British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cat friendly rentals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cat-friendly-rentals-328536/)

Dave and Lyns Sep 28th 2005 8:34 pm

Cat friendly rentals

We were wondering how easy it is finding a house to rent around Auckland that allows you to keep cats, as we want to take ours with us but we want to rent while we suss out the area. If anyone has any experience of this or any recommendations it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Dave and Lyns

England Girl Sep 29th 2005 12:16 pm

Re: Cat friendly rentals

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
We were wondering how easy it is finding a house to rent around Auckland that allows you to keep cats, as we want to take ours with us but we want to rent while we suss out the area. If anyone has any experience of this or any recommendations it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Dave and Lyns

I have friends who took their cats with them when they moved to NZ last year. They were lucky to have rellies in taupo to look after cats while they did a world tour of NZ.

But they found a really nice rental in Mangere Bridge (not dodgy Mangere but lovely, near a park, great views of water and islands and close to airport where one of them worked but not too close that it affected property) which allowed them to have their cats.

Also came with a cat flap.

Last time I heard they were househunting for something to buy so if you're interested I'll email them for you. House was unfurnished, two bedrooms with a small office room and lounge/dining upstairs with basement below - lots of storage facilities.

And a nice little garden with deck above.

Alison

Dave and Lyns Sep 30th 2005 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by England Girl
I have friends who took their cats with them when they moved to NZ last year. They were lucky to have rellies in taupo to look after cats while they did a world tour of NZ.

But they found a really nice rental in Mangere Bridge (not dodgy Mangere but lovely, near a park, great views of water and islands and close to airport where one of them worked but not too close that it affected property) which allowed them to have their cats.

Also came with a cat flap.

Last time I heard they were househunting for something to buy so if you're interested I'll email them for you. House was unfurnished, two bedrooms with a small office room and lounge/dining upstairs with basement below - lots of storage facilities.

And a nice little garden with deck above.

Alison

Hi Alison!

Thanks for the offer :D - could you e-mail them and PM us please?

Cheers :beer:

Dave and Lyns :)

popkid Oct 3rd 2005 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Dave and Lyns

we arrived 3 weeks ago in Auckland with our 2 tiny cats - your supposed to keep them in for 4 weeks but we've just let them out for a roam and they are totally LOVING IT!!!

NZers seem to be very into pets - loads of propeties we looked at were cool for cats (!) - we checked ours was ok with it and that there was a bit of garden area for them, then lo and behold when we arrived there was already a catflap in the back door!

We got 2 rental companies to email us properties in the area we wanted (north shore) and told them we had cats. They were Century 21 and LJ Hooker. Both were more than happy to oblige. The emailed us listings each week with photos and when we chose one we paid the bond/rent etc into their account ahead of time. No probs!

Flight was fine too - they were jumping around and looking at the (fabulous) views within a couple of hours of getting to the new home.
GO for it!