Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Changeable weather

Changeable weather

Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Changeable weather

Those planning a move to NZ, especially the South Island, need to be aware of the changeable nature of the temperatures at this time of year. I live in Timaru and in the last 2 weeks I think we've had the whole range of extremes. It's November which should be spring, heading to summer, right? Well, in the last two weeks we've had rain, hail and snow. We've also had 3 days in the high 20s to 30s and then today it dropped to 15. That's Canterbury for you. We often get norwest winds for 3 days that bring super high temps and drive everyone nuts and then it swings around to the south and you get really cold weather again. We lit our fire again last night. Who knows tomorrow may be balmy.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Changeable weather

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Those planning a move to NZ, especially the South Island, need to be aware of the changeable nature of the temperatures at this time of year. I live in Timaru and in the last 2 weeks I think we've had the whole range of extremes. It's November which should be spring, heading to summer, right? Well, in the last two weeks we've had rain, hail and snow. We've also had 3 days in the high 20s to 30s and then today it dropped to 15. That's Canterbury for you. We often get norwest winds for 3 days that bring super high temps and drive everyone nuts and then it swings around to the south and you get really cold weather again. We lit our fire again last night. Who knows tomorrow may be balmy.
Hi there its been the same here in Nelson i have never known it so cold since iv'e been here....
Cally
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changeable weather

That's NZ for you - be prepared for 4 seasons in one day - crazy !!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

.... our C Heating has come on during the last 2 days... and its been off for weeks now. Last week it was really hot here and this week its a bit dreary and not too warm.... so changeable up here too. Bring back the nicer weather!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
.... our C Heating has come on during the last 2 days... and its been off for weeks now. Last week it was really hot here and this week its a bit dreary and not too warm.... so changeable up here too. Bring back the nicer weather!!
Well it is a beautiful day here in Canterbury. Sun has been out all morning, really hot and I have dried a line full of washing, ironed it and put it away. Now on the radio I hear we have rain and hail and thunder expected later on with temps dropping!! Strange weather indeed!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:43 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why some central heating has been on the last couple of days - Bloomin' parky by the sea last night - wind was bitter in comparison with the past week. But summer's not quite here yet......
We'll be complaining about flys, heat and UV radiation soon.........
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

its going to be a home from home then lol 4 seasons in one day here in scotland, im sure we had snow in april here this year 1 week of sun with temps around 21 then rest of year rain and coldness. the joys huh
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Its weird is'nt it. You can get four seasons in one day..
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:24 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's just bragging

Was freezing here in HB yesterday- lit the fire last night. Today it is high 20's
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Now that's just bragging

Was freezing here in HB yesterday- lit the fire last night. Today it is high 20's
BB, I dont deny we are really lucky to have the CH! We always budgeted for it from when we first got here. OH spent months researching all available forms of heating and then finally we found a company in Auckland willing to install the boiler and CH. It works really well and our house is toasty in the winter... dont think we'll be moving from this old house anytime soon!

Today was just lovely again!! I love the sun and warm weather!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:05 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

BB, I dont deny we are really lucky to have the CH! We always budgeted for it from when we first got here. OH spent months researching all available forms of heating and then finally we found a company in Auckland willing to install the boiler and CH. It works really well and our house is toasty in the winter... dont think we'll be moving from this old house anytime soon!

Today was just lovely again!! I love the sun and warm weather!
I was only teasing