Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Changes to Student Loan Eligibility

Changes to Student Loan Eligibility

Old May 24th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes to Student Loan Eligibility

For those of you wanting/using student loans to study in NZ, I've just been sent a letter indicating changes that have just been made to it:

The Government announced changes to Student Loan eligibility in May 2010 that may affect your Student Loan entitlement:

To get a Student Loan for study starting on or after 1 January 2011, students need to have held permanent resident status for at least two years, lived in New Zealand for at least two years and be ordinarily resident in New Zealand.

It doesn't affect current loans for 2010.

Check out studylink.gov.nz for further details
Old May 25th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Chrisbower will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Changes to Student Loan Eligibility

I have been looking at student loans as I moving from UK to NZ at the beginning of July to start studying for a degree at the BOP Polytechnic starting second semester 2010.

I was hoping to apply for a student loan to pay for my course fees but a bit worried about the living in NZ for 2 years that studylink have stated. I have full residence visa and im 20. Do you think I am likely to get one in July?
Old May 25th 2010, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisbower
I have been looking at student loans as I moving from UK to NZ at the beginning of July to start studying for a degree at the BOP Polytechnic starting second semester 2010.

I was hoping to apply for a student loan to pay for my course fees but a bit worried about the living in NZ for 2 years that studylink have stated. I have full residence visa and im 20. Do you think I am likely to get one in July?
In response to what I have just said, iv just found this that iv quoted from studylink:

"If a student studied in 2010 and doesn't yet meet the two year requirement they may be able to continue to get a Student Loan until they complete their current qualification or for a maximum of two years - whichever occurs first."

If im reading that correctly, if im already studying for my degree in July 2010, I may be eligable to continue my loan in the following 2 years until i complete my degree?
Old May 25th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I don't know as you haven't already started studying here and it does state for study already started. You'll have to contact them and ask them. They've been pretty helpful on the phone when I've spoken to them.

You could always try filling out their online form which lets you know,in theory, if you're eligible.

Happy Studying!
Old May 25th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but it sounds like that you would not get a loan for the last semester?
Old May 25th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

I will have to ring both my polytechnic and studylink later. I cant apply for a loan yet on their website as I do not have an NZ address to provide them with. Plus, the course im doing runs from feb-feb and im joining in July so i dont know wether I will just need to pay for the last half of the course or weather I will pay the full year from July-July if that makes sense?