Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cashing in Kiwisaver $$?

cashing in Kiwisaver $$?

Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default cashing in Kiwisaver $$?

Hi,
Has anyone made the switch back to the UK and gone through the process of cashing in/transferring Kiwisaver money?
I have about 4 year's worth and could do with a few $$$. Alternatively I may be sensible and try to transfer into a UK pension. Otherwise it is just sitting there doing nothing much. Just wondering has gone through the process and if it was straightforward.

Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cashing in Kiwisaver $$?

Originally Posted by turkeys
Hi,
Has anyone made the switch back to the UK and gone through the process of cashing in/transferring Kiwisaver money?
I have about 4 year's worth and could do with a few $$$. Alternatively I may be sensible and try to transfer into a UK pension. Otherwise it is just sitting there doing nothing much. Just wondering has gone through the process and if it was straightforward.

Cheers
Hi,
You cant bring it over until you have been out of NZ for a year. Not sure how difficult it is but we will be doing it in July.
Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Just an update Spacecake.
It was pretty straightforward. A phone call to IRD, then another to AMP who manage my Kiwisaver. I now have a form required to request withdrawal of kiwisaver funds. You need to prove:
  • when you left the country - 1 year+
  • you are permanently employed - my situation slightly odd in that I work for a NZ company but am employed/paid for a UK one
  • proof of your address - 1yr+

You can either have the money paid into an account or transferred into a pension fund. You receive your employer's contributions, your contributions, the kick start $1000, but don't receive the government's tax contributions - that bit goes back to IRD :-) Hopefully some lolly coming my way soon.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeys
Just an update Spacecake.
It was pretty straightforward. A phone call to IRD, then another to AMP who manage my Kiwisaver. I now have a form required to request withdrawal of kiwisaver funds. You need to prove:
  • when you left the country - 1 year+
  • you are permanently employed - my situation slightly odd in that I work for a NZ company but am employed/paid for a UK one
  • proof of your address - 1yr+

You can either have the money paid into an account or transferred into a pension fund. You receive your employer's contributions, your contributions, the kick start $1000, but don't receive the government's tax contributions - that bit goes back to IRD :-) Hopefully some lolly coming my way soon.

Hi,
Thanks for that update. Sounds very straight forward and we will have all that information.
Just to add your situation is just like ours as my husband still works for his NZ employer but as a contractor now.
Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Yes I don't want to complicate things, just the raw facts, I am paid by a UK company, in ££s. Should be irrelevant that I 'work' for a NZ company.
Its not a huge amount but I am thinking half into pension and half on a holiday late summer here