British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cat Exporters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cat-exporters-628212/)

AngelaandJim Aug 29th 2009 11:23 pm

Cat Exporters

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have been speaking to pet exporters for my raggies all have been helpful till I ask about the toilet facilities while they are flying. They are non exsistent!! they get an absorbent lining and are expected to lay in their own dirt :thumbdown: to me this is barrbarick and disgusting. I then spoke to Pets On The Move (who have offices throughout the country) and was delighted to find they have carriers with small litter trays in the back :thumbup: The only part of the journey they will not have it is from Austrailia to NZ which is only 3hrs so it's not so bad. They get no food throughout the journey but have water. I feel so much happier about the way they do things as I have been panicking about my beloved babies

Attachment 84630

MnB Aug 30th 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cat Exporters

hey Angela ...glad you seem to have got that one sorted!
Totally understand your worries.....poor cats! At least yours will be able to 'dig' for the longest part of their journey :)
B x

Cadibel Aug 30th 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7887510)
Hi all,

I have been speaking to pet exporters for my raggies all have been helpful till I ask about the toilet facilities while they are flying. They are non exsistent!! they get an absorbent lining and are expected to lay in their own dirt :thumbdown: to me this is barrbarick and disgusting. I then spoke to Pets On The Move (who have offices throughout the country) and was delighted to find they have carriers with small litter trays in the back :thumbup: The only part of the journey they will not have it is from Austrailia to NZ which is only 3hrs so it's not so bad. They get no food throughout the journey but have water. I feel so much happier about the way they do things as I have been panicking about my beloved babies

Attachment 84630

Your cats are gorgeous! How much does it cost per raggie?

127luton Aug 30th 2009 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7887510)
Hi all,

Attachment 84630

Hi there - they are just absolutely gorgeous, i would also be worried about the journey for ur 'babies'
Good luck
Berni
x:thumbsup:

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 7888494)
hey Angela ...glad you seem to have got that one sorted!
Totally understand your worries.....poor cats! At least yours will be able to 'dig' for the longest part of their journey :)
B x

Hey B

They can dig all they like and someone gets to clean it up for a change :thumbsup:

Angela ;)

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cadibel (Post 7888614)
Your cats are gorgeous! How much does it cost per raggie?

Hi

Thank You. They are gorgeous but I am biased hehe. They were £350 each and also quiet expensive to keep but to me they are worth every penny :D

Angela

BEVS Aug 30th 2009 10:53 pm

Our cats flew with Airpets in the usual pet carrier boxes provided by the pet exporter.

Can I just say that when our two much loved cats arrived in NZ they were in no way 'laying in their own dirt'. Both the cats and their respective boxes were completely & utterly clean. My husband met them straight off the 2nd leg of the long haul flight.

Food is withheld prior to departure for obvious reasons. Cats are not naturally given to defecating in confined spaces as far as I know.

In the 6/7 years I have frequented the emigration forums I have never read a complaint of an animal being found to be in its own mess .

I hope this puts your mind at rest.

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 11:02 pm

Hi

Thank you for that. I just hate the thought of them having nowhere to do the toilet. The lady said everything is taken out of the carriers in Australia but having nowhere to do toilet for 3 hours is better than 30hrs. I'm a real worrier as many people are when it comes to their pets

Angela :)

BEVS Aug 30th 2009 11:09 pm

Yup. I can understand that. My cats were 9 and 7 yrs when they travelled and are my very special boys.:wub: Husband knows the pecking order in this house. ;) I had stated that if the cats didn't emigrate , neither would I.

Cats tend to defecate and wee only once in the 24 hours . If they don't like their toileting place, they will hold onto it, just like we do.

Please try not to overly worry. So many people have brought their animals without any problems at all.

All I can re-iterate is that my animals travelled in the normal pet carrier and arrived perfectly clean , calm, healthy and happy. They breezed the whole thing it seemed. Most probably slept being cats and didn't even display jet-lag :lol:. They just arrived and said feed me please.

AngelaandJim Aug 30th 2009 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7889867)
Yup. I can understand that. My cats were 9 and 7 yrs when they travelled and are my very special boys.:wub: Husband knows the pecking order in this house. ;) I had stated that if the cats didn't emigrate , neither would I.

Cats tend to defecate and wee only once in the 24 hours . If they don't like their toileting place, they will hold onto it, just like we do.

Please try not to overly worry. So many people have brought their animals without any problems at all.

All I can re-iterate is that my animals travelled in the normal pet carrier and arrived perfectly clean , calm, healthy and happy. They breezed the whole thing it seemed. Most probably slept being cats and didn't even display jet-lag :lol:. They just arrived and said feed me please.

Thanks Bev :)

My hubby and ur hubby know there place then lol

Ellie & Libby will be just of 2 and Oscar will be 10 months providing all goes to plan. Ellie weighs a stone already so a day with no food will do no harm lol

Cheeries Bev

Wooly_Cow Aug 31st 2009 4:22 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7889894)
Thanks Bev :)

Ellie weighs a stone already so a day with no food will do no harm lol

Cheeries Bev

Krusty (don't ask!) went on the 'Airpets' diet....and looked very trim when he arrived....and clean so no worries there :)

His only issue is he doesn't 'do' windy days which is a bit of a problem living in Wellington. He gets fed, pokes his head out side, rushes to ......, and zooms inside for another day watching day time TV!....

Bottom line if he is anything to go by, cats travel really well!

maisiep Aug 31st 2009 9:50 am

Aw, I feel for you, our two cats rule the household and we were so worried about moving them out here. It really added to the stress of emigrating, silly as that sounds! We used Airpets and our two turned up absolutely fine, they weren't sitting in their own dirt or anything like that. They also seemed to recover very quickly from the trauma of a 30 hour journey, especially considering these were two cats that used to cry constanly on a 15minute car drive!

You're bound to worry about them on such a long trip but try not to stress about it, because when you get here and they are running round like normal within minutes of arriving...you'll just think...what on earth was I fretting about!

Cadibel Aug 31st 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7888897)
Hi

Thank You. They are gorgeous but I am biased hehe. They were £350 each and also quiet expensive to keep but to me they are worth every penny :D

Angela

I have 2 British shorthairs - one white and cream, although they are getting a bit elderly now, bless (10 and 13)

AngelaandJim Aug 31st 2009 12:37 pm

They are beautiful cats too ;)