Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

CASH OFFER - SCARY

CASH OFFER - SCARY

Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default CASH OFFER - SCARY

We've had a cash offer on our house today at near asking price after being on the market for 18 months.

IT SEEMS REAL AT LAST!

Oh what to do - to take it and risk coming over in a recession or play safe, stay here and always wonder what if...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CASH OFFER - SCARY

Originally Posted by MOSO
We've had a cash offer on our house today at near asking price after being on the market for 18 months.

IT SEEMS REAL AT LAST!

Oh what to do - to take it and risk coming over in a recession or play safe, stay here and always wonder what if...

Go for it this is what you have been waiting for. Grab it with both hands don't say in years to come we could have gone to NZ.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light

IT SEEMS REAL AT LAST!

OMG take it and run, crazy if you don't!!!!!!! i wish we'd get cash offer, some viewers would be nice! where do you live and have you had many viewers in 18 mths? we haven't!! good luck
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

IT SEEMS REAL AT LAST!

As Nike says....JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Don't even think about it. You have done that in the last 18 months. Get shot of the house and do one.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, congratulations on the cash offer, I'm so pleased for you after 18 months on the market too. Well done

I remember really well the odd feeling once our house was sold & the OMG this is really happening feelings, suddenly I didn't have a reason for not progressing with the emigration plans because the biggest obstacle was gone, and it's a little bit scary. I really understand where you're coming from.

But emigrating will always be a huge gamble, uprooting and moving to the other side of the world is a massive change and takes it's toll on you every which way. Some people will arrive and take to their new lives like ducks to water, some will realise pretty early on that they've made a massive, and very expensive mistake, others will take their time adjusting, but will settle in and build happy lives here. I wish I could tell you which group you'd belong too, but unfortunately it's a real suck it and see experience I think.

So, I'd suggest if it's something that you've been planning & dreaming about for a long time...then go for it . And I really, truly hope that it works out for you.......but whatever, at least you won't have any future "what if's" to contend with
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

linzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: CASH OFFER - SCARY

MOSO

Our house has been up for 12 mths now (with another viewing today at 2pm which is why I am up at this hour cleaning!!!!) so we know exactly how you are feeling. It's an emotional roller coaster .....the longer you're here the more you want to go. I can only imagine how it must feel once the house sells......lucky you!!!!
Grab the opportunity and, as someone else has said, give it a go, don't live with regrets. From the research I have done about NZ it seems to be everything we want as a family. This website has been invaluable as I have heard the good, bad and ugly and I am even keener to go now.
Keep me updated with what happens! Best of luck.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for all your messages and support, it certainly helps in these scary times. We are still in shock (hence up early!). The viewings have certainly picked up around here (Herts) in the last few weeks.

After several 'well we'd like to buy your house but can't sell ours, can't get a mortgage, we're waiting till house prices fall further...' non-sales last year. This year has been a lot more successful but at a cost - our price has reduced by £100,000 over the 18 months (as have comparable houses of course) but then house prices in the south-east were probably some of the most inflated too.

Anyway, we had a lower offer 4 weeks ago (270,000 - up to 280,000 max) and have been trying unsuccessfully to get them up to a reasonable level, but then all of a sudden someone came last weekend, came back yesterday and then nearly made me faint by saying we'd like to make you a cash offer (the lady is getting divorced so her parents are buying the house for her!) shall we make it now or through the agents. We said to do all negotiations through the Agent and came back with a cash offer of £290,000 which has now been matched by the other people, but they are in a chain and have been daudling along so we'll phone the agent this morning and accept the cash offer.

My husband spoke to the job agency that got him a job last year, that he had to reject and they were fairly optimistic in getting him at least a contract as he has alot of experience in 'change mangagement' which is what the Government both here and in NZ are into so it sounds promising.

Just got to tell the kids this morning - oh there'll be tears from my 9 year old daughter about her friends no doubt!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck MOSO
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:30 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Well done MOSO. Just hope everything slots into place for you now.

Good Luck!!

LB
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Go for it this is what you have been waiting for. Grab it with both hands don't say in years to come we could have gone to NZ.
Wise words indeed
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:54 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

IT SEEMS REAL AT LAST!

Take the cash and stay where you are and rent until you think the time is right for you to come!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:49 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Take it. What else are you going to do, wait for the value of the house to increase back to its previous level (which could take years, and by which time house prices in NZ would have risen too)?
Then dependent on the exchange rate put the money in either a New Zealand or UK savings account while you decide if NZ is for you. Even if it goes wrong the fact you're earning interest on your capital while house prices continue to fall mean that you're risk will be limited.
You'll need to work out whether the poor pound to dollar exchange rate is balanced by the better interest rates you'll get on savings in NZ.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamlt1972
Take it. What else are you going to do, wait for the value of the house to increase back to its previous level (which could take years, and by which time house prices in NZ would have risen too)?
Then dependent on the exchange rate put the money in either a New Zealand or UK savings account while you decide if NZ is for you. Even if it goes wrong the fact you're earning interest on your capital while house prices continue to fall mean that you're risk will be limited.
You'll need to work out whether the poor pound to dollar exchange rate is balanced by the better interest rates you'll get on savings in NZ.
Really pleased for our OP, great stuff.

Unless you think exchange rate will get worse (and indeed it might :curse IMHO it's not worth exchanging money to NZ$ simply because of a difference in the interest rate in NZ. Even a small improvement in exchange would soon negate that difference.

Last edited by chocolate cake; Jun 6th 2009 at 11:01 am. Reason: clarification