has done just that and then moved on. If you can stay with it that long, it secures your residency and leaves you free to explore other avenues. And If the other poster replies, which I will PM them about, you may get some REAL advice!
Karen B
karen I think that "3 months" is with straight PR under skilled migrant category not "work to residence" that the OP was talking about.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent you a PM (private message). "Winnie" from this forum also lives at Paraparamu. What is your line of work?