British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cats-576927/)

AndyNic08 Dec 5th 2008 9:09 am

Cats

Who took their Cat with them when they moved?

We need some info on how much it might cost to take our cat Molly along with us to New Zealand. She is a very much loved part of the family and the kids would miss her loads, but if it works out too pricey she will have to stay behind!

4kiwi4 Dec 5th 2008 9:18 am

Re: Cats

Hi, we brought our 3 cats and a cocker spaniel, also called Molly, to NZ with us. In total all tests, boarding and shipping costs came to 3,500 GBP, so I reckon just one cat would cost about maybe 800 pound? if you want any other info let me know. Carol X

Stoof Dec 5th 2008 10:34 am

we looked into taking ours with us, but at £1500ish we decided to find him a nice new home here before we leave! got some friends that will take him, but sure we'll have to replace him when we get to nz! tough decision but just can't justify the money - we could almost get two of us there for that!!

Browner_ Dec 5th 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by AndyNic08 (Post 7039445)

We need some info on how much it might cost to take our cat Molly along with us to New Zealand. She is a very much loved part of the family and the kids would miss her loads, but if it works out too pricey she will have to stay behind!

I brought my cat over, but it cost a lot more than my personal flight over , thats for sure

It was quite easy to arrange though, and she only needed a couple of weeks quarantine in UK before she left.

AndyNic08 Dec 5th 2008 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 7039622)
we looked into taking ours with us, but at £1500ish we decided to find him a nice new home here before we leave! got some friends that will take him, but sure we'll have to replace him when we get to nz! tough decision but just can't justify the money - we could almost get two of us there for that!!

Thats loads...I have someone who will take good care of her :( think it will be more sensible that way. £1500 is a lot of much needed money.

Thankyou for all your replies!

4kiwi4 Dec 5th 2008 5:49 pm

WOW 1,500 GBP sounds a bit steep and as for quarantine for two weeks, well you don't need it. I had mine in the cattery where they were shipped from for just the night before I left. I used ParAir in Stanway, Nr Colchester, Essex. Which isn't in your area but ring around. You definitely don't need to quarantine them though!!!! My bill was including made to measure crates for 3 cats and a dog, all paperwork, blood tests, poo tests etc. And you just pick them up from the airport when you arrive, no quarantine here either. Hope that helps? good luck, and if you make the move it'll be worth it.

EmandKen Dec 5th 2008 7:51 pm

Yes, bring her! We brought our two cats over (aged 11 and 9) and are so glad we did. We've been here 5 weeks with them and they love it. We used Airpets (I'd recommend them) and they flew Air NZ from Heathrow.

They were a bit confused when we first arrived but have suffered no ill effects at all. It cost us £1600 for the two of them and that included 3 nights board at Airpets before the flight.

We wouldn't be feeling so happy here if we didn't have our cats with us.
Emma

becky667 Dec 5th 2008 8:14 pm

Hi

Its costing us £1600 to fly our dog over and hes a big dog! The cost is worked out on the size of the crate they need.

No need for quaratine - drop them off at the airport (or get someone to do it for you) then collect them at other end.

Before you rule out leaving your cat behind, get some quotes emailed to you from companies.

Becky

BEVS Dec 5th 2008 9:19 pm

I agree with Becky in her post above. Phone or email all the pet exporters and ask them for quotes. Then you could try to haggle the price down a little. You don't need quarantine for your cat but you will need a micro-chip , worming , flea treatment and some lab tests. The pet shippers walk you through this, it will all be in their price and it is really easey peasey.

We brought both our lovely cats out with us and they now have the time of their lives here. They really do. :) You wouldn't have thought they had flown to the other side of the globe . They acted like they'd had an afternoon snooze.

As we did this over 4 years ago now, I am not up to date on current prices . I had a thought it would be around £850 quid or so. Even if it were a grand £1000 , that would equate to around $2700 NZD on a good day and to have your family pet and member of the family with you in your new country will be worth it's weight in gold, if you are anything like us. It is a large sum of money. There is no doubt about that, but what you gain is just ssoo worth it.
Every day I see them here , I am so pleased we brought the pair of rascals with us. Actually, in fact, they made it here before me and arrived the day after the husband arrived & one made the news in the local paper. :p

The pet shippers will be only too happy to offer you a quote and some guidance.

Try
Airpets
Golden Arrow phone 01588 680240
Parair
Pets by air
Ladyhaye
Pet Exporters

for starters.

Kimi-Deacon Dec 6th 2008 12:00 am

We brought our cat with us and i am so glad that we did, there is only OH and us living out here, as my kids are grown up and living in the UK so cat is now our much loved baby.

Life for him is fantastic here, we have a valley full of bush to one side of the house, and he is happier now than when we were in the UK, he gets up at sunrise heads in to the bush and we dont see him until around 8 or 9 pm in the evening.

We used PAR AIR and they were very good, it cost us £1200 but that was because we had to have him boarded in the UK for 3 weeks before he came out here, so they had to do all the tests while he was with them. My advice would be to bring your cat if you can as they help you to settle.

4kiwi4 Dec 6th 2008 7:25 am

Hi, I totally agree with Bev and the above posts, my cats and dog were my little bit of comfort when we moved to the other side of the world. I think I would have gone mad without their love and affection, and live Bev, my cats and dog just love their new life here, I would never have come without them and hubby knew that :) and it's been the best money I've spent getting here. Good luck.

nukiwi Dec 7th 2008 5:15 am

We used Golden Arrow in Shropshire to fly our 2 cats out to NZ. They were flown with Air New Zealand via Hong Kong and l agree with Bev, it was as if they had had an afternoon nap, they were in remarkable shape after such a long flight. Golden Arrow were absolutely fantastic and I would recommend them highly to anyone. We paid just under £2000 for the 2 but this included 21 days boarding before as we did not have time to do their tests and a collection charge as we had sold both cars. Golden Arrow took care of them and did everything to get them ready and approved for the journey. The cost for one cat would normally be around £800.

Personally I could not have left mine behind. They seem much more happier here and they are part of the family. You do not need quarantine but as mentioned above you need the usual worming, flea and faeces tests and they must be micro-chipped.

hazeandsteve Dec 7th 2008 9:06 am

We brought ours too.
Sadly, the boy couldn't cope with the car trip to the cattery and died en route, but the girl is here.
She's part of the family, and we'd decided the risks were better than leaving them, but love her so much we couldn't contemplate not bringing her over.
It really depends on how daft you are how emotionally tied you are to them really.
Shipping including cattery quarantine and vet poo/blood tests was about £1100, money well spent we think.
We did get a kitten to keep her company once we'd bought the house, but it changed Buddy too much, she just sulked a lot, so the kitten had to go back to the SPCA. She's been through enough getting here that her happiness is a big priority, to the extent that I won't contemplate leaving town 'til she's passed on as well.
Bring 'em if you love 'em, if you're sensible rather than emotional, don't.

RobClubley Dec 8th 2008 6:22 pm

We're definitely daft :D

Brought our two cats with us for a little over double what our two flights cost!

But they love it here. They have a big garden, trees to climb, birds to chase, mice to catch etc.

kayos Dec 9th 2008 6:26 am

Originally Posted by AndyNic08 (Post 7039445)

Give Animal Airlines in Cheshire a call for a quote. (see website)

http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/contactus.html

They were very competitive so we used them to bring our dog over. We had loads of quotes and advice but decided to use them as they were the most helpful and you don't need to pay for boarding fees which increase most company's costs. Our dog arrived safe and well and is enjoying life here and even though she's an old girl it was well worth the cost.

Good luck!