Cashing in shares

Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cashing in shares

I have a small amount of shares through a job. They're still in the period where I would pay tax on the income if I cash them in. If I wait until I'm in NZ to cash them in then transfer the money would I pay NZ tax rate rather than UK?

Starting to do hard costings now to see how we can make this happen and every little will help.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing in shares

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I have a small amount of shares through a job. They're still in the period where I would pay tax on the income if I cash them in. If I wait until I'm in NZ to cash them in then transfer the money would I pay NZ tax rate rather than UK?

Starting to do hard costings now to see how we can make this happen and every little will help.
If you are a new migrant to NZ, then you will qualify for a 4 year tax free exemption on overseas income (including shares). You would need to make sure you advise the UK authorities that you are no longer tax resident in the UK before cashing the shares in.

This is complex area and a qualified accountant that is aware of the rules should be consulted before taking any action. In the meantime, here is a publication from KPMG.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cashing in shares

Thank you. The four year rule is going to be very good for us I think

We'll definitely need some professional advice as we hope to sell the house before coming over and will be bringing private as well as state pensions with us. There's a LOT of anxiety at the moment as we've just had an industrial development approved next to the house that means it may now be worthless but that's another battle. If it's worthless we can't move anywhere but I have to believe it isn't and will sell for my own sanity.

The good thing is that we were havering a little before, mainly due to parents in final stages of life and fear at such a big step at our ages. We definitely wanted to come to NZ for at least ten years but weren't sure after that. Now we know we want to move and doubt we'll ever go back to the UK.