Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

carnivorous culture

carnivorous culture

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Canada Southbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default carnivorous culture

I'm by no means a vegetarian, but when I was in Auckland the restaurants seemed to all serve a main course of meat, piled onto a mash of potato, or kumara which is like a yam. Now there's sentence run on. Anyhow, you'd be lucky to get a few leaves of spinach, and had to ask for a dish of carrots or green beans. Is this reflective of the national diet?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: carnivorous culture

Originally Posted by Canada Southbound
I'm by no means a vegetarian, but when I was in Auckland the restaurants seemed to all serve a main course of meat, piled onto a mash of potato, or kumara which is like a yam. Now there's sentence run on. Anyhow, you'd be lucky to get a few leaves of spinach, and had to ask for a dish of carrots or green beans. Is this reflective of the national diet?
Never noticed that in a resterant and wouldn't moan if i did, don't like veggies , i think that was the type of resterant you were at, wasn'i called a steak house was it? I think national diet here is quite varied depending on your social group.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

No.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. I only ate at one steak house, the others were full menu restaurants. I didn't do any grocery shopping. I have a mixed diet, I try to get a bit of everything in.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Not in the slightest. Maybe outside of the cities, diet can be a bit more meat and 2 veg - stunning eateries all over the place - where did you eat in Auckland?

And great seafood.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Not in the slightest. Maybe outside of the cities, diet can be a bit more meat and 2 veg - stunning eateries all over the place - where did you eat in Auckland?

And great seafood.
A few places on Ponsonby road, down at the harbourfront etc... I did notice the quality of food and service to be very high. When I finally get there to live, I will
be cooking for myself every day anyway.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hope not

Of course meat was a big part of our diet but about 10 years ago we started moving more towards white meat and alot more fish.

Dont remember ever having a lack of veges? Only complaint would be when veges are overdone but thats dependant on place you go and how concerned they are on you returning.

Just be wary of tarnishing an entire countrys culinery based on one city - My wife did until i took her to some places back in my home town where we actually waited 40 mins for the owner to walk back from the boat ramp with a huge snapper and then another 10 mins for it to be steamed and delivered to our table. (the waitress literally called him on the mobile to see what he was bringing in - fish of the day).

nothing better though then good home cooked Kai.

Kiwi
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:35 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience on the South Island the kiwis do eat more meat than the diet I was used to in the uk.
The Maori people seem to eat a lot of meat too.
We can't afford to eat out anyways so it makes no difference to us what the restaurants have on their menus and we eat lots and lots of chicken and fish because it's cheap when on special.