Caravan??

Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caravan??

Is it worth bringing a Caravan to NZ, I know they can be expensive out there and we currently have a nice little 4 berth with everything in it. If we should bring it out, how much will it cost?? has anyone done this? do you have to ship it in a container?? do you pay import tax on it?

Basically is it worth bringing or shall we sell it??
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caravan??

Originally Posted by teebrown
Is it worth bringing a Caravan to NZ, I know they can be expensive out there and we currently have a nice little 4 berth with everything in it. If we should bring it out, how much will it cost?? has anyone done this? do you have to ship it in a container?? do you pay import tax on it?

Basically is it worth bringing or shall we sell it??
look on www.trademe.co.nz

Navigate your way around the site and you will find there are a few 'vans for sale on the site, this will give you an idea of what it will cost to replace. They are very very expensive over here apparently, thus you may be better bringing it over. So long as its 2nd hand, ie over a certain age I doubt if you would pay any tax on it if you are coming here with PR or a w/visa. It would have to be containerised like a car. Dependent on size of your unit shipping could be anywhere from £2000-£3500 plus ins.

There will be doubtless endless paperwork and some kind of stringent mech/safety check upon arrival.. If you do ship it make sure its cleaner than a new pin or MAF will remove your shirt, pants etc.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Hi there

We looked into the possibility of bringing over a campervan, though after reading the cost of living threads we've changed our minds and have decided to bring a caravan or folding camper instead.

We don't start our immigration process until next year so I haven't made it any further than collecting contact information. The email I've copied below was sent by someone very helpful at NZ Land Transport, and is where we intend to begin - when we decide what we're going to bring with us.

Good luck anyway, hope it's of some use and not a wild goose chase. Apologies for the format, I've cut and paste directly from the e-mail.

Although Land Transport New Zealand endeavours to provide helpful information regarding the importation of vehicles, it is not our function to offer advice about the purchase and importation of particular vehicles.

For your information the following Land Transport New Zealand website www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/index.html is available for you to make an informed decision.

If you require further advice about a particular vehicle, you should contact an Entry Certifier (see Infosheet 1.67 for contact details) or a New Zealand representative of the vehicle manufacturer.

The organisations listed below are appointed by the Director of Land Transport to advise on the suitability of vehicles for import. They carry out entry certification of imported used vehicles and new vehicles that are imported by persons other than the vehicle manufacturer’s representative in New Zealand :

Automobile Association (AA), phone +64 9 966 8800, fax +64 9 966 8893, email [email protected]
On Road New Zealand, phone +64 9 444 6921, fax +64 9 444 1827
Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ), phone +64 9 573 3055, fax +64 9 573 3059
Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ), phone +64 4 381 6500, fax +64 4 381 6530, email [email protected].
I have also provided a link to "MIA list - Contacts for compliance information", should you have further compliance questions.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/imp.../mia-list.html

I have also provided links to Customs and MAF as you may wish to check what their requirements are when importing a vehicle into New Zealand .

www.customs.govt.nz/
www.maf.govt.nz/
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, it's gives me a starter.