Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cats - serial killers ? discuss......

cats - serial killers ? discuss......

Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:39 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Question cats - serial killers ? discuss......

No doubt this will be all over the news, but to make Nz pest free and give some native species a chance do we also need to be a land of fewer (or zero) cats ????
http://garethsworld.com/catstogo/
Discuss.........
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:43 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cats - serial killers ? discuss......

Oh dear not a cat lover I see??? My cat has only brought sparrows, starlings and blackbirds in and mice, I don't like that about cats I must admit and we have saved a few off her and have a bell on her collar that don't work obviously !!!!!!

But what about indoor cats? They aren't a threat
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cats like small twitchy things so mice & small birds are fair game in all honestly. Mine is well fed and only out during daylight hours. He's mostly sleeping but has brought in the odd mouse or bird as an unwanted present.

Feral cats will obviously be a problem as they look to feed themselves.
Neutering the cat is a way to go.

I'm actually in favour of cat registration and licensing. Compulsory microchip/neutering etc.

If cats are all to go , then it should be the same for dogs.

After all,dogs are known to attack birds also. along with other animals
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Cats like small twitchy things so mice & small birds are fair game in all honestly. Mine is well fed and only out during daylight hours. He's mostly sleeping but has brought in the odd mouse or bird as an unwanted present.

I'm actually in favour of cat registration and licensing. Compulsory microchip/neutering etc.

agreed, registration chipping and neutering are all good ideas and probably the minimum we should be looking at to minimise the damage.

Can't see how dogs can be as bad for birds as cats though, with Kiwis being the obvious exception. Never had to put a bird or baby rabbit out of its misery when a dog is playing with it.......never known of a dog I've owned or been close to showing any sign of taking birds.

I suppose if Gareth Morgan wants to suggest a phase out of owned cats and putting down anything else, that's up to him but I reckon he's gonna get some flack!

Like I did even though I never said I agreed with his website or his views.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:06 pm

Mine has been neutered and is getting microchipped this week
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

YES! We can have hamsters instead
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
YES! We can have hamsters instead
What is exiting about hamsters??? they are boring and can bite
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
What is exiting about hamsters??? they are boring and can bite
Mine didn't bite, a couple of vets I met commented on how tame they were. Hamsters are just great fun & sooooooo cute. So much nicer than cats

And they don't poo in my garden!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Jan 22nd 2013 at 4:21 am. Reason: To add more
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:58 pm

Mine didn't bite, a couple of vets I met commented on how tame they were. Hamsters are just great fun & sooooooo cute. So much nicer than cats

And they don't poo in my garden!
never owned a hamster and won't be able to in NZ one of my friends hamster used to bite!!!

And first time I have owned a cat in my life and my cat is lovely, but I'm not so sure I would have one again as I'm worried that she could come to harm by people that hate cats!! Luckily my neighbours have cats and they love her, only got her as my kids wanted a pet! Had a Guinea pig in the uk
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

We had a mad neighbour (when we lived in Burton-on-Trent) who loathed cats. He was always buying stuff to keep cats out of his garden. We were woken at 6am one morning with him shouting 'blue murder' & flicking cat poo onto his neighbour's house wall, that he had found on his lawn. His neighbour owned two cats & so he had decided it must've come from them.

Made us laugh cos Bob had really lost it. He didn't seem to understand why we were more bothered by his cyprus trees that were 8ft high & planted very close to the border between his house & ours. Now they were a bloody nuisance.

However, I have nothing against cats per se, perhaps we need to limit the numbers households are allowed to own. Would a reduction in the number of cats lead to an increase in the number of rats & mice I wonder.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That might have been hedgehog poo or someone's Jack Russell on the QT
Hedgies are given to pooping, flat out, on grass. Cat's tend to bury their poops.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:45 pm

That might have been hedgehog poo or someone's Jack Russell on the QT
Hedgies are given to pooping, flat out, on grass. Cat's tend to bury their poops.
Yep we have hedgehog poops my cat doesn't poop in the garden!!!

Agree cats bury it, dogs don't
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

I've seen cats pooing on the lawn in this country & in the UK. They don't always bury it. We don't talk about Guinea Pigs in front of OH, the neighbour's cat ate his two . He's never quite got over it.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:18 pm

I've seen cats pooing on the lawn in this country & in the UK. They don't always bury it. We don't talk about Guinea Pigs in front of OH, the neighbour's cat ate his two . He's never quite got over it.
Ate the guinea pigs??? that's horrible!!!!

And your right my hubby said he's seen our cat pooh on the lawn
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We have three cats. I know someone who has seven!

The two older (Leeds born!) cats don't hunt much as far as I can tell but Sam the 3 year-old is a killer. Mostly rats, which is fine by me except when he brings them in alive.

All of ours are neutered and I believe all domestic cats should be, they can breed so quickly if left to themselves!

But shouldn't we be going after other pests that destroy the place? Possums, rabbits, stoats etc.
Though the success there shows how (un)successful eradicating cats might be.

Domestic cats are an easy target.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.