Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Carpenters pay rates

Carpenters pay rates

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Carpenters pay rates

Can anybody currently working in NZ help me out on this, I do 1st and 2nd fix, but not really cut and pitch roof's unless I'm working with someone else.

I made the mistake of watching wanted down under revisited for the family going to Wellington and the figures they were coming up with were well under what I would need to earn to apply for residency, assuming it goes back on the list....to be honest we are paying more than that to the labourers on our sites here in the UK.

I've had a look on trademe but nobody seems to want to say on paper what they are paying...

Thank you everybody
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenters pay rates

I gave a link out on another thread couple of weeks ago, fortunately on holiday so not on regulart computer
but I do remember just googling wages for carpenters and got a run down from one of the sites
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Yes i saw that thanks, I just wondered how accurate it was in the really real world, am assuming most of the chippies it is based on are going to be self employed and hence bringing home better money than the ones who are employed?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Probably depends on where you are but ive seen many carpenter jobs in Christchurch paying high 20's per hour.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:13 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I know of qualified tradesmen charging out at $60 - $75 ph in Auckland.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! ^^^^ That almost makes it worth living in Auckland (sorry ) Fingers crossed for a change in the LTSL on my birthday the 11th
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'd imagine these are self-employed tradesmen. It's also approx the charge out rate around here for trade companies .

Average employed top of the South tradesman earns somewhere between $22 and $28 per hour AFAIK. You may get a wee bit more in Christchurch if you are thinking to head that way.

ref the shortages lists. You've stuck with this so long , you deserve a break mate.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 2:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd imagine these are self-employed tradesmen. It's also approx the charge out rate around here for trade companies .

Average employed top of the South tradesman earns somewhere between $22 and $28 per hour AFAIK. You may get a wee bit more in Christchurch if you are thinking to head that way.

ref the shortages lists. You've stuck with this so long , you deserve a break mate.
Self employed trademen would charge themselves out at that rate, as would business owners. For example, a plumbing firm we got in charged us $70 per hour but obviously the person who turned up to do the work got less.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
Self employed tradesmen would charge themselves out at that rate, as would business owners. For example, a plumbing firm we got in charged us $70 per hour but obviously the person who turned up to do the work got less.
Indeedy & Exactamonte.

The ole employee would be getting $22 -$28 or so.

SignMakerGIles will most likely need to be employed for a fair old while so will be looking at employee rates.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking to OH - he says with an agency you would be looking at around $25ph. On top of that, they pay your ACC levy plus 8% holiday pay. You would usually work 40 hours plus a week.
Hope that helps