British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Carpet Beatles !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/carpet-beatles-637507/)

Natalie1303 Oct 25th 2009 11:57 pm

Carpet Beatles !!

:thumbdown:

Hello all, sorry about this disgusting topic!!! We have recently moved in to a gorgeous house but have noticed that all around the edge of every room the carpet is bald and freyed. We asked our neighbour the reason and he calmy said its 'just carpet beatles' :confused:
We have been looking into the horrid things on the internet and are considering either buying some 'beatle control powder/spray' or getting pest control in. We rent our house but dont want to offend our lovely landlords by mentioning it to them if its not a big deal to people that live here - dont know if we're just being paranoid??!!
We have an 8 week old baby so dont like to think of things living in the carpet whilst he's lying under his play gym on the floor,

Just after some advice really as to what you guys think??!!! Is pest control over the top??

Thanks, Natalie

CAN2NZ Oct 26th 2009 1:56 am

Re: Carpet Beatles !!

I would mention it to the landlord. First, you want to mention the state of the rugs so that he doesn't try to get to you replace them when you move out saying you damaged them. Also, you are obligated to let him know if there are any issues to ensure that he can take corrective action. If you don't tell him and do nothing and the rugs are further degraded you could be responsible. Lastly, don't start thinking of your landlord as that nice couple etc. They only want you for your money. I would suggest that the carpet beatle situation is not new, they may have known about it and don't care and don't care about letting you rent their "lovely house". Don't get sucked in, you are paying to stay in their house, they have an obligation to do more than take your money while at the same time likely making sure that they turn a loss on their property to reduce their overall tax expense at the cost to all of us.

LukeandJo Oct 26th 2009 1:01 pm

Take photos as well, with a date stamp on them.
Just to cover your back!

I bet you can get some kind of powder you put down and then hoover.

BEVS Oct 26th 2009 9:02 pm

Take photos with a date on them.
Get those landlords back round there immediately and show them . As the carpet edges are already damaged , this strongly suggests the problem is not new & has been ongoing for some time.
Contact the Tenancy Bond people and let them know .
Have the landlord remedy this problem and please remember that the landlord is not 'lovely'. They are the landlords who didn't treat this problem , but were quick enough to take your rent and let you move in with your baby

love30stm Oct 26th 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Natalie1303 (Post 8044619)
:thumbdown:

Hello all, sorry about this disgusting topic!!! We have recently moved in to a gorgeous house but have noticed that all around the edge of every room the carpet is bald and freyed. We asked our neighbour the reason and he calmy said its 'just carpet beatles' :confused:
We have been looking into the horrid things on the internet and are considering either buying some 'beatle control powder/spray' or getting pest control in. We rent our house but dont want to offend our lovely landlords by mentioning it to them if its not a big deal to people that live here - dont know if we're just being paranoid??!!
We have an 8 week old baby so dont like to think of things living in the carpet whilst he's lying under his play gym on the floor,

Just after some advice really as to what you guys think??!!! Is pest control over the top??

Thanks, Natalie

Are they called John, Ringo, George and Paul :p:rofl:

do you mean beetles? sorry couldnt resist ;)

Perry Groves Oct 26th 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8046819)
Are they called John, Ringo, George and Paul :p:rofl:

do you mean beetles? sorry couldnt resist ;)

play them some "Sgt Peppers lonely hearts club band"?

Wooly_Cow Oct 26th 2009 10:24 pm

My tip is before you move into a rented place - bug bomb it! That's what I do with every rental. The place is as empty as it's going to be, so I set off those smoke or spray 'bombs', wait a while (over night if I can) then vacuum everywhere especially round the edges of carpets and cracks in wooden floors.

Carpet beetles live of skin and the bodies of other insects so if you clean well you should lower the chance of getting them back. Also this will help with White Tails as they live of other spiders so cleaning the cobwebs will remove their food source.

Happy cleaning

Natalie1303 Oct 27th 2009 12:24 am

He he - my spelling is poor hey!!

Thankyou for all of your advice - i've left my landlords a message so we'll see what happens!

Just wasnt sure if this was a 'normal' thing - obviously not!!!

Thanks again :)

love30stm Oct 27th 2009 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Natalie1303 (Post 8047263)

Thankyou for all of your advice - i've left my landlords a message so we'll see what happens!

:lol: Hope you get it sorted ;)

BEVS Oct 27th 2009 6:18 am

Normal :scaredhair: Mate, if them woz the beatles, you would've been paying a mega-bucks. :lol:

Hope you get this sorted amicably. If not, stuff summat unspeakable and wiggly in their mail box. See how they like it.

Let us know.

Perry Groves Oct 27th 2009 8:35 am

O.K. serious answer now:)

We had carpet beetles, smelly little blighters. Sadly, we found that after replacing the carpet, they disappeared.