Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To change or not to change - the queen has spoken

To change or not to change - the queen has spoken

Old Mar 12th 2016, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default To change or not to change - the queen has spoken

Just in case you're struggling to make your mind up, Lorde's Mum says #neverever

Kiwi celebrities and flag change: who says yes and who says no? | Stuff.co.nz
Old Mar 12th 2016, 10:07 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To change or not to change - the queen has spoken

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Just in case you're struggling to make your mind up, Lorde's Mum says #neverever

Kiwi celebrities and flag change: who says yes and who says no? | Stuff.co.nz
Yikes, z list celebrities speak!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 11:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who cannot tell the difference from NZ flag against the Australian flag should be ashamed of themselves. Yes Richie McCaw I'm talking to you
Old Mar 13th 2016, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Yikes, z list celebrities speak!
I'm not voting until I hear from someone with a bit more authority - I was hoping we would at least hear what Justin Bieber's mum has to say on the matter.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 4:29 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
anyone who cannot tell the difference from NZ flag against the Australian flag should be ashamed of themselves. Yes Richie McCaw I'm talking to you
Your right they are both bloody terrible.....
Old Mar 13th 2016, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
The Australian flag looks odd

Better they change to avoid confusion

Perhaps a banana? or red fruit certainty not green
Old Mar 13th 2016, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

I have talked to Kiwis about this and their arguments against flag change are very strange, mainly that it's a selfish scheme by John Key to get his name in the history books thus they stand against it. Others are than many fought and died under the flag. What they don't understand is that most of Europe's flags are merely a few centuries old to represent the vast social and political change of that Nation.

New Zealand has a foreign nation symbol on it's flag yet New Zealand is a multi cultural nation that is starting to develop its own identity away from its colonial past, surely they should want that represented. Some people are afraid of change for no other reason than its different than what they are used to, kiwis are definitely in this category
Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:11 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to change the flag, but I don't feel the new one represents me as much as the current one so I voted no, on the grounds that we are likely to get another option to change in a year or two for a better design. If the new flag is chosen now, it will never change.

The current flag has the symbol of our head of state, the Queen, so it's not entirely inappropriate.

Is it a vanity project for the PM? Yes. Is that a good reason not to vote for it? No, if you like the design.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

So, here you go, that's helpful???????????????????

In today's NZ Herald

The alternative to the New Zealand flag is "bad feng shui" and could bring bad luck, instability and even a stock market crash, a New Zealand feng shui consultant says.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Being a foreigner, I'll wait to see what South Koreas Lydia Ko says before casting my vote
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

or south africa's Irene van Dyk, what a great kiwi she is
Old Mar 16th 2016, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm gutted we've heard about every tweet and move of Lewis Hamilton this week, yet still no mention of what he has to say about the flag.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets wait and see what Mrs Mountbatten says.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddy234
I have talked to Kiwis about this and their arguments against flag change are very strange, mainly that it's a selfish scheme by John Key to get his name in the history books thus they stand against it. Others are than many fought and died under the flag. What they don't understand is that most of Europe's flags are merely a few centuries old to represent the vast social and political change of that Nation.

New Zealand has a foreign nation symbol on it's flag yet New Zealand is a multi cultural nation that is starting to develop its own identity away from its colonial past, surely they should want that represented. Some people are afraid of change for no other reason than its different than what they are used to, kiwis are definitely in this category
Don't agree. Kiwis love change; sell it, tear it down, cut it down; "we want new shiny things". Respect for the land and its history is low. We are still part of the Commonwealth and should celebrate
this and support the Brits to get out of the EU and so be able to rebulild close ties with NZ again. The flag is the past and the present and the future for NZ. I grew up in NZ under that flag. If you don't like it, find another country whose flag you find more pleasing.